Engine and transmission Mount inspection and replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a new to me 2007 TL-S. I have been doing a lot of preventive maintenance on it. The car is pretty clean with 49500 miles on it.
Just wondering if there’s a way to tell if any of the mounts need replacing doing a visual inspection? Any kind of test to tell if they need replacing etc. I would rather just do it now vs having a slow problem develop later.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
if you're automatic and your car vibrates with A/C OFF in gear (R or D), then your mounts are probably bad.

with all new mounts, i can't even tell if my car is on or off in neutral. (zero vibration)

all 3 engine mounts (front, passenger side, rear) are covered with a rubber hat. and as far as i remember while changing them out, there's no way to flip the hat without actually unbolting the mount-engine bolt (which means you'll have to lift the engine with a floor jack)

BUT you can check the upper transmission mount, by simply removing the air intake filter box. there's 4 rubber arms in the mount.
(main cause of vibration in gear, i left 2 of my arms cracked for a year, then my passenger side engine mount was shot, then rear mount was decapitated lol front was actually okay)
according to 20years of acura mechanic, the front mounts are okay but rear and sides go first. especially rear because engine tilts forward during acceleration.

there is lower transmission mount but those look like it can never go bad lol

would a video of fresh engine mounts startup video help? (you could see how much the engine wiggles)
The following users liked this post:
Nmm555 (06-22-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey John, I just had 4 mounts replaced these past two months.

Front engine mount and timing belt side engine mount are hydraulic types and tend to go bad quicker - mine were replaced for the first time at 125,000 miles. Not really inspected - the timing belt side's detoriation was seen when doing timing belt service. The front I replaced, cause clicking while driving persisted. Though i changed it, clicking remains.

Did the two transmission bottom mounts today. If under the car one of them could be seen. These are not hydraulic types and consist of "thick rubber" basically. One of mine had a crack going all the way around, and when removed, they just detached into two pieces. I have a feeling I could have just kept it there, but I fixed it. Unfortunately for my car, clicking remains. Oh well, no big deal.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the very good information. I love car forums for good useful information.
My car only has 49K miles on it. I have looked at the engine running in P and D. It’s very solid. No vibrations at all. So I am good for now.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM
2008 TL Type-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat, I had no vibrations at all but without even removing
airbox I could tell my upper tranny mount was busted, replaced that now I get a heavy vibration in gear with the brakes on... hoping its just another mount.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboGSR96
I am kind of in the same boat, I had no vibrations at all but without even removing
airbox I could tell my upper tranny mount was busted, replaced that now I get a heavy vibration in gear with the brakes on... hoping its just another mount.
I actually had the same symptom.

replaced upper tranny mount because it looked the easiest ( turns out it wasn't LOL)
then vibration was still there. then wondered if i wasted money on a new mount...

and since i'm wasting money anyways decided to replace all.
found out side and rear are totally shot like you can't even tell it's a mount anymore.

but wait. you had a broken upper tranny mount and had no vibration while in gear?? that's ,,, cool...
The following users liked this post:
TurboGSR96 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 AM
2008 TL Type-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
I actually had the same symptom.

replaced upper tranny mount because it looked the easiest ( turns out it wasn't LOL)
then vibration was still there. then wondered if i wasted money on a new mount...

and since i'm wasting money anyways decided to replace all.
found out side and rear are totally shot like you can't even tell it's a mount anymore.

but wait. you had a broken upper tranny mount and had no vibration while in gear?? that's ,,, cool...
You are correct, only symptoms I had were the clunk when shifting out of park... the car never vibrated... now with the fresh new mount it feels like my integra with solid mounts lol