Door seam rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door seam rust

So i found some rust occurring just on this rear left back door that looks just like in this photo. By the bottom door seam.

It's like developing rust and it's not too heavy but I've since sanded it lightly down and sprayed some white rust paint over it as that's what my body shop guy told me to do to save some money for now lol. But I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get him to fix it? Rust is only there plus bubbling on my cars top left corner of the roof under the paint. I really want to keep this car for at least 2-3 more years and I'd hate to have this car start rusting heavily on me as I'm very anal about my cars exterior looks and I want to keep it as clean as possible. I wax the car by hand every summer and I've sprayed some rust proof spray over the cars quarter panels and such. Only thing I haven't done is professional rust proofing. Should I bring it to rust proof this end of the upcoming summer? Or fix the rust first and then rust proof?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Not sure why you are using someone else's photo.....and not posting pics of your car.

Did you get all your other issues sorted out?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
The door skin may have been replaced, but in any event, that's a costly, aggravating repair as one needs to get inside the door to see how extensive the rust might be. The only way to ensure a no rust condition in the future is to cut it all out, or at least make certain the panels are rust-free. You can wire brush the seam and door bottom and use rust converter on outside and POR inside the door, but that certainly is no guarantee and the door will still need paint.
Look for a rust free used rear door maybe in the same color, as many are listed starting at $150.00

Same with the roof, the paint needs to be removed to see how extensive the rust might be under the paint, and once it is all removed the entire roof will need repainting.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
Not sure why you are using someone else's photo.....and not posting pics of your car.

Did you get all your other issues sorted out?
Because I spray painted over it, LOL. And yeah I did. Oil level was at max. Mechanic couldn't diagnose because the light went off and everything was functioning.
Just tryna see my options. Currently saving money to maybe buy a new car since this car is way too old with some rusting that's occurring. And a tranny that's most likely will pass sooner or later.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbonut
The door skin may have been replaced, but in any event, that's a costly, aggravating repair as one needs to get inside the door to see how extensive the rust might be. The only way to ensure a no rust condition in the future is to cut it all out, or at least make certain the panels are rust-free. You can wire brush the seam and door bottom and use rust converter on outside and POR inside the door, but that certainly is no guarantee and the door will still need paint.
Look for a rust free used rear door maybe in the same color, as many are listed starting at $150.00

Same with the roof, the paint needs to be removed to see how extensive the rust might be under the paint, and once it is all removed the entire roof will need repainting.
I suppose I could look for a new door. But then again, all these things you're saying, all costly repairs for a car I got for 4000$. maybe it's time i start looking for a newer car. One that the owner might've taken care of it better before hand.
This is my first car and I most certainly learned a lot. Now I know what to look for when I purchase another car lol.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
i had that same rust on mine (but worse). i didnt even know it was there until I was getting my car painted and the shop pointed it out. I elected to deal with it the proper way and got the shit cut out and new metal welded in. wasn't cheap though
Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,751 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcdong
I suppose I could look for a new door. But then again, all these things you're saying, all costly repairs for a car I got for 4000$. maybe it's time i start looking for a newer car. One that the owner might've taken care of it better before hand.
This is my first car and I most certainly learned a lot. Now I know what to look for when I purchase another car lol.
Yeah, dump that POS...
Old 01-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
i had that same rust on mine (but worse). i didnt even know it was there until I was getting my car painted and the shop pointed it out. I elected to deal with it the proper way and got the shit cut out and new metal welded in. wasn't cheap though
Yeah I'm very weary about that. I feel like if I could go back, I'd go for a manual TL. Feels more better to keep it longer since clutches aren't too expensive to replace in comparison to auto.
I had plans to buy another TL manual but thinking to looking at other cars as a Better platform for modding. Maybe an 8th FA5 SI or