DYI Fender repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYI Fender repair

Wondering if anyone has had experience with doing their own front fender replacement.

I need to replace the driver side front fender. It doesn't look all the hard but I have a few questions:

(I got a quote of $1000 to have a body shop do it with after market fender). I figured it will cost me about $400 to have the same body shop paint the fender once I put a new one on the car. SO question #1: is this estimate correct, or can it be done cheaper.
Question #2: What should I expect to pay for an after market fender? Are there good and bad after market versions? WIll all fit the same? Will I have to shim things, etc?

Question #3: if you do this job yourself, will the connection still be as weatherstripped as OEM? are there special coatings or seals that are applied that prevent the seam from rusting?

Question #4: if I put on after market fender (which I am presuming will be primed), will painting after the fact do a good job since it can't actually paint the back side of the fender, on the same note, does the body shop paint in the wheel well?

Need advice, I don't mind paying $1000 if the question above make it too much of a hastle.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've heard that aftermarket body parts for a car are risky in the sense that the fit will not be exact. OEM is usually the best way to go to insure optimum fit.

paintwise...it comes down to color match. yeah you could paint it then that one panel won't quite match up with the rest of the car. the body shop would blend the paint with the rest of the car to make it look like nothing was done. the colormatch is more difficult with certain colors (black, pearl colors) from what i heard.

price-i would say just go do your homework. get several estimates from other shops. $1K is not unreasonable for something like this.

if you want it to look good and done right go to a profressional. if you know what you are doing and have the means to go DIY with the same quality of work as a pro....

my only other thoughts would be...please don't disrespect the image of the TL by going half ass. i've seen the results of that on a black TL around my area....it looks horrible (overspray, matte finish against the nice glossy finish, totally amateur and ghetto). i doubt you would go this route, otherwise you wouldn't be on AZ with the rest of us TL lovers.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you dont paint that fender on the car!

it comes bare metal, then often needs bondo to fix shipping damage as they get dinged

First you test fit and align to make sure all is well-
remove from car
then the painter mixes a test batch based on paint code and looking at the sun wear on your car and matches the paint, this may take a few tries to get right, painting a test sheet and drying- hold next to your car

Next primer paint goes on all of the surface,
sand primer to prep for paint, then paint the back and edges of the part- called jamming
If on the car you cant get paint to those areas = rust
Then the needed coats of paint, with time baking each dry, and clear coat if applicable

Install fender, buff its paint, detail/buff car so old paint looks new too

If you bring the part in and take away- no warranty against chips from you doing install~

When done all in the shop- if the painter needs to shoot into the door to make a no line blend, they will do whatever it takes
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Would advise against "after market" body parts. Acura does not authorize after market body parts-so most just "close" copy an existing part. Cannot be exact-because they do not have the original stamping dies.

One thought is to see if you can get a salvaged oem fender in the same color as your car ( insurance companies have shops do this often). Big salvage yards can do a search for you. Often, the salvage yard can tell you the condition of the part, what year, and color the part is. Even if you find a color match-you may still want to get it painted. However your starting point would be way better than bare sheet metal.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
please just save your self, and go to the body shop, painting is an experience in and of itself.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
e92TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
aftermarket stuff on other parts may be okay.. but when it comes to replacing some mechanical and body parts.. i wouldn't do it... think about it if fender is replaced with made in china quality after market frame or something... car will fold like a paper :p