Driver side head light problem very mysterious. Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Question Driver side head light problem very mysterious. Need opinions

The Driver side headlight went out. The bulb is not exactly old or new, maybe 4 years old. Anyways I thought it was the bulb until I jacked the car up to take the front bumper off and all the sudden IT WORKED AGAIN! Come to taking off the rest of the bumper off and dismantling the headlights the bulb would again not ignite.

I switched the bulbs and the diver side would still not light but the passenger side would so the bulbs are still good. Normally I would think the ballast has gone bad but since it worked again after first going out and then going back out I am not sure if the ballast is actually the problem. I have never heard of a ballast dying out like that. From my experience it just works one day and the quits completely the next.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Yes ballast can be intermittent as it's dying
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Yes ballast can be intermittent as it's dying
Well I just swapped the ballasts after realizing they are the same and still only the passenger side works. some plastic piece from the harness clip came off in stayed in the ballast so I thought the clips were side specific at first. i removed it and sorted everything out before swapping the ballast ofcourse.

anyways, what can it be now?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,691 Likes on 6,705 Posts
Did you swap the igniter too?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Im gonna try that next. I hit my damn ankle on the actual bumper hard and its all swollen LOL im taking a break
Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Solved

Turns out it was the igniter. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I took it off and opened it up to try to fix the board by the oven method and it managed to zap me even though it was completely disconnected to everything. It might be a short in there somewhere. But i was able to find a new aftermarket one on amazon for only 30$

heres the link for anyone in the future reading this https://www.amazon.com/Igniter-Inverter-Headlight-Starter-Module/dp/B01J4DLVY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484356041&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+hid+igniter

by the way after I baked the igniter cable and put everything back together the headlight did come one right away but after I turned it off and switched it back on, the bulb would not light. I dont know much about electronics so IDK what the problem is.

Last edited by Fatfrii; 01-13-2017 at 07:10 PM.