Harsh vibration at 1,700rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007 | 11:57 AM
Instructor

Harsh vibration at 1,700rpm

My two-week old '07 TL 5AT runs very smoothly in general, but there is a very noticeable vibration that only occurs between about 1,600 and 1,800 rpm, in all gears. I can feel it through the gas pedal, the steering wheel, and generally through the seat. I'm pretty sure I noticed it on a test drive of another TL before purchase, so I'm assuming it's just the way it is. Is this true, and does it settle down with age? If it's normal, I'll just ignore it.
Old 08-18-2007 | 02:20 PM
Cablevision Employee

Oh man, i have an 04 and NEVER felt that bro, I would suggest taking it back before you get stuck somewhere.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2007 | 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

it sounds like the torque converter, see your acura dealer for further diagnosis as it could just be low on fluid or damaged.
Old 08-20-2007 | 10:33 AM
Instructor

Update - when in neutral, the vibration is not felt at all at the same RPMs - but when in 'drive', is noticeable in all gears. I may have exaggerated when I said I could feel it through the steering wheel and seat; it's really just very noticeable through the gas pedal, and audibly. I could swear I noticed this on a different brand-new 07TL 5AT that I test drove the week before I purchased mine; I thus assumed it was just the 'way it is'. When driving on the freeway, 1,800 rpm seems to correspond to about 65, which is where I seem to get stuck a lot of time!
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:32 AM
Instructor

There has been numerous discussions regarding this on this site. Please do a search for "1500 RPM vibration" or "1800 RPM vibration", or "drivetrain vibration". I have a 07 5AT TL and mine has the same problem too. There is a TSB on this for 04 TL but dealers are applying the same TSB to 07 cars too.
Old 08-21-2007 | 08:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDs1
There has been numerous discussions regarding this on this site. Please do a search for "1500 RPM vibration" or "1800 RPM vibration", or "drivetrain vibration". I have a 07 5AT TL and mine has the same problem too. There is a TSB on this for 04 TL but dealers are applying the same TSB to 07 cars too.
Wow! Thanks for the pointers. Lots of threads to read!

Seems like there are many different causes, but for my specific issue (see description below), it sounds like it could be one of two issues - drivetrain vibration or exhaust vibration.

For drivetrain vibration
This seems to be the relevant TSB:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b05-017.PDF

And a good description in this post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=27
(Extract: The recommended corrective action was to install a dynamic damper onto the bottom of the front subframe near the rear engine mount. The operation number is 2180A1 and the part # is P/N 50207-SEP305. When I told the service manager there was a TSB on this problem he immediately said "Yeah, it requires a dynamic damper." (I then produced a printout of the TSB) To make a long story short, the part was installed and it eliminated 90% of the vibration)

My concern about this cause and associated fix is that it seems everyone only complained about the problem in 5th gear, while my issue is in all gears.

For Exhaust vibration
These posts suggest it's an exhaust hanger issue:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=179

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=25
"“LOOSEN BRACKET TO NEUTRALIZE. BRACKET WAS FROM OIL PAN TO EXHAUST."

MDs1, it seems your problem did not go away completely, after having the damper installed? Did you pursue the exhaust aspect? Thanks again!

To recap my problem:
  • brand new '07 TL 5AT (~1,000 miles) - noticed from day 1 (also noticed on a different brand new model that I test drove)
  • Always notice from 1,600-1,800 rpm.
  • Only when in gear, not in neutral - that is, when stationary in neutral, I can rev through the range with no vibration
  • Only when engine is 'loaded', not when coasting (this one is harder to 'prove')
  • Applies to all gears (at least, noticeable on take-off (1st/2nd) and on freeway cruise at about 68mph (5th). Sometimes I find myself 'stuck' at 68mph due to traffic, so I drop from 5th to 4th and it goes away at the same exact speed.
  • Hot or cold engine, no difference
Old 08-22-2007 | 04:02 PM
Instructor

Hi Steerpike,

My car has exactly all the problems you mention in your post. The drone and vibration is more noticeable between 1500 - 1800 RPM range, in all gears but more noticeable on the 5th. The vibration is also more apparent when going on an incline. The car feels very sluggish at these RPM bands. The dynamic damper was installed on my car but I would say that I don't see any noticeable improvement. I try hard to love this car but the more I drive it the more I hate it due to the vibration problem. One of these days I will get rid of it for something else.

