has my transmission died and gone to hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has my transmission died and gone to hell

Hey peeps,

This was soo sudden.i drove the car to my brothers house which is about 5 mins from mine and everything was fine. hung out for a couple of hours and got back in my car and turned it on, again everything was fine. i put the car into reverse and got off his driveway. When i was in the clear i put it drive and accelerated. Now this is when i heard or felt a kind of "snap" sound some serious clunking as my car began to lose speed on its own and eventually come to a complete stop. the entire time im hearing a clunking sound or rattling from under the car. i go to put it in park and the shifter (i just called it that) isnt moving, like at all. im able to turn the car off and once off im able to put the car into park.

turning the car on without shifting and pushing on the gas, gives me a tight and proper rev, not as if its slipping..but once i take it right out of gear into drive its stuck not goign anywhere.
Im actually bracing myself for the worst, as ive had the transmission replaced on this 05 acura TL at 100,000km now sitting at 207,000 im assuming thats the lifespan of these things.

also if i hook up my ODB to the car will it give me any sort of tranny codes or anything in regards to this problem?

any insight or any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

Anyone?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:48 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Sounds like an axle failure and not your transmission.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
Look under your car to see if your axles are still intact
Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks!!! Looks like you guys were right. The front passenger side axle snapped. Sorry for the late reply i was out of town for work.