Engine Stutter at 1500RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Engine Stutter at 1500RPM

I've been noticing the past few days that my engine stutters around 1500RPM, in 5th gear. Happens at about 47-48mph, the point just after the transmission shifts to 5th and it continues until I get past 1500RPM. The RPMs jump from 1500 down to 1300 or so and then back to 1500. It's nuts watching the tachometer when it does it. I can certainly hear it also...

I searched around and really can't find much info on this issue. What gives?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
I've been noticing the past few days that my engine stutters around 1500RPM, in 5th gear. Happens at about 47-48mph, the point just after the transmission shifts to 5th and it continues until I get past 1500RPM. The RPMs jump from 1500 down to 1300 or so and then back to 1500. It's nuts watching the tachometer when it does it. I can certainly hear it also...

I searched around and really can't find much info on this issue. What gives?
Sounds like the torque converter clutch (TCC).

What fluid are you using and when was the last time you had it changed?

It can be a misfire, slight misfire issues many times will show themselves easier at low rpms while the TCC is locked. It's just easier for the driver to feel.

Last edited by I hate cars; 02-27-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
either a misfire, since the engine is direct coupled to the wheels with the TCC engaged
BUT considering that the rpm is fluctuating 200 rpms, just by looking at the tach itself, i would say tranny service time, and hopefully prevent it from getting any worse then it is
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Sounds like the torque converter clutch (TCC).

What fluid are you using and when was the last time you had it changed?

It can be a misfire, slight misfire issues many times will show themselves easier at low rpms while the TCC is locked. It's just easier for the driver to feel.
Torque converter fluid? I haven't a clue in all honesty. It hasn't been changed in the time I've owned the car...that could be something to look into.

Shouldn't misfires throw a CEL though? Granted I just started noticing it..

Originally Posted by friesm2000
either a misfire, since the engine is direct coupled to the wheels with the TCC engaged
BUT considering that the rpm is fluctuating 200 rpms, just by looking at the tach itself, i would say tranny service time, and hopefully prevent it from getting any worse then it is
That makes me itch. I need to change the pressure switches asap for my own peace of mind.

I really wonder if it could be a more simple issue such as bad fuel. It started happening the other day a couple hours after I filled up.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

If you haven't changed the trans fluid in 6 years, I would start there. That's probably the issue. Type F fluid would be a great start.

When you get the studder, does the car vibrate or shake at all?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm Craig

If you haven't changed the trans fluid in 6 years, I would start there. That's probably the issue. Type F fluid would be a great start.

When you get the studder, does the car vibrate or shake at all?
Oh the trans fluid? Changed just last month. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Changed three times at 25/64/97K miles.

And yep as soon as it hits 5th gear, it vibrates. Not terribly, but it can be felt through the steering wheel. However, it had done that before. I assumed it was the infamous driveline vibration.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
B A N N E D

Torque converter fluid? I haven't a clue in all honesty. It hasn't been changed in the time I've owned the car...that could be something to look into.

Shouldn't misfires throw a CEL though? Granted I just started noticing it..

That makes me itch. I need to change the pressure switches asap for my own peace of mind.

I really wonder if it could be a more simple issue such as bad fuel. It started happening the other day a couple hours after I filled up
normally but not always though, you can feel it better at times then the ecu is actually able to see

as far as bad fuel, possible, but still considering the fact that the trans fluid has not been change in the time you have had the car (or probably cannot recall if the previous owner ever did) i would still change the fluid out

btw the TCC shares the same fluid as the transmission itself
Old 02-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

Oh the trans fluid? Changed just last month. I apologize for the misunderstanding. Changed three times at 25/64/97K miles.

And yep as soon as it hits 5th gear, it vibrates. Not terribly, but it can be felt through the steering wheel. However, it had done that before. I assumed it was the infamous driveline vibration.
That's really a tough call. If you could get a scanner on it and monitor for misfires or watch the AF ratio and see if it goes ultra rich when it shudders, that would tell you if it's a misfire or not.

The TCC could just have a lot of wear and you might need more holding power than what Z1 can give you which is where the Type F fluid would help.

I believe the 4th gear pressure switch can affect TCC operation but I can't remember for sure. If there's some sort of linear solenoid that controls application I would look there also.

It can also be the 5th gear clutch packs. A simple test would be to manually shift to 4th and wait for the TCC to lock. If the rpms come down while applying light throttle and there's no shudder, it's more likely the 5th gear clutches.

