Engine revs high but lags to actually accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Engine revs high but lags to actually accelerate

Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if it’s a bit broad and confusing. Also, I have been uising this forum for other questions I’ve had and I want to thank you all for providing your answers and examples.

Okay, so I have a 2004 Acura TL 6MT, and when I’m in shift to secon (& 3rd), if I try and punch the gas the revs will rev high(4000+) but the car won’t actually accelerate with those revs for about a second or two. I thought it was the oil, so I just did a oil change (mobil 1- 5w-30) and I still have the same problem. I’ve never had this issue and have had this car for a year. I’ve looked up this problem here in acurazine and can’t seem to quite find out the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

I honestly don’t know, I purchased the vehicle with 120,xxx it has 140,xxx. Well that’s what I’ve been reading, along with a transmission slip, and a bad throttle position sensor. I purchased car off craigslist, so I’m almost certain it’s the original clutch. Would there be any other symptoms I could look for that would tell that it is a bad clutch? I had a 5spd Jeep Wrangler prior to my TL, and drive it pretty wildly, for about 4 years and never had any issues with the clutch. I think I’m pretty good with the clutch so I hope that’s not the issue :/
Old 10-28-2017, 02:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 195 Likes on 177 Posts
Put the car in a higher gear earliar than you normally would and WOT that ish
Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
If your engine revs while the car doesn't accelerate (and speedo doesn't move), the clutch is slipping. That is all there is to it.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I concur, the clutch is slipping; no mystery at all.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Another thought is the check valve on the slave cylinder - but the OP has been driving it for roughly 20K miles. So I would agree with others in that it sounds like a slipping clutch.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:25 AM
3rd Gear

Thank all of you guys, i truly appreciate you guys and your responses. So, it was my clutch :/ it finally completely gave up on me last week while driving to work ;/. I’m going to be replacing the clutch as soon as i can. Any opinions or advice on type of clutch to be looking for? It could be said that I’m frequentky driving my car faster than most. Although, i do not race (like car group sort of thing) and do not plan on going that direction. I do, however, like to Test my cars limits and am wanting to purchase a clutch that can handle that and maybe help with that. Car is paid in full and I see myself owning this car for the next 10 years easily, so I’m wanting to maintain and upgrade my TL to perform well and last long. Sorry if I’m all over the place with this post, I’m just getting used to this. Should I️ create a new thread with this question about type of clutch to purchase??? Thank you guys once again. Much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
unless you are pushing power; the OEM clutch is perfect for every day use.
p.s. the TL's clutch is one of the hardest clutches to learn on a car. ppl tend to burn through clutches because the way it's set up. Go OEM.
the OEM clutch is made by LUK. you can find the clutch set on ebay for $200 or less.
if you need a flywheel; go OEM as well. I would source it on ebay.

Good Luck

and just FYI; I found and answered some questions; meaning other people can see your questions too. meaning; you dont really have to make a new thread; because your questions are being seen.