Headlight issues...ballast? Ignitor? Short?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Headlight issues...ballast? Ignitor? Short?

car year: 2004

Ok so I have thoroughly done a search on all issues relating to the HID issue with the ballasts, ignitors and possibly the grounding for the projectors being bad or the fuse box connections need to be cleaned.

Here is my situation and it is driving me nuts!

The HID's will both come on or just 1 will or neither will.
The fog lights or the middle lights will sometimes come on and sometimes not either.
There has been a moment where I have plugged only 1 side and gotten both the projector and fog to come on...then go and plug the other one up and gotten all lights to come on. it will stay lit like this until i either switch it off and try to turn them back on and they will both not light up anymore.

Can the ballast or ignitor be bad if it comes on like this?
Im assuming there is a short somewhere?

Im just not quite convinced the ballast is bad as I have even gone as far as opening it up and looking at the board for any corrosion. looks perfectly clean.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you turn on and turn off right away. If you see the light sparking inside the light. Then the ballast are bad.
I think most off the time the balllast are bad. But remove the bumber are easy but take your time doing it. It took me about 2-3 hours to remove and replace it
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 AM
5th Gear

i have the bumper and everything completely out. i will check for the sparkling later. i just dont want to buy a ballast and that not be the issue as they are not cheap either.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM
5th Gear

okay so heres what i did...i took my ballasts and hooked it up to a TSX headlight and they come on perfectly fine turning off and on. so my last conclusion is either the ignitor is bad or there is a short somewhere in my wiring...or possibly i didnt clean the ground wires enough? i will try and test my wires tomorrow with a multimeter and see how that goes..
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
5th Gear

anyone??!!?!

so today i took my ballasts along with ignitors...hooked up from a car battery charger with clamps and hooked it up to the ballast. the lightbulbs lit up right away and stayed on. brought them back home, hooked it up and still intermittent.

during the times when the projectors does not light up, i can hear a buzzing sound from the ignitor for like 2-3 seconds and nothing.

during the times when it does light up, no buzzing sound.

i might just go out and buy 1 ignitor cable tomorrow since it is only 30 bucks.

this has been driving me NUTS!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i would think at this point with your troubleshooting steps that the problem lies with the car and its ability to provide power. Did you check your grounds yet? HIDs in my experience are very picky about getting a good ground.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 AM
5th Gear

so it appears to be the ignitor. so weird though. when mines were tested with the car battery charger, they seemed to light up fine but not on the car. with the new ignitor on the car, it fired right up. I think one of my ballasts is bad to because my light bulb kinda sparkles before turning on and it looks like the light does not have much power coming from it. 120 for the ballast and 80 for both ignitors...guess its better than paying retail even though these are used.
The following users liked this post:
stokesey (04-04-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:49 PM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your grounds

There’s grounding points behind the lower portion of the air box behind in the front wheel well. Its bolted to the frame in the engine bay and behind the washer fluid reservoir. All behind the bumper so you would have to remove your bumper. Those ground I assume are for your engine fan too.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Smooth_22z
There’s grounding points behind the lower portion of the air box behind in the front wheel well. Its bolted to the frame in the engine bay and behind the washer fluid reservoir. All behind the bumper so you would have to remove your bumper. Those ground I assume are for your engine fan too.
Check the date of the thread...