Floaty Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021 | 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Floaty Car

I have a 2007 TL (150,000 miles), and know barely anything about cars. I need some help with finding the source of my car's problems.
Known problem: the metal sleeves have broken completely off both front lower control arm bushings, and the driver's side bushing has tears in it. These are being replaced, along with an alignment and balancing.
However, this car has been driving me crazy for years; it just feels "wrong" all the time. I think this has been exacerbated by going to bad mechanics, so now I'm at another new mechanic. This new one showed me the state of the bushings. Yep, the sleeves are definitely gone.
Anyway, I want to know if I these things can be caused by the bushings alone, or if other things can contribute.

The symptoms:
  • Increasingly poor handling. Steering has a lot of play and tracking, and every day feels hellaciously windy.
  • Ride is very noisy and rough at all speeds. Sometimes I can hear faint clanking or snapping.
  • Tires are worn unevenly.
  • Going over big bumps can really throw the car around.
  • It feels like the steering wheel can be turned more than it used to, if that makes sense.
  • Ride is really jerky, especially while coasting and braking. I reset the ECM and checked the fluid (bright pink-red), so I don't think the transmission's causing it.
  • Frequent burning rubber smell while driving.
  • Tires sometimes make screeching noises while turning normally at low speeds.
  • Front end of the car makes pinging, clicking, and hissing noises when turned off. I know that's normal for many old (especially non-Acura) cars, but this car used to be dead silent when I turned it off until about a year ago.
Old 03-20-2021 | 11:20 AM
Advanced

maybe something with the rack and pinion and or power steering? good luck
Old 03-20-2021 | 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Both the front and lower bushings on both sides were replaced, and there is a significant improvement. No more clanking, much more stable, and the steering has much less play in it. Maybe power steering/rack and pinion do have issues, because the steering still feels loose. The ride still is really rough, but that could be from the messed up tires. I now have concerns that an engine mount may be going bad. I've had a couple of the engine mounts replaced in the past, and the car is now behaving kind of like it was then. Jerky ride, very loud shifting between Park, Drive, and Reverse.

Between bicycles and cars, I swear I have some kind of anti-wheeled object curse. Maybe I should invest in a horse; I work on a farm anyway.
Old 03-21-2021 | 12:07 AM
Senior Moderator

My money is on mounts as well, replace them all
The following users liked this post:
TristeTurismo (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 12:49 PM
Intermediate

I have a question about replacing all the mounts: if one goes bad, should all of them be replaced, or is just replacing the one okay? The side and bottom engine mounts (I don't know if they meant the front mount; I'm looking at a diagram and none of the mounts are labeled "bottom") were the ones replaced before, about a year ago. The mechanic at the time did tell me that the bad mounts can pull on and weaken the remaining mounts, but did not say all the mounts should be replaced. I see 3 engine mounts and a damper on this diagram, so that means I've had 2 out of the 3 replaced. Should I replace the 2 anyway, and should the damper be replaced as well? Should I be concerned about the transmission mounts as well?

Since it seems like not replacing all the mounts the first time caused this, I can understand the need to replace all of them so that this doesn't keep happening. Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-22-2021 | 09:28 PM
Intermediate

I have another problem. When going over bumps at around 5mph, I can hear a weird rattling noise, like marbles being shaken in a mason jar. I can only hear it with the window open, so that might be why I've only just noticed it. What part on a car can sound like that? There's also occasional sharp snapping noises coming from what sounds like the front corners of the cabin.
I think the car is going out of alignment somehow. The steering is getting progressively worse again. The ride is also getting louder and rougher, with an cyclical dull roar. Maybe a wheel bearing? Either that mechanic messed up, or he missed some things...
And the brake pedal suddenly dropped while breaking on the highway off ramp. The brakes still work and no brake dash light appeared, but I don't want to push it any further.

It seems to me like the entire front end needs an overhaul. In the meantime, I'm getting a rental. This car is making me nervous.