fixing scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fixing scratches

Just after winter i got my car washed and i noticed there were a bunch of small scratches on my 04 Black tl. I have the touch up pen but i feel like it makes it worse. Is there any other way of getting the scratches filled in?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joe5555
Just after winter i got my car washed and i noticed there were a bunch of small scratches on my 04 Black tl. I have the touch up pen but i feel like it makes it worse. Is there any other way of getting the scratches filled in?
if the paint didn't chop off and it is just a minor scratch then you should try Scratch X:
www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX
Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
10th Gear

Well i can see the white underneath.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by joe5555
Well i can see the white underneath.
then your pretty much stuck with using touch up paint....if your really handy, you could try touching up the area, then wet sanding the area down to blend it in....otherwise, just touch up the area or get it redone at a body shop....
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^ Umm I don't think the primer is white underneath... I could be wrong. If you can see white I wouldn't call it a scratch, thats a major cut lol...

You do realize that you can stratch the clearcoat and it will make it "white", right? If it's that bad, then stratchX won't work. Actually I have found that ScratchX doesn't fix anything except minor swirling....

Either take your car to a detailer to be 'cut', or do some minor cutting yourself. Wet sand the area, cut, buff, polish. I'm sure you can find some DIYs on the subject.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

^ Umm I don't think the primer is white underneath... I could be wrong. If you can see white I wouldn't call it a scratch, thats a major cut lol...

You do realize that you can stratch the clearcoat and it will make it "white", right? If it's that bad, then stratchX won't work. Actually I have found that ScratchX doesn't fix anything except minor swirling....

Either take your car to a detailer to be 'cut', or do some minor cutting yourself. Wet sand the area, cut, buff, polish. I'm sure you can find some DIYs on the subject.

I agree! it useless! better just wax the car and be done with it!
As for me I have a 2005 Acura TL nighthawk black COLOR!!! It's the worst color ever. After Winter here in Chicago I've noticed so many scratches all over my car! I tried to use some good fillers and scratch removers but its all useless. My scratches are also white but it seems to me that the cut (scratch) isnt so deep at all! i can feel it with my fingernail but i dont think it went so deep in.
---- I know u can use touch up paint on those scratches and then just wipe the unwanted paint right away. I'm not sure how to do this all, but if someone could help me please then that would be great!!!!
---- One more thing! On my trunk I found some scratches (white)! It seems to me that some a---hole did it on purpose since they appear in patterns!!!! I will post pictures of them soon
THx
Old 07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

Scrathces on my trunk!!!

Here is the picture of my trunk! As u see there are couple __very__ noticeable scratches! They are white and u can feel them! Any help of how to get rid of them?
And by the way DO NOT BUY QUIXX SCRATCH REMOVER!!!! This s***t doesnt work at all! cost 20+$ and is completely useless for these white scratches! Now plz help with scratches on my trunk!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:59 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like the scratches need to be filled in, wet sanded, and polished. A good detailer in your area should be able to fix this .
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Looks like the scratches need to be filled in, wet sanded, and polished. A good detailer in your area should be able to fix this .
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Sry for asking... any particular detailer, filler, and polish you would recommend me to use? I ask you this since you also have a nighthawk black car (looking at the pic)!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertigohtm
Sry for asking... any particular detailer, filler, and polish you would recommend me to use? I ask you this since you also have a nighthawk black car (looking at the pic)!
Take a touchup pen and fill up the area until it is filled over (like a blob). Take time with filling them in, it may take up to 3 weeks, do thin coats. Then take some 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper, soak it in water for 20 minutes. After that, sand in the direction opposite from the scratch, if its vertical, sand horizontal. Be light and only go in one direction, not back and forth. Stop after a few swipes, wipe with a damp towel and see your progress, don't try to push your luck to far or you might go through the clear coat. When it looks good enough, follow up with some polish, I would use a coupound like optimum compound or four star body shop light cut. There are numerous ones you can buy at local stores too. There is a great DIY with pictures in the wash and wax pictures.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
Take a touchup pen and fill up the area until it is filled over (like a blob). Take time with filling them in, it may take up to 3 weeks, do thin coats. Then take some 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper, soak it in water for 20 minutes. After that, sand in the direction opposite from the scratch, if its vertical, sand horizontal. Be light and only go in one direction, not back and forth. Stop after a few swipes, wipe with a damp towel and see your progress, don't try to push your luck to far or you might go through the clear coat. When it looks good enough, follow up with some polish, I would use a coupound like optimum compound or four star body shop light cut. There are numerous ones you can buy at local stores too. There is a great DIY with pictures in the wash and wax pictures.
thx for advise! hope it will work!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another tip them I've come to learn the hard way... If you get you car washed through an automatic. Get a touch free! Those spinning brushes, or whatever u wanna call them cause a lot of little nicks and scratches! Especially noticable with darker colors!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another tip that I've come to learn the hard way... If you get you car washed through an automatic. Get a touch free! Those spinning brushes, or whatever u wanna call them cause a lot of little nicks and scratches! Especially noticable with darker colors!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

I had some punks key a small scratch on the side of my car. I have an 05 TL in NBP and scratches are an eye sore especially when you see it every time you get into your car.

What I did was clean the area around the scratch and put some blue painters tape around the scratch. I filled in the scratch with touch up paint and laid the paint a little thick. The paint should look like a vein bulging out. Let it Dry.

Once dried, I use Wet Sand Paper. Use like 600 at first to even out the thicken paint and use 900 to finish things out. I wet sanded the area around the scratch as well. Kind of scary at first since the finish looks hazy and dull. Feel the area and it should be smooth where the scratch is.

Use a good polisher like Meguirs Scratch X with a microfiber cloth. Rub Rub Rub until mirror shine.

The scratch may have a faint line but won't be noticeable from a few feet away.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
ScratchX FTW
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
ScratchX FTW
Scratch X is good for those small scratched, but won't do anything for the larger ones. Also it has a bunch of fillers in it to, a much better alternative is Four Star Body Shop Light Cut Compound
Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AsianMan
I had some punks key a small scratch on the side of my car. I have an 05 TL in NBP and scratches are an eye sore especially when you see it every time you get into your car.

What I did was clean the area around the scratch and put some blue painters tape around the scratch. I filled in the scratch with touch up paint and laid the paint a little thick. The paint should look like a vein bulging out. Let it Dry.

Once dried, I use Wet Sand Paper. Use like 600 at first to even out the thicken paint and use 900 to finish things out. I wet sanded the area around the scratch as well. Kind of scary at first since the finish looks hazy and dull. Feel the area and it should be smooth where the scratch is.

Use a good polisher like Meguirs Scratch X with a microfiber cloth. Rub Rub Rub until mirror shine.

The scratch may have a faint line but won't be noticeable from a few feet away.
Thats very interesting and lots of people tell me to use touch up paint! BUT! is there any other alternative ways of fixing the scratch by using some really good fillers like Quixx? (i need something better than Quixx) and safe as well.... thx for your comments!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

also, ScratchX is good only for swirlmarks and very light scratches! IT DOES NOT remove deeper scratches exposed to upper primer (also very light, white in color)!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Quixx is not a filler, its a pretty agressive polish. At least the step 1 polish is pretty agressive. I used Quixx on some minor scratches and it works awesome. It does take a little time and elbow grease but it erases scratches pretty well. I did have a deep scratch and used quixx on it. I probably could work it a little more but all it did was knock off the sharp corners of the scratch. You cant really see the scratch if you dont really look for it. Now it just looks like just a indentation in the paint where the scratch used to be. I'll be running some clear coat in that area and then wet sanding so its back to 100%