TC.

MDs1
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:30 PM
Instructor

MDs1 - I finally found your post ... https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/anyone-try-have-gamefly-154957/ lots of folks experiencing the problem.

How about the exhaust angle - did you pursue that with your dealer?

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to see the service folks about this. I will go armed with the service bulletin, and my description, but I'm less clear on how to present the exhaust option.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:53 AM
Instructor

Hi Steerpike,

My dealer didn't think the problem was with the exhaust and so nothing was done on that angle. Please do let me know if you get to do anything with the exhaust and if it works. Also, good luck with your visit to the dealer tomorrow. Please keep posted how it goes.

All the best.

MDs1
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:05 PM
Instructor

Any updates Steerpike? Did you visit the dealer today? Thx.

MDs1
Old 08-25-2007 | 08:13 AM
Intermediate

MDs1, please let us know if they fix your car or apply any TSB's to it for the vibration.... I have posted on this before as well. Don't let the dealer fool you into thinking its your tires, because its not...I replaced mine and still have this crappy vibration.
Old 08-25-2007 | 11:41 AM
Instructor

Hi Bandit TL,

Yes, they did put the TSB i.e. dynamic damper but as I mentioned in couple of posts below that I didn't see much of an improvement - the drone noise was slightly reduced but the vibration is still there. I tested several other 07 TLs on the lot and all of them seem to have more or less the same characteristics. The head mechanic thought I was very sensitive to the vibration. In comparison, my 99 Accord Ex V6 was smooth as silk and I really enjoyed driving that car.

Well, reading all the posts in this forum about this problem it seems that none found true resolution or complete cure of the problem. If anyone did, would appreciate their shairing the info so I can also find a remedy.

All the best.

MDs1
Old 08-25-2007 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

A very experienced mechanic drove the car. He told me he'd been with Acura 14 years, and was very nice. He said he could feel the vibration, but did not think it was unusual. He took me for a drive in another brand new TL, and felt the same vibration. He took the TSB I had printed out, plus the two posts about the exhaust hanger. He said he would be in touch with Torrance, the R&D center for Acura. I was slightly optimistic.

Later that day, the service advisor called me to say that they had no fix. He said this this did not mean the issue was closed, but there was no fix as of yet.

Basically, I think this was a polite way of saying they were doing nothing.

I've been trying to ignore the issue, but it is annoying me each time I drive.

I'm still pondering the next move. Ideally, all affected drivers would contact Acura about the issue, but that's hard. I also wonder how the two posters who posted the 'exhaust hanger' fix are doing - whether it was a long term fix. I've been too busy to do the research but will try to get to it soon.
Old 08-26-2007 | 07:28 PM
Instructor

Hi Steerpike,

Yes, as I mentioned, I also drove several cars on the lot and they all had the same vibration - some more and others less. There is no fix for this problem looks like. I don't think the two posters who resolved the issue by manipulating exhaust hangers are on this borard any longer. If they are, their input would have been very valuable.

You should probably go back again or complain with the Acura client service and insist on looking on it. It took me three tires with the service manager at my dealership before they even put on the damper. But as I mentioned, it is not a parmanent solution to the problem.

I hate this car!

MDs1
Old 09-06-2007 | 02:53 AM
Instructor

While not planning to give up on this issue with Acura, an incident the other day gave me an idea for how I could possibly reduce the impact of it.

A few days ago, I was in a hurry after going for a run, and kept my thick-soled sneakers on to drive home (normally, I always like to drive in my thin soled shoes). I noticed that I could hardly feel the vibration through my foot, and figured it must be the sneakers.

The vibration can be heard, felt through the steering wheel, and felt through the gas pedal. But for me, the feeling through the foot is by far the most noticeable, and irritating - it's like a tickling sensation on the sole of my foot!