There's a small chance it can be your your TPS or whatever they call it on the TL causing erratic voltage and a locking and unlocking of the TCC. Very unlikely but something to check if all else fails.

I know it would suck to change your trans fluid again since you just changed it but a test would be to go to a local auto parts store and buy the cheapest type F fluid you can find and swap it out. If it gets better, do a 3x3 with whatever type F fluid you choose. If it stays the same I would look more closely at misfires.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
B A N N E D

That's really a tough call. If you could get a scanner on it and monitor for misfires or watch the AF ratio and see if it goes ultra rich when it shudders, that would tell you if it's a misfire or not.

The TCC could just have a lot of wear and you might need more holding power than what Z1 can give you which is where the Type F fluid would help.

I believe the 4th gear pressure switch can affect TCC operation but I can't remember for sure. If there's some sort of linear solenoid that controls application I would look there also.

It can also be the 5th gear clutch packs. A simple test would be to manually shift to 4th and wait for the TCC to lock. If the rpms come down while applying light throttle and there's no shudder, it's more likely the 5th gear clutches.

There's a small chance it can be your your TPS or whatever they call it on the TL causing erratic voltage and a locking and unlocking of the TCC. Very unlikely but something to check if all else fails.

I know it would suck to change your trans fluid again since you just changed it but a test would be to go to a local auto parts store and buy the cheapest type F fluid you can find and swap it out. If it gets better, do a 3x3 with whatever type F fluid you choose. If it stays the same I would look more closely at misfires.
when i pulled apart my tranny (yes it is an 03, but still basically the same though) after swapping to the 6-speed, my fifth gear clutch pack was destroyed; ie: the friction discs were worn down to the backing plates at some points (all the other packs looked fine/relitively new; did not measure them or anything though, just a visual)
SO IT IS NOT UNHEARD OF (but yeah my first gear was also seized up , but that was more me though )

also that transmission had puked itself self twice , once on the previous owner, and once on me; and both times where on roadtrips/long distance drives (sitting in 5th gear on the highway just cruising)

basically if it is the same situation for you, i would carry some spare fluid in the trunk, with the proper tools to get it into the transmission (i refilled it, since i did have some in atf the trunk, and was able to get home like 100 miles away, and drive it another month or two till i got the parts for the 6-speed swap necessary (just no trips though)
but i will say one thing though, is that it never sealed right after that time i refilled it (i could hear the fluid litially boiling when i first started pouring it in), it seeped through the case or something, so it was still going to need a new trans at some point, but it got me home though
Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm Craig

I really appreciate your guys' help. This site seriously is a godsend and wealth of knowledge.

So...worst case scenario and it is the 5th gear clutch packs...what would be involved with the repair? I'm going to try to get the pressure switches changed and then I'll if it does anything to help.

And friesm2000, that's interesting to hear. I do long-distance trips fairly often, I'll keep that in mind. Dammit I wish my car was a 6MT.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
B A N N E D

I really appreciate your guys' help. This site seriously is a godsend and wealth of knowledge.

So...worst case scenario and it is the 5th gear clutch packs...what would be involved with the repair? I'm going to try to get the pressure switches changed and then I'll if it does anything to help.

And friesm2000, that's interesting to hear. I do long-distance trips fairly often, I'll keep that in mind. Dammit I wish my car was a 6MT.
putting a rebuilt (or getting it rebuilt) tranny in is the worst case scenario as far as repairing it

about the 6MT why do you think i went to one

also i know there are a couple of other people that have posted on this board (2g TL's though) before that have also had there transmissions completely puke on them also (even one with an external cooler installed too)

when it did puke on me, do get me wrong i was doing like 90, and gaining elevation coming back to colorado, so slightly uphill, which did put more strain on that clutch pack; but it still should not have puked itself though, and should have been able to handle it

but as far as symptoms of it happening, shifts started to get a little soft, but really about the only thing i really noticed, is that it almost seemed like the TCC was not fully engageing, but even then i did not think much of it ; then when the tranny went to downshift to 4th to go up a hill; a huge cloud of tranny fluid came out the back (and coated the driver side underside, along with the back of the car in fluid), and i had no more forward gears, so i had to pull over to the side of the road; as said thank god i had tranny fluid in the trunk, but no funnel though , but a water bottle and a knife (TG for the other vehicle we where traveling with though) at least let me fill it through the dipstick tube though, a bit slow and messy, but enough to get me to the next exit though, to get more fluid and such though; then i topped it off a little bit more to get all the way home

btw the perfect spot for the fluid on the 2g, is on the inside of the spare tire, lets you fit 3 bottles in there (but i think you have the jack there though; but you should still be able to fit a couple of bottles on the side of the spare though, especially if you shift it around a little)
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

