Fuel Door Staying Open (broken spring?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012 | 01:32 PM
Instructor

Fuel Door Staying Open (broken spring?)

I couldn't find any threads on this after searching the site and google and decided to make a new thread.

I seems the process is similar on other cars just wanted to make sure there wasn't a write up on here? I pulled the lever to get gas and it stayed up and wouldn't close. Now the gas door is flapping in the wind and it's terrible!

Anyone have this issue before?
Old 06-01-2012 | 02:16 PM
Instructor

i got the little deal that actually locks it down snagged on a pair of shorts one time and bent it on one of my other hondas. bent it back and worked again. cant say the tl is the same, but its worth a look. every other honda ive owned had the same setup. super easy to bend back into place.
Old 06-01-2012 | 02:58 PM
Instructor

spent some time taking a look at it. Took the plastic shroud off around the latch itself, everything was in good working order and functioning properly.

Took the carpet down in the back to check the latch itself, the latch pops out pretty easily. All the springs in the latch assy work flawlessly. I can see the button pulling in and out when I move the latch. When I take the assembly out of the hole it sits in, the button will release and seems to work flawlessly when I install it back, the button will recess into the latch!

I took all the pressure off the line and still can't get the button to release when I slide it into the hole.

Ugh, just my luck!
Old 06-02-2012 | 07:23 PM
Instructor

Stole this from another thread, this is the button. The handle is on a spring/wire system when you pull the lever up by your feet the wire is pulled tight and the spring is allowed to come back inside this popper and thus frees the door to swing open.

On my car, when I pull the lever, nothing happens because the switch is already recessed.

So If it reach in from the back side and pull the popper out of the cubby and back through the trunk, the popper button will pretrude out of the hole and the spring system will work flawlessly. If I route it back around the panel it will just simple pull and the button will go back in again as if the lever is pulled.

All the time I am making sure the lever has been pushed down.

I even removed the cable from the lever itself to allow tension to be let off and I still got nothing.