Erratic clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erratic clutch pedal

"I stands all I could stands and I cannot stands anymore." The 3G TL's clutch assembly does not need another jab but I do have a problem and I need a fix, hence the existence of this sub forum. I don't want to resurrect the complaints of the 3g TL's clutch which "is what it is" e.g. little low end torque, lack of tactility et cetera but I have maintained my distance from approaching this community with this inexorable gremlin. I have a 2005 with about 50,000 + miles on it but this problem has existed for a while. What I am describing may be many problems or the symptoms of one. There is continuous, chirping (like a cricket, not a constant whine) coming from somewhere in the clutch assembly that disappears once I put a small amount of pressure (read: not enough to engage) on the clutch pedal; nothing significant but not good for one's ego. Then there is the feedback of the clutch pedal. Sometimes, there is no slack/free play before the beginning of engagement of the clutch and sometimes there is a small, more normal feeling amount. Sometimes there will be a click (similar to the symptom of the "clutch click/ pulse" thread at the top of the movement and about half an inch returning from full engagement/depression. Lately, I hear a creaking that can be heard inside the car emanating from depressing the pedal itself and sometimes this similar creaking, rusty hinge sound can only be heard from outside the car. I do not wish to be viewed as the person with the 400 pound tumor-"why have you not done anything earlier?!"-but I have tried. Firstly, I have complained to the one and only Acura service manager about the beginning two (all are chronologically listed)symptoms to a "well, it does not seem serious now, let me know later". For the record, I like the guy and I think he would take care of it if he believed it to be serious. Secondly, these symptoms (the chirping and pulse are more pervasive) come and go and my dealership does not have the luxury of loaner cars, making the fairly long and out of the way to the dealership bearable. These tidal problems always seem to go and are not always "shudder" reproducible at whim. Sorry for the length but I wanted to be preemptive in providing information. I am on here often but not very long so it may be a few days before I respond. As always, thanks guys. There is no better way to distract myself from the evils of my cases than a little azine and "ahem" myspace.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by dejavecu
"I stands all I could stands and I cannot stands anymore."

The 3G TL's clutch assembly does not need another jab but I do have a problem and I need a fix, hence the existence of this sub forum. I don't want to resurrect the complaints of the 3g TL's clutch which "is what it is" e.g. little low end torque, lack of tactility et cetera but I have maintained my distance from approaching this community with this inexorable gremlin.

I have a 2005 with about 50,000 + miles on it but this problem has existed for a while. What I am describing may be many problems or the symptoms of one. There is continuous, chirping (like a cricket, not a constant whine) coming from somewhere in the clutch assembly that disappears once I put a small amount of pressure (read: not enough to engage) on the clutch pedal; nothing significant but not good for one's ego.

Then there is the feedback of the clutch pedal. Sometimes, there is no slack/free play before the beginning of engagement of the clutch and sometimes there is a small, more normal feeling amount. Sometimes there will be a click (similar to the symptom of the "clutch click/ pulse" thread at the top of the movement and about half an inch returning from full engagement/depression. Lately, I hear a creaking that can be heard inside the car emanating from depressing the pedal itself and sometimes this similar creaking, rusty hinge sound can only be heard from outside the car.

I do not wish to be viewed as the person with the 400 pound tumor-"why have you not done anything earlier?!"-but I have tried.

Firstly, I have complained to the one and only Acura service manager about the beginning two (all are chronologically listed)symptoms to a "well, it does not seem serious now, let me know later". For the record, I like the guy and I think he would take care of it if he believed it to be serious.

Secondly, these symptoms (the chirping and pulse are more pervasive) come and go and my dealership does not have the luxury of loaner cars, making the fairly long and out of the way to the dealership bearable. These tidal problems always seem to go and are not always "shudder" reproducible at whim.

Sorry for the length but I wanted to be preemptive in providing information. I am on here often but not very long so it may be a few days before I respond.

As always, thanks guys. There is no better way to distract myself from the evils of my cases than a little azine and "ahem" myspace.
Sorry, I just couldn't read it as you typed it so I reformatted it above.

The chirping could be either the pilot or release bearings I guess. Release bearings usually get louder as you engage/push the clutch pedal so perhaps it's the pilot. Odd either way at 50K unless you keep the clutch pedal depressed at stops instead of keeping it in neutral with the clutch out....do you?

