Having low RPM when changing gears (Auto remanuf tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 03:03 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having low RPM when changing gears (Auto remanuf tranny)

Hi everyone. my name is Marvin and i just recently purchased an (lemon) 06TL (5T). I just want to share to you my experience with my TL. The first day i bought the car, i thought it was great. The engine was quiet, smooth drive on the highway, and then brought it home and parked it in the garage. The 2nd day i drove the car, it died. So, i got it towed and brought it to the mechanic and replaced the serpentine belt. Drove the car for couple of days and then the car stalled @ 2/3rd gear. Long story short, Tranny failure.

I brought the car to a different mechanic and he purchased a re-manufactured tranny from Acura and installed it. I've been driving the car for almost 4 weeks and i haven't had any issues, but i have noticed that the RPM stays at 2500 RPM while cruising at 110KM/hr... I thought to myself, i'd like to see how quick my TL, so on the stop light, i pressed the gas and monitor the movement of my RPM when the car shift gears.
2nd to 3rd gear the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000
3rd to 4th gear the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000
4th to 5th again the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000

I am not a car expert, but i am fairly mechanically inclined. I am concern that there is still something wrong with the Vehicle, but can't quite figure it out. So i decided to book an inspection at Acura to find out if there is something not right with my car.

Thank you for taking some time reading my post. Does anybody have the same issue or advise to give?

Cheers.

Marvin
Old 03-29-2016, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Nivram.E
Hi everyone. my name is Marvin and i just recently purchased an (lemon) 06TL (5T). I just want to share to you my experience with my TL. The first day i bought the car, i thought it was great. The engine was quiet, smooth drive on the highway, and then brought it home and parked it in the garage. The 2nd day i drove the car, it died. So, i got it towed and brought it to the mechanic and replaced the serpentine belt. Drove the car for couple of days and then the car stalled @ 2/3rd gear. Long story short, Tranny failure.

I brought the car to a different mechanic and he purchased a re-manufactured tranny from Acura and installed it. I've been driving the car for almost 4 weeks and i haven't had any issues, but i have noticed that the RPM stays at 2500 RPM while cruising at 110KM/hr... I thought to myself, i'd like to see how quick my TL, so on the stop light, i pressed the gas and monitor the movement of my RPM when the car shift gears.
2nd to 3rd gear the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000
3rd to 4th gear the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000
4th to 5th again the RPM went up to 3500 then down to 2000

I am not a car expert, but i am fairly mechanically inclined. I am concern that there is still something wrong with the Vehicle, but can't quite figure it out. So i decided to book an inspection at Acura to find out if there is something not right with my car.

Thank you for taking some time reading my post. Does anybody have the same issue or advise to give?

Cheers.

Marvin
Seems to be revving high. I don't know what could be causing it though. At 110km/h I'm close to 2000 rpms.
The following users liked this post:
Nivram.E (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:33 PM
6th Gear

@vpasla1 - How high is your car's RPM when changing gears?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nivram.E
@vpasla1 - How high is your car's RPM when changing gears?
I usually don't shift as early as shift points but I believe the gears will change around 2000-ish rpms if I'm not on it. First to second might be a bit higher.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Sounds like your transmission is slipping.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb92
Sounds like your transmission is slipping.
I agree with this. It seems like its flaring. It might be too late for the pressure switches and 3x3 drain and fill as well.

Your best bet would be to take it back to the mechanic that installed it because I would hope there's some warranty on the remanufactured trans.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:55 AM
6th Gear

Thanks guys.

Yeah the tranny is under warranty.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
Have you taken this up with the place you purchased the car from?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:11 PM
6th Gear

@flyromeo3 it was a private sale, unfortunately
Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Update:

After i brought my car to Acura for inspection, they gave me a list of items that needed to be replaced/look into.

The important items that was on the lists were to change the accessory and timing belt and water pump.

The other issues that was on the lists were spark plug, rear sway bushing, brake fluid, and power steering.

Accessory and timing belts were replaced (mechanic).
Tensioner and water pump were replaced (mechanic).

DYI
all break pads - done
spark plugs - done
brake fluid - not done
power steering -not done
rear sway bushing -not done

After replacing the belts, water pump, spark plugs i noticed a significant improvement to shifting. I find the RPM is lower during idle (900-1000RPM) cruising RPM @ 2000. When shifting gears, the car no longer have that hesitation.

Hoping to drive this car for another 100K

Cheers