DRL LED's trying to get me in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question DRL LED's trying to get me in trouble

What's up y'all!

I already posted this in a different thread, but here we go again...
I got these
LED lights LED lights
recently. I like everything about them, but today, when driving to work, the guy in front of me waved at me, like "You can pass me". I then saw on his car's reflection that my DRL's are randomly turning off and on. The weird thing is - it doesn't happen when I'm running the A/C, or when I'm parked (regardless of the A/C being on or off).
Here's a quick video.

What do you, guys, think? Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
Is it Canadian or US version ? Which year? How exactly you connected them? Does it happen only when driving ? They are both connected to same wire/power source? Did you do/use any wiring modification ?

Describe as much as it makes sense.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by peter6
Is it Canadian or US version ? Which year? How exactly you connected them? Does it happen only when driving ? They are both connected to same wire/power source? Did you do/use any wiring modification ?

Describe as much as it makes sense.
It's a US 2008 TL-S. The lights are plug & play, you can check the link. No wiring mods have been done. It only happens when I'm driving without A/C. I'm thinking, faulty ground could be causing this.

Last edited by ATLS15; 07-26-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:30 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Im assuming these LEDs came with resisters? Did you make sure the resisters are firmly mounted to a metal surface? I would also double check all the connections. You shouldn't drive around like this, everyone in front of you is gonna be trippin. I know I would be like "wtf does this guy want". I hope you can fix it but if you cant then put those stock bulbs back in until you do!

Last edited by dopeboy1; 07-26-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

For a moment let's ignore A/C, and that they both are turning off/on at the same time.

That's what I think and what I would do :

Your bulbs are "plug & play", but they are headlights LEDs. Manufacturer didn't anticipate to use them as DRL.
If you used two stock DRL connectors, it makes bulb run in series. Let's assume that both of them are getting 6V.
If you look into specification, voltage range is 8V-48V.
They have some kind of driver, and because of that they are able to operate at 6V.
However they are probably not as bright (again, they are full power headlights bulbs).

So if you used two stock DRL connectors, disconnect one bulb. Other one shouldn't work. Then short out this one connector, for example with paper clip.
Worst case fuse will blow out,
most likely other light will work just fine.

If it works, secure that shorted connector and go for a ride.

Report back if it blinks or not.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
There's been multiple threads about no such thing as plug and play DRL's. It requires either a Relay harness or a crazy wiring job like Peter6 did in his thread.

PNP = bullshit lie
Old 07-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
I hope you can fix it but if you cant then put those stock bulbs back in until you do!
Thanks, man. Those stock bulbs are long gone though...
Originally Posted by peter6
Your bulbs are "plug & play", but they are headlights LEDs. Manufacturer didn't anticipate to use them as DRL.
That was my concern when I got the same LED's for my wife's 2013 TSX DRL's - it's been a month with no issues whatsoever.
So if you used two stock DRL connectors, disconnect one bulb. Other one shouldn't work. Then short out this one connector, for example with paper clip.
Worst case fuse will blow out,
most likely other light will work just fine.

If it works, secure that shorted connector and go for a ride.
Do I understand you correctly - I will have one working light in the best case scenario?

Originally Posted by thoiboi
There's been multiple threads about no such thing as plug and play DRL's. It requires either a Relay harness or a crazy wiring job like Peter6 did in his thread.
Yeah, I had that relay harness mess under my hood for 2 years with my previous DRL's... After installing the new lights on the TSX, I loved how clean it all came out. The LED's are bright as hell too.

I respect what Peter6 did in his thread, but it's not a solution for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

This one bulb connected, connector shorted is just a test. I want to make this one bulb to run at 12v.

If it doesn't blink anymore, then you need harness or modify wires.

If it keeps blinking then problem is somewhere else and we will keep looking.

Is your DRL light on?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Cruisin'

Understood. I'll run the test this weekend.

No DRL light... I gotta thank people for having their cars clean, otherwise, I wouldn't know there's an issue with my lights.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

So, I replaced the new LED's with the ones I had before, just the bulbs, without the relay harness - they didn't light up at all. No DRL warning light either... Weird, but I can live with it for now. I really don't feel like adding all those extra wires back.

BTW, I went to Pep Boys today to get some stuff and asked the store owner what he thought about the issue. He said it has something to do with the A/C clutch... like the current isn't stable when A/C is off, which makes the lights strobe.

Appreciate your time, guys.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLS15
So, I replaced the new LED's with the ones I had before, just the bulbs, without the relay harness - they didn't light up at all. No DRL warning light either... Weird, but I can live with it for now. I really don't feel like adding all those extra wires back.

BTW, I went to Pep Boys today to get some stuff and asked the store owner what he thought about the issue. He said it has something to do with the A/C clutch... like the current isn't stable when A/C is off, which makes the lights strobe.

Appreciate your time, guys.
I put my led's in my acura and they didn't light up, if you put 1 in and the halogen bulb it lit up. So basically, to get the drl or lower light output they put the bulbs in series, 1 power wire running through 1 bulb to the next then ground. It essentially makes for... 6v to each bulb. Now to the led's, they have a higher resistance than a halogen bulb. In simpler terms, when you plug in 2 led's the first led has too high of resistance, the 2nd led has nothing left over for power to light. So with 1 led plugged in and 1 halogen it lights, because when a halogen bulb has little current through it, it acts like a piece of wire.

What I did to fix it and re wire it a bit. The power runs from drivers side drl to pass then ground. I took the wire heading leaving connector heading to the pass side and cut it, I then used a scotch lock/wire T and attached it to thr power wire. I then grounded the wire on the connector I snipped. Supplies both bulbs with proper 12v power. No more issues.
The following users liked this post:
ATLS15 (08-02-2017)