So today, I took a sheet of foam, some two-sided tape, some insulation foam tape, some felt strips, and made a 'pad' that fit on the gas pedal. Looks hideous at the moment, of course, but it definitely made a difference. There's still a very slight 'tickle' felt through my foot at ~1,800 rpm under load, but it's a lot less noticeable. I'm going to tinker with different types (weights/stiffness) of foam to see if there is one type that totally deadens the vibration.

Looking at the gas pedal (see this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=72 for pics of the gas pedal), and feeling how it's all assembled, the base seems pretty loose and the pedal itself is very light, but the real 'action' for the gas pedal is the rod behind the foot plate. That rod is probably transmitting all the vibration to the foot plate. There should be some way to completely dampen all that vibration!

I know Acura should do something about this, but I've felt similar vibrations in an Audi Quattro and possibly other cars ... and since it's been with the TL for years, it seems like they are not necessarily able to fix it...
Old 09-06-2007 | 02:00 PM
Instructor

Hi Steerpike,

Your post made me lough...lol.

I am seriously considering getting rid of my TL because of this vibration (only if I can line up a 2008 RL with Tech package in a good price range - which is very unlikely given that there is no Acura incentive on the 08's and unfortunately there aren't any 2007 RL with Tech package in the Northern VA area).

Good luck to with your quest for finding a solution to the drivetrain vibration problem.

Best.

MDs
Old 09-10-2007 | 05:53 PM
8th Gear

Just to throw in my two cents MDs1... I have put 2000 miles on 08 TL and have felt it from day one. Drove another car and all that from dealer, I personally do think the tires have something to do with it. The navi's come with Michlens and the non navi's come with bstones. My service manager basically said he knows its the tires as well.

When I drive 65-75 I feel like this car is a 19K car. It vibrates and the road noise is off the charts. I try to love this car as well which has its pro's but for 33k its easy to pick out the cons compared to the other cars I drove before I purchased this one. I guess the resale value has to be worth something.

I have talked with Acura Services direct and they said there is nothing they will do b/c its a personal preference and not a problem with the car? I called them with 660 miles on the car. Needless to say I am not getting anywhere with my dealer nor Acrua and feel ripped off driving a brand new vibrating car.

I am taking it to a tire store to have the wheel balance and alignment checked to see if there is anything they can do. Sending the bill to my dealer.
Old 09-11-2007 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

Hi Kirk94,

The problem that I am experiencing has nothing to do with the tire. The vibration I am experiencing has a drone noise also associated with it. The vibration problem with my car is only experienced at certain RPM range i.e. 1500-1800 RPM no matter what gear you are in or what speed you are driving.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

MDs1
Old 09-12-2007 | 08:23 AM
8th Gear

Mine 2 has the same drone, sounds like a hum sound coming from the front right of the car speeds 10-65.

I took my car in to a Big O tire where our company account is and they balanced and rotated my tires, they said both drivers side tires were all out of wack and all over the place, They said they had to add quite a bit of weight to one of them and then put the best 2 tires on the front.

I noticed the drone went down a bit, it is still there but not as bad which makes me wonder...the vibration is now in the back of the car and not the front as much.

I am going to dealer with the invoice to give them a ear full for me doing thier job. I have 2000 miles on a 08 and shouldnt have to go through all this, not to mention buying two cars from them in 3 weeks time.

This is what I have found so far and I will try to get to the bottom of it b/c its really bothering me when I drive on the hyw. By the looks of it 50% of TL owners have this problem.
Old 09-12-2007 | 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

just as a thought, it could be the motor mounts binding, causing the vibration. Have the mounts nuteralized by the dealership, the loosen them, shift back and forth from park to reverse to drive a few times and torque them back to spec.
Old 09-17-2007 | 10:57 AM
Instructor

Kirk94 - I too am positive it's not the tires. I experience the vibration when I pass through the 1,600-1,900 rpm range in all gears, but most noticeably when taking off (1st/second) and again in 4th (~40mph) and 5th ((~60mph). It's also only noticeable under load - I can 'coast' at the problematic speeds/rpms and not feel it at all (and I can rev the engine while stationary at the stated RPM range and not feel it either).

