Front bumper cover rash repair.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Front bumper cover rash repair.

Since there is no "body" sub forum here for the 3rd gen TL, I figured I would do my inquiries here. I just got my 08 TL a few weeks back and after removing the front plate bracket, which us Indiana residents do not need, I noticed a few stress cracks and a pretty nice dent on the bumper cover. Nothing too drastic and honestly only noticeable to myself, then while parking in a "solo" spot at a local business in order to avoid any "door dings" etc... I pulled into a spot that had a higher curb than the rest of the lot, long story short... I scuffed up my front end pretty bad. So angry as I was at myself, I kept calm and blamed it on the fact that I was used to driving a Focus ST with a chopped nose and that this was going to eventually happen...lol. So I went to get an estimate to repair not only my inflicted damage, but the previous owner damage, and was quoted almost 800 bucks!!! I just don't have that kind of money to throw around at the moment. So, I was wondering if anyone of you have had any success with DIY repair on these front bumpers. I only wish to fix the rash that I made... (Illl post pics). Maybe some sanding and primer and some rattle can just to make it look better. I'm not talking a pro job, but an "airplane flying low will never notice it" kind of job. I can find touch up paint cans no prob... any suggestions for primer? and if needed plastic filler? I really love my TL and wish to make it look and run as great as it possibly can!!!! THANKS!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i know we all pride ourselves on our ride, especially since you just got the TL....but that is super minor!!
if you never done body work before, it might come out even WORSE than what it is...
I personally would leave it alone, since the bumper is the first line of defense...it WILL get abused by rock chips, bug gut etchings, cracked spider webbing from hitting something stationary, etc.

BUTT if you wish to repair yourself...take a look at some youtube videos...

find more vidz here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+repair+bumper
Old 06-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
All spider cracks need to be removed and have always used Evercoat Maxim Plastic repair when needed on bumpers/side-skirts, etc, but in my opinion when the work is completed on the cover, it will look worse if a touch up paint job is done rather than a complete cover repaint.

$800 to do the complete job is certainly a reasonable cost considering the work that needs to be done, probably more than you imagine as it does take time to prep the cover before paint.

Last edited by Turbonut; 06-11-2017 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-11-2017)