Electrical problem- trip computer, clock, radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Electrical problem- trip computer, clock, radio

If you don't feel like reading, cliffs are at the bottom

So here's the story:
Last Friday afternoon I get in my car and start it. Then I notice that my trip computer and trip A and B were all at 0. Then I notice my music hasn't started playing and sure enough, the word "code" is on the screen. So I remembered reading that the radio code was inside the glovebox and went ahead and entered the code. It didn't work and i finally remembered that the last owner had the radio replaced under warranty. So I headed over to my local dealership to see if they could figure it out. On my way over I noticed the clock had reset itself also. These are all things that should happen if I had disconnected the battery but I didn't disconnect the battery and the battery hadn't run down enough for this to happen considering the car started up normally. The guy at the dealer figured out the radio code and when I asked him why it could have happened he said "it just happens sometimes." so I figured it was probably just a one time thing and forgot about it. Everything seemed to be working fine.

Then fast forward to Tuesday and I'm getting out of my car. I hit the lock button twice on my key and notice that it didn't beep and I didn't hear my doors lock. I go to open and close my door to make sure everything is closed up and this time I hear the beep. Didn't think much of it. About two hours later I get in my car, start it up and my trip computer data is cleared but everything else seems to be fine. I go and run my errands and come back and park it again and this time it sits for about 5-6 hours. I go out to my car and get in and start my car up. The trip computer still had the miles on it that I put on when I ran my errands however now the clock had reset itself. The radio hasnt asked for the code yet.

I really don't understand how this has been happening. I haven't been tampering with the battery or anything electrical at all recently. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know.

Cliffs:
1. Friday the car asked for the radio code, cleared trip data, and reset the clock-all symptoms of a dead/disconnected battery.
2. Car started fine, I didn't touch the battery.
3 Tuesday car acts funny when trying to lock it.
4. Later I get in the car and the trip data is cleared but that is all.
5. Several hours later I get in the car again and this time the clock has reset.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Just because it starts doesn't mean the battery isn't failing.

Is there corrosion on the terminals? or loose connections?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Instructor

No corrosion or loose terminals. Last time i had the oil changed (about 1.5 months ago) it passed the battery test with flying colors. And if it was some sort of battery issue, I would still be confused as to why only the trip computer and clock were reset yesterday and at different times.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsrtne1
No corrosion or loose terminals. Last time i had the oil changed (about 1.5 months ago) it passed the battery test with flying colors. And if it was some sort of battery issue, I would still be confused as to why only the trip computer and clock were reset yesterday and at different times.

I had similar problems and the battery tested fine. After I replaced the battery all of the problems went away.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jaster
I had similar problems and the battery tested fine. After I replaced the battery all of the problems went away.

I'll have to look into replacing my battery. Thanks. Anyone else have some insight on this?