There is a moderate incline on the freeway I drive home on every day, and on that incline, if I hold the speed at around 60-65mph, the vibration is very noticeable. If I use the 'speed shift' to drop down into 4th gear, causing the rpm to jump but the car speed to remain the same, the vibration completely disappears - so that tells me it's not wheel/tire based.

Sounds like you may have several other things going on, but try shifting gear when you feel it, maintaining the same road speed. For MDs1 and I, and others, we're all saying the vibration goes away. If yours stays, maybe you have tire/wheel issues.

csmeance - you could be right. I'm coming up for my first oil change, and I will push them to do the engine mount thing, and also, maybe, to look at the exhaust hanger issue - both of which are presumably minor tweaks they could do.

My trick above - to put some padding on the gas pedal - has actually made the problem much less noticeable! I can still feel the vibration through the streering wheel, but the annoying/tickling sensation through the foot is now almost gone, and that was the part I could not get used to.
Old 10-23-2007 | 12:05 PM
10th Gear

Has anyone found a solution to the steering wheel vibration? I have an arbitration hearing with Honda on Friday and I am going to bring it to their attention that there are several other people having this isssue. (Can someone say Class Action Law Suit) They have tried to tell me that the car is operating as it should be and that they won't do anything which is why I had to pursue my complaint to the level I have. No where does it state that this car should vibrate this way or I would not have purchased the car. Not all of TL's are producing this same issue which is why I am sure I didn't feel it when I test drove one before I purchased mine. The dealer has replaced all four of my tires for various reason and I have only had the car 3 months. The first tire was replaced 3 days after purchase! Let me know your thoughts!
Thanks all!
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:49 PM
FTW

Didnt read the thread, but I had a vibration @ the 1500mark, and it was a loose HEATSHIELD.

Told them to look at that, and they found 2 bolts not tightened down correctly, and they had to adjust it as well.
Old 10-23-2007 | 04:41 PM
ber in st. louis

I have it too.

I have a 2007 TL with almost 9K miles on it and am taking it in tomorrow for the same issue. Vibration through steering wheel and gas pedal in all gears between 1500 - 2000 RPM. I will show them the posts and see if they come up with anything different or have any solutions. This has been very frustrating for me as well.
Old 10-23-2007 | 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Keep me posted on what your dealer tells you...seems like all the dealers are saying the same thing...the tires are out of balance or need road forced. That is what they have done to mine several times and the problem still exists. They also put a dynamic dampner on it and of course it didn't help. I'm pretty sure, from the research I have done, Honda Corp. is aware of the problem but refuses to accept it due to the fact they will have to pay out a lot money to people to correct the issue. I hate this car!!
Old 10-24-2007 | 07:22 AM
8th Gear

To update what they did to mine, I took my car to a local tire shop to have them check the balance on them b/c acura checked them and said they were fine and it was just as bad.

The tire place said two of the tires were all out of wack, they took all the weights off the two bad tires, rebalanced them and put them on the back. This somewhat got rid of the vibration at (70mph) in the steering wheel but the drone was now in the back of the car.

I asked the tire place to put in description what they found and what they did. Took the invoice to the dealer, after an hour of voicing my displeasure and wanting tire upgrades to the Pilots that comes on the Navi TL, they offered to replace the wheels and tires with the same ones I have or charge me 140$ a tire to upgrade.

I still feel this is a bait and swith tactic, they let you test drive the Navi's trying to push the higher priced car on you then you think the only difference is a navigation system yet to find out the tires are bottom of the barrel in the tire world on the base model.

The vibration is pretty much completely gone and the drone is completely gone. I have a stong opinion that a few of the rims were out of round or bent or something and out of alignment. Im not sure how they tie these cars down on the trucks they ship them on but this has cured my issues with vibration. I still dont care for the OEM tires but I am not buying new ones until they are done.