As for the varying pedal I don't know. But one things for sure. You've got to demonstrate it to the dealer cause it just isn't right ! My 05 MT exhibits none of what you describe.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

When you say free play, do you mean when you first start to depress the pedal or from the floor when you first start to release the pedal?
The chirping is likely the throwout bearing, since it goes away when you depress the pedal slightly.
The throwout bearing might also be involved in varying free play when you first start to depress the pedal.
In short, it's possible for all the symptoms to be caused by a throwout bearing on it's way out.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Sorry, I just couldn't read it as you typed it so I reformatted it above.

The chirping could be either the pilot or release bearings I guess. Release bearings usually get louder as you engage/push the clutch pedal so perhaps it's the pilot. Odd either way at 50K unless you keep the clutch pedal depressed at stops instead of keeping it in neutral with the clutch out....do you?

As for the varying pedal I don't know. But one things for sure. You've got to demonstrate it to the dealer cause it just isn't right ! My 05 MT exhibits none of what you describe.
You are right about the formatting. It is horrendous so my apologies for anyone's strained eyes.

No, I have, as have many, read the write up by Southern Boy as keeping the clutch depressed was a unintentionally, bad habit I had with my other vehicle. However, I did buy the car certified at 25,000 so it might be the "sins of the father". Is the release bearing considered a wear item?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spMike
When you say free play, do you mean when you first start to depress the pedal or from the floor when you first start to release the pedal?
The chirping is likely the throwout bearing, since it goes away when you depress the pedal slightly.
The throwout bearing might also be involved in varying free play when you first start to depress the pedal.
In short, it's possible for all the symptoms to be caused by a throwout bearing on it's way out.
No, by "free play" I mean a small amount of slack in the beginning of the action of the pedal instead of a constant amount of resistance through the entirety of the action. Does that make sense?

Honestly, I sort of wondered if this might be a candidate for your pressure plate theory; the disparity between slack and no slack being the pressure plate under and over adjusting, respectively. I have no iota as to why there would be any variability in this.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I would think if the pressure plate wasn't working properly it would either over adjust or not adjust. The mechanism is a spring loaded ramp. Once it takes up the extra travel, it can't unadjust it.
It really sounds like a throwout bearing problem to me.
While the bearing doesn't wear like brakes or clutch lining, it still might (or might not) be considered a wearout item.
Make an appt and see what they say.
Consider replacing the clutch assembly if you replace the bearing.
You could always call around to some independent shops to see how much it would cost. The dealer is going to want to charge you for the clutch even if the bearing is under warranty, but you shouldn't have to pay all of the clutch labor if the bearing is under warranty.
Good Luck!!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6spMike
I would think if the pressure plate wasn't working properly it would either over adjust or not adjust. The mechanism is a spring loaded ramp. Once it takes up the extra travel, it can't unadjust it.
It really sounds like a throwout bearing problem to me.
While the bearing doesn't wear like brakes or clutch lining, it still might (or might not) be considered a wearout item.
Make an appt and see what they say.
Consider replacing the clutch assembly if you replace the bearing.
You could always call around to some independent shops to see how much it would cost. The dealer is going to want to charge you for the clutch even if the bearing is under warranty, but you shouldn't have to pay all of the clutch labor if the bearing is under warranty.
Good Luck!!
Thanks. I will put on my "unbearable customer" hat and try to get something abou this at he dealership.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Instructor

For those of you who are still tuned to this B rated drama, I got the dreaded call today from the dealership. No, he did not say my "car is fixed and it is ready for you to pick up". He did not say "there is nothing wrong with your car".
He said they believe it to be either the throw out bearing is interfering with the action of the pressure plate or the pressure plate alone is faulty and that will be $1800. Shocked, I said I would call him back. I waited ten minutes and called back and gave the spiel about how I baby the car and I do not ever hold in that pedal more than is necessary for operation of the car which is all infuriatingly true. He said he is willing to work with me and he will talk to the service rep.
Now we play the waiting game. He said neither the extended warranty or the warranty on the clutch assembly which I had them replace a couple thousand miles after buying it certified would cover it. However, I had taken it in several times during the 12,000 mile warranty on the replaced parts with complaints about these symptoms. I was turned away at these times and they basically said bring it back when you could demonstrate it.