Flashing/Flickering hid headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing/Flickering hid headlights

Okay so I've tore my car apart tryna figure out what's wrong with my hid lights.. has anyone else had a problem with there hid lights flickering/flashing? The day time lights don't do it only when I have the hid lights on while I'm driving is when it happens but if the cars in park the wont flicker/flash a couple months after I got the car is when it started happening I noticed it wben i accelerated too quick I've replaced one ballast because It had water in it from goin through a puddle of water..
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't know specifically on the TL, but generally flickering HIDs can be either the bulb or the ballast (or a bad wire/connection somewhere). Probably the only way to determine what the problem is would be to swap the bulb or ballast with the other side and see if the flickering follows with the bulb or the ballast.

Pat
Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Cruisin'

I've replaced one ballast already and it's both the hid lights that do it some days it will some days they won't actn up I drive home at night alot due to work and can't afford to get pulled over what is something that's "quick" I can do that might be the problem
Old 07-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Did you use an OEM ballast? Could be a bad ground somewhere
Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

Yes sir OEM is what i used cant cheap out on a pretty expensive car would have gotta honda if i wanted to go cheap ��
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flickering / Flashing usually indicates a loose or incomplete connection; and I would think, especially so, with a moving vehicle.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Do they both flicker at the same time, or flicker independently? There's a single headlight relay that goes to both, and then each headlight has its own fuse, and own ground connection. So, if they flicker at the same time, I'd try swapping the headlight relay (maybe with the high beam relay, if it's the same part)... and if they flicker independently, I'd inspect the fuse/ground connection.

Pat
Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DogP
Do they both flicker at the same time, or flicker independently? There's a single headlight relay that goes to both, and then each headlight has its own fuse, and own ground connection. So, if they flicker at the same time, I'd try swapping the headlight relay (maybe with the high beam relay, if it's the same part)... and if they flicker independently, I'd inspect the fuse/ground connection.

Pat
do you know where the ground wire is located because I don't remember seeing a ground wire connected to the frame I also found two random relays behind the radiator in front of the alternater on the passenger side that I have no idea what they go to and yes the flicker at the same time
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Instructor

I haven't personally seen the wires, but the wiring diagram in the service manual says behind the bumper on the right and left side of the car. I know that's not very descriptive. But, if they both flicker at the same time, I'd check the relay first. The relay runs both headlights, which would be more likely to affect both than having two bad grounds having an intermittent connection at the same time. You're not getting any sort of electrical system errors, right? If the voltage dips too low, HIDs will definitely flicker.

And it is definitely the low beams just turning off, right... not that it thinks you're briefly hitting the high beam switch? Flicking the high beams would cause a noticeable flicker, but could be a completely different problem (bad high beam switch, etc).

Pat
The following users liked this post:
Aaron Dosentcare (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DogP
I haven't personally seen the wires, but the wiring diagram in the service manual says behind the bumper on the right and left side of the car. I know that's not very descriptive. But, if they both flicker at the same time, I'd check the relay first. The relay runs both headlights, which would be more likely to affect both than having two bad grounds having an intermittent connection at the same time. You're not getting any sort of electrical system errors, right? If the voltage dips too low, HIDs will definitely flicker.

And it is definitely the low beams just turning off, right... not that it thinks you're briefly hitting the high beam switch? Flicking the high beams would cause a noticeable flicker, but could be a completely different problem (bad high beam switch, etc).

Pat
they flicker with the high beams on and with them off and would you happen to know witch relay it is?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Instructor

I don't see where it actually says which relay it is... it says "Relay Control Module" in the "Under-hood Fuse/Relay box (left rear of engine compt)". Maybe that's enough of a description to pinpoint it?

Pat
Attached Thumbnails Flashing/Flickering hid headlights-wiring.png