Im sure some have other issues than this and could not imagine trying to get the dealer to pay any attention to you. I took mine in for the rear deck vibrating and my tint scratching and they said they fixed replaced the rear deck to stop the vibration to only see the same rags that I stuffed in the truck to try and stop it. Ive had it with new car dealers, I will never buy new again b/c you expect more than you will ever get from the dealer and the manufacture.
Old 10-29-2007 | 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

I'm having the same exact problem with my 07 TL type S. I would gladly join in a class action lawsuit if we could get enough people involved. I know this issue is widespread and Honda doesn't want to pay to fix the problem. So much for Honda/Acura reliablity. I'll never buy another Honda made product because they don't stand behind their product.
Old 10-30-2007 | 11:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by danslrdii
I'm having the same exact problem with my 07 TL type S. I would gladly join in a class action lawsuit if we could get enough people involved. I know this issue is widespread and Honda doesn't want to pay to fix the problem. So much for Honda/Acura reliablity. I'll never buy another Honda made product because they don't stand behind their product.
'exact same problem' - same as my problem (original poster in this thread) or the problem described by the poster before you (kirk94)? My problem is an engine / exhaust vibration that is heard/felt at approx 1600-2000rpm, and is felt in all gears - thus, at (eg) 65mph, 40-something, etc. kirk94's problem is wheel/tire based.
Old 10-31-2007 | 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Angry The Neverending Story - Vibrations/droning 08 TL

Well, the story continues with the 08 TL. I just bought an 08 TL and noticed the vibration and droning noise. I have had the car for about one month and it has been in the shop twice. On the third meeting with the tech and service manager, they immediately said the problem was" normal characteristic" of the car and that we could meet with a DPSM. THey would not even try to fix the car the third time. I am so angry I could spit I thought I did enough research on the vehicle. Who would ever think to type in vibrations, Acura TL in the Yahoo search engine. I hate this car.
Old 11-01-2007 | 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

My problem is an excessive vibration noticed mainly from 60 to 80 mph in 5th gear AT. I believe I can rule out any tire/wheel issue because my dealer made 5 attempts to fix the tires and wheels. It is obviously something internal either engine or transmission related but the dealer kept insisting that it was a tire or wheel problem. They are in denial about the problem and are hoping I will just disappear. Not the case as I'm currently in a Lemon Law suit with an abritration hearing in the process of being scheduled. Does anyone else have experience with Lemon law claims with Acura?
Old 11-03-2007 | 05:57 PM
10th Gear

I had my arbitration hearing on Friday the 26th (last week) I got my results today. I won!!! They have to replace my car. I am going to try to get them to replace with a TL with Navi and I'll just pay the difference. The rep they sent from Honda was a joke and had no evidence to back up the claim that it was the tires causing my vibration. You need to tell them when you go to your arbitration that the excessive attempts to repair will hurt the resale value of your car (carfax keeps reports of such), also tell them that if it was the tires and with all the repairs they have made the problem still exists/occurs and that as far as you're concerned it is a safety issue since they can't pin point the exact cause of the vibration. Also, I don't know what state you are in but in Ohio where I am, if the car has been subject to 3 or more repair attempts and the problem still exists then it can be classified as a lemon. Also, make sure that during the arbitration you stick to the facts and don't get into an argument with the honda rep. Speak directly to the arbitrator. The Honda rep they sent to mine tried to get me to argue with him and made a scene. It was funny. I completely ignored him and paid attention only to the arbitrator. Also, don't get into details about any problems you experienced with your dealer, again just stick with facts and numbers. Let me know if you have anymore questions about the hearing process and I'll be glad to try to answer them for you. Best of luck! Oh, one more thing, try to take as much documentation as possible with you. It helped me I think. I printed out things about how vibration can cause other problems with the car if not fixed, other possible causes of vibration outside of tires (that helped too, because my dealer made no attempt to search for other causes of this problem) Again, good luck!
Old 11-05-2007 | 08:26 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

does this apply to a 6MT type-s??? if i am in 5th or 6th gear in betweek 1500 and 2000rpms, there is a definite vibration. i am probably getting lower gas mileage because i dont let the engine go below 2000rpms because i dont want to feel the vibrations. i always thought it was normal till i saw this thread...
Old 11-12-2007 | 10:51 AM
Instructor

To the recent posters who believe the issue is not tire related, even though you feel it 'most' in 5th gear around 70mph, do you also feel it at the same RPM range in other gears? I FIRST noticed it while cruising at around 60-65mph, but I then noted the rpm at this speed (~1800), then paid attention as I shifted through the gears. I notice it most on take-off (1st/2nd), then 5th, but it is present in all gears.

