driver side tweeter dashboard area rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rod11
My 07 Type S has been at the dealership 4 days now with them trying to solve this dash rattle and also a rattle from the back seat. There was a service bulletin for the rear rattle for them to reinforce the rear deck in like 9 spots. They say this is done. For the dash rattle, the tech figured out that it was in fact the tweeter causing it. He reinforced the area but that didn't work. He removed the tweeter and grill entirely and the noise went away. They have ordered a new tweeter and grill and should be installing it today. Hopefully this works b/c I really need to get out of the loaner TSX. I can't believe Acura even puts their name on this car.
BTW what service bulletin? Does it apply to 2008 models too? I have some rear rattle. Can you find out more about it for me?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thelinux
BTW what service bulletin? Does it apply to 2008 models too? I have some rear rattle. Can you find out more about it for me?
I should be hearing from the dealership in the next few hours. I'll ask for more detail about the service bulletin and post it here.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Instructor

I should be hearing from the dealership in the next few hours. I'll ask for more detail about the service bulletin and post it here.
Thank you. I will be waiting.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Intermediate

Sorry for the delay. The bulletin number is 04-043.

My rear rattle wasn't there all the time, so hard to say if what they did worked or not. The front rattle is another story.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Sorry for the delay. The bulletin number is 04-043.

My rear rattle wasn't there all the time, so hard to say if what they did worked or not. The front rattle is another story.
Thanks.
Found it from http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B04-043.PDF
Seems like this is something I can not do by myself.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

i think i have the same rattle and it drives me nuts. it only really rattles when i first start driving my car. seems to come from the area where the dash meets the windshield.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought i had the same rattle a few days back and could not locate the damn source. I was pretty sure it was coming from the tweeter area so i did all the steps here and nothing. Then for some reason i took off the driver's side dash plastic cover by the door to see if i could hear the rattle clearer and it was gone. I immediately turn to the cover and put it back on and there it was again. So i put the adhesive foam all around that cover and no more rattle for almost 4 days.

Now i need to get that stupid b-pillar rattle fixed lol.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpecTro
I thought i had the same rattle a few days back and could not locate the damn source. I was pretty sure it was coming from the tweeter area so i did all the steps here and nothing. Then for some reason i took off the driver's side dash plastic cover by the door to see if i could hear the rattle clearer and it was gone. I immediately turn to the cover and put it back on and there it was again. So i put the adhesive foam all around that cover and no more rattle for almost 4 days.

Are you talking about the air vent enclosure? My rattle is definitely not the tweeter they thought it was because it's still there. Not to mention the rear deck rattle is more frequent now that they've applied the service bulletin fix.

I'm bringing it back in next week to have a new driver's side vent installed b/c I think that's where the rattle is coming from. Since you say foaming the cover worked for you, I'm going to request that they do that while it's off.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpecTro

Yeah, what cover are you talking about?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
HE has to be taking about the vent. There is nothing else over there. There is a DIY thread somewhere around here for it.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I fixed this issue. My car has been doing it steadily for 6 months. As it was figured out earlier in this thread, it has something to do with the upper vent tubing just ever so slightly touching somewhere deep in the dash closer to the firewall and definitely not easy to see or find.

My solution...insert pieces of 7" to 8" long and about 3" to 3.5" wide pieces of corrugated cardboard. I happen to use the box for ramen noodles but any type of packing box that is about 1/8" thick. I ended up 'wedging' 4 pieces in between the upper and lower tubing.

I drove the car first without the vent cover to make sure it worked. I could replicate the noise driving down our local streets that are concrete sections that were nice and irritatingly bumpy. Each time I added one more piece and got to 4 pieces and no sound. I came back home and trimmed the ends so I could fit the vent back on. Done!

Pics...

Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've driven it around some more and there has been a little rattle every now and then. I ended up picking up some 3/8" rubber vinyl hose and used it to pack around the outside of the upper vent tubing. This provided some additional resistance to the cardboard. You can see in the picture above that I have what looks like some insulation on the top right, that's some cloth I had put there originally as padding.

I ended up getting the hose for the rear deck lid rattle and that is now gone. I figured I'd use it around the vent too as stated above.