That is really interesting to hear about 5th. I know it can happen but it's so rare. I would guess there are fewer shifts into 5th than the lower gears and usually you're not in the throttle very deep when it does shift. So it sounds like it was possibly slipping just from a steady state cruise down the freeway???

cjTL, swapping the fluid will tell if it's the trans or not. I'm not saying it will fix it but if it's the trans you should notice some difference. Just try to keep it out of 5th between now and then. Even one second of slippage in an auto (except for the TCC) is excessive wear.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by friesm2000
putting a rebuilt (or getting it rebuilt) tranny in is the worst case scenario as far as repairing it

about the 6MT why do you think i went to one

also i know there are a couple of other people that have posted on this board (2g TL's though) before that have also had there transmissions completely puke on them also (even one with an external cooler installed too)

when it did puke on me, do get me wrong i was doing like 90, and gaining elevation coming back to colorado, so slightly uphill, which did put more strain on that clutch pack; but it still should not have puked itself though, and should have been able to handle it

but as far as symptoms of it happening, shifts started to get a little soft, but really about the only thing i really noticed, is that it almost seemed like the TCC was not fully engageing, but even then i did not think much of it ; then when the tranny went to downshift to 4th to go up a hill; a huge cloud of tranny fluid came out the back (and coated the driver side underside, along with the back of the car in fluid), and i had no more forward gears, so i had to pull over to the side of the road; as said thank god i had tranny fluid in the trunk, but no funnel though , but a water bottle and a knife (TG for the other vehicle we where traveling with though) at least let me fill it through the dipstick tube though, a bit slow and messy, but enough to get me to the next exit though, to get more fluid and such though; then i topped it off a little bit more to get all the way home

btw the perfect spot for the fluid on the 2g, is on the inside of the spare tire, lets you fit 3 bottles in there (but i think you have the jack there though; but you should still be able to fit a couple of bottles on the side of the spare though, especially if you shift it around a little)

Most people won't believe this but I've filled my trans with tap water to get me home before. It was already junk at that point but it shifted great on water. I literally stuck the hose in the dipstick and filled it. Obviously it's not something to do if you have plans to keep it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
B A N N E D

That is really interesting to hear about 5th. I know it can happen but it's so rare. I would guess there are fewer shifts into 5th than the lower gears and usually you're not in the throttle very deep when it does shift. So it sounds like it was possibly slipping just from a steady state cruise down the freeway???

cjTL, swapping the fluid will tell if it's the trans or not. I'm not saying it will fix it but if it's the trans you should notice some difference. Just try to keep it out of 5th between now and then. Even one second of slippage in an auto (except for the TCC) is excessive wear.
only other thing i can think of, is that obviously the car was WELL warmed up, so the heat was literally through out the whole transmission, so maybe that has to do with it some

but i think it had already been worn down some though, just from normal wear and tear though, so it was already slipping, then with a constant cruise it just overheated the fluid which boiled or something

and as far as being able to milk the tranny out of more life, i got like 27k miles out of when it first puked itself with the previous owner, but then again i did LIKE my SS, so i was never in 5th gear too much
and i probably could have gotten more too (as said two months while i collected parts for the swap, without any real issues , and i still used it as a daily driver), but road trips where out of the question though, and needed an actually good transmission in the car (and wanted to be able to spray my nitrous, without having to worry about a transmission)
BUT i did change the filter and fluid once i got home though, so that probably helped too

Most people won't believe this but I've filled my trans with tap water to get me home before. It was already junk at that point but it shifted great on water. I literally stuck the hose in the dipstick and filled it. Obviously it's not something to do if you have plans to keep it.
just needed an uncompressable fluid to be able to engage the clutch packs

but yeah the trans is kinda f@cked after doing it though, but as said it got you home though
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the car is stuttering pop it in neutral, if it still happens while in neutral it may not be the tranny (this is how Acura diagnosed mine as not being the tranny). It may be other things such as suspension, rods, tires ect. Search "shudder" on this site. I know how this problem can aggrevate someone. I've been dealing with it since I got my car 6 months ago. I switched out my tires and the shudder is almost non existent. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is TSB exactly for this issue, search forum, I saw it yesterday.
Acura says nothing wrong with engine and tranny, and recommends to install harmonic balancer as a fix...