The best test is this: Get on the freeway and cruise at 65 or so, where you can feel the vibration clearly. Then use the 'manual shift' feature to drop from 5th to 4th. For me, the car is infinitely smoother in 4th at higher rpm than in 5th. Then do the opposite; in 4th, slow down to where the rpm is again around 1800; hold that speed; shift to 5th and notice that the vibration is now much less in 5th.

I have already complained about this and taken it in; today I have my first regular oil change, where I will also formally document the issue. I do think it contributes to the very pervasive rattles in the car.
Old 11-14-2007 | 07:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by combsrd
Well, the story continues with the 08 TL. I just bought an 08 TL and noticed the vibration and droning noise. I have had the car for about one month and it has been in the shop twice. On the third meeting with the tech and service manager, they immediately said the problem was" normal characteristic" of the car and that we could meet with a DPSM. THey would not even try to fix the car the third time. I am so angry I could spit I thought I did enough research on the vehicle. Who would ever think to type in vibrations, Acura TL in the Yahoo search engine. I hate this car.
Did you have any luck with your car yet?
Old 11-14-2007 | 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by danslrdii
My problem is an excessive vibration noticed mainly from 60 to 80 mph in 5th gear AT. I believe I can rule out any tire/wheel issue because my dealer made 5 attempts to fix the tires and wheels. It is obviously something internal either engine or transmission related but the dealer kept insisting that it was a tire or wheel problem. They are in denial about the problem and are hoping I will just disappear. Not the case as I'm currently in a Lemon Law suit with an abritration hearing in the process of being scheduled. Does anyone else have experience with Lemon law claims with Acura?
When is your arbitration hearing? I'm curious to know how it went? Also did someone by the name of Jan Wheeler call you after you filed your complaint? She is with Honda's arbitration dept. She is a f-ing idiot. She is the one who told me that they were not going to do anything for me and they would deny the claim (too bad I beat them and they have to replace my car haha) anyway, she is being shady with me. She does not want to replace my car with another TL unless I sign a waiver that states I was told the car could still have this problem..um yeah, I don't think I'm that stupid. Honda is full of sh!t.. they have a defective car and don't want to own up. They are trying to get me to pay thousands to upgrade to an MDX ummmmm yeah no thank you. If I wanted a friggen SUV that is what i would have got. They also said they would just repurchase mine so I could go somewhere else. Why on earth would they want their customer to go somewhere else. If I told my loyal customers that BS, I would be fired. They don't want to take responsibility even after they have lost the case. So anyway, keep me posted on how you turn out. I can't believe I am still dealing with this even AFTER I have been deemed the WINNER of my case.
Old 11-15-2007 | 04:57 PM
2nd Gear

No I have not had luck with my car. The DPSM came down and rode in the car. Admitted that there definitely was a problem. Jumped right to trying to provide us a replacement car. But the car they wanted to replace it with had more vibrations than my car, problem with the air conditioner, and rattles in the dash on the passenger side. Would not giver us another car to test drive. Now they want to see if we will accept an RSX or MDX. This has been going on for ove one month now. Congratulatons on winning your arbitration. Hope it all works out.
Old 11-16-2007 | 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by combsrd
No I have not had luck with my car. The DPSM came down and rode in the car. Admitted that there definitely was a problem. Jumped right to trying to provide us a replacement car. But the car they wanted to replace it with had more vibrations than my car, problem with the air conditioner, and rattles in the dash on the passenger side. Would not giver us another car to test drive. Now they want to see if we will accept an RSX or MDX. This has been going on for ove one month now. Congratulatons on winning your arbitration. Hope it all works out.
Thanks!

Have you driven a TL with Navi? The ride is totally different in my opinion.
Old 10-21-2011 | 02:23 PM
10th Gear

Yeah I've got an 08 Type-S with the auto and it does the same thing. My friend in maintenance gave me the service bulletin for the 04's and he told me it would bolt right up for any TL with the automatic. And sure enough it did, and the vibe and noise went away. For under a 100 bucks its a great fix.