Grinding metal noise when driving slow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Grinding metal noise when driving slow

When i drive slow, under 20 mph...i have this crazy rubbing/griding noise that i thought it was my side mount (which i just replaced) but didnt fix. i am still trying to determine if only drive slow or the engine is at coasting (low RPM) producing this -- it definitely something rubbing as i go over bumps at low speed...at high speed it doesnt make any noise....

I have Eibach spring and Neuspeed shocks - front and rear camber kit-- the noise definitely coming from the front passenger side of the car

I dont know if this is related or not..but whenever i turn the steering wheel all the way to the right...it make some loud squeaking and rubbing noise -- maybe bad cv joint??
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xedap1998
When i drive slow, under 20 mph...i have this crazy rubbing/griding noise that i thought it was my side mount (which i just replaced) but didnt fix. i am still trying to determine if only drive slow or the engine is at coasting (low RPM) producing this -- it definitely something rubbing as i go over bumps at low speed...at high speed it doesnt make any noise....

I have Eibach spring and Neuspeed shocks - front and rear camber kit-- the noise definitely coming from the front passenger side of the car

I dont know if this is related or not..but whenever i turn the steering wheel all the way to the right...it make some loud squeaking and rubbing noise -- maybe bad cv joint??
More information:
So today i got a chance to drive and further observe the noise. While driving it make very little noise- almost none - but when i break or right after i release my foot from the break...it when the noise most noticeable (or when releasing the foot from the break while going over a bump)....turning the steering wheel left and right sometime can reproducing the noise..

rack pinion?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if you're having the same issue that I'm having with my TL or not. I still have the stock suspension. Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you say that you replaced your engine mount and it still did it? Also, see my description of my problem I'm having in my thread and see if it sounds like it could be the same.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gentrysd
I don't know if you're having the same issue that I'm having with my TL or not. I still have the stock suspension. Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you say that you replaced your engine mount and it still did it? Also, see my description of my problem I'm having in my thread and see if it sounds like it could be the same.
My side mount was completely gone- fell a part-- just replaced it this weekend-- unless other mount (front) was gone as well
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Racer

The noise is completely gone after 15-20 mins of driving this morning...weird...it driving me nut...the weather is 60s-70s in houston
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

I'll try and remember to post a pic of my mount I think is busted tomorrow. I don't know if it's just an engine mount cover or if the design is so pathetic that the mount is just busted apart that bad, and see what you think.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

I'm just gonna repost my thread w/ in this one to hopefully make it easier for both of us to possibly get an answer.

Has anyone experienced a sound on their TL that sounds like it coming from the front right of the car. It almost sounds like it's suspension related (I just recently replaced my front struts, it was making this noise before and is still doing it) but all the control arms, tie-rod, and bushings seem solid. It's a heavy metal on metal sound and you can really hear it on slower speeds, especially on bumps in the road. I'm thinking it may be a busted engine mount on the top passenger side of the engine bay. Any takers?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by gentrysd
I'm just gonna repost my thread w/ in this one to hopefully make it easier for both of us to possibly get an answer.

Has anyone experienced a sound on their TL that sounds like it coming from the front right of the car. It almost sounds like it's suspension related (I just recently replaced my front struts, it was making this noise before and is still doing it) but all the control arms, tie-rod, and bushings seem solid. It's a heavy metal on metal sound and you can really hear it on slower speeds, especially on bumps in the road. I'm thinking it may be a busted engine mount on the top passenger side of the engine bay. Any takers?
The side engine mount is easy to see when bad. My was 2 pieces

My noise turned out to be the upper ball joint ( I have adjustable ball joint from spc I think or ingralls ) . Some shop like break check will give you a free front end check and tell you exactly what is wrong with it

Mine I can feel/ hear the noise when holding the top spoke of the rim while pulling in/out- the wheels move

They show me the joint was traveling half an in in and out

Hope this help

At first I had a friend pushing up and down the front if the car while I listen and I thought it was a bushing issue
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a similar noise but it was from my Left Rear wheel...after taking it apart I realized that the dust cover was rubbing up against rotor, it took me a few tries but I eventually got it to stop.