EBC slotted rotors grinding against caliper when hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
EBC slotted rotors grinding against caliper when hot

I replaced my front rotors with slotted EBC rotors, installed Hawk HPS pads, and replaced the driver's side caliper since it was beginning to leak.

Lately I've noticed when the brakes get hot (after a lot of stop and go or high speed stops) there is grinding in the driver's side front wheelwell.

I took off everything and did an inspection to discover that the edge of the rotor is scraping against the inside of the replacement caliper. My guess is that the rotor slightly expands when it gets hot which then makes the clearance too tight between it and the caliper which makes it grind on it. The pads were wearing perfectly and the rotors appear fine other than the scratches on the inside of the caliper.

When I had it off I filed down the inside of the caliper (since I could see the places where it was rubbing) but it did still grind once more yesterday after some hard stops.

I'm guessing it's fine to file/grind down the inside of the caliper since the reason this is happening is due to a caliper mold that left excess metal on the inside of the caliper. If it was an issue with the EBC rotors being slightly too large in diameter I would assume this would happen on both sides of the car, not just on the side where I replaced the rotor.

I'm puting this out there to see if this is a common problem with the EBC rotors, off-brand replacement (from Advanced Auto Parts) calipers, or if it's just a strange thing that never happens?

Scratches in caliper:

Edge of rotor:
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the same EBC rotors on my dad's SC400 and there are fine. Its definitely the caliper AA sold you. I have a bad experience with buying parts from chain stores. I was sold a short axle from Pep Boys and it popped out. Luckily the car was stationary when it popped.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by riomp300
I installed the same EBC rotors on my dad's SC400 and there are fine. Its definitely the caliper AA sold you. I have a bad experience with buying parts from chain stores. I was sold a short axle from Pep Boys and it popped out. Luckily the car was stationary when it popped.
Once in a rush I installed an axle (I believe from Napa) that didn't have the c-clip installed on it. I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't stay... luckily I had an extra clip to install on it and then it stayed in place.

Thanks for the input. The rotors haven't warped at all yet which I'm very glad about since they are putting up with stop and go traffic every day along with Hawk HPS pads. The OEM rotors that they replaced were horrid...but they did have about 80k miles on them.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have EBC Slotted Rotors and I'm not getting any grinding? hmm.... Is the replacement caliper an aftermarket or an Acura part?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I have EBC Slotted Rotors and I'm not getting any grinding? hmm.... Is the replacement caliper an aftermarket or an Acura part?
It's an OEM "spec" caliper but it's not an Acura cast so I think it's just too thick. I'm going to measure the thickness of the other side and make sure that's the case though.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CometVR4
It's an OEM "spec" caliper but it's not an Acura cast so I think it's just too thick. I'm going to measure the thickness of the other side and make sure that's the case though. Hopefully a little grinding will fix it!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Ground down the inside of the caliper a bit and no more grinding. Turns out the cheapie Autozone caliper was to blame with the cast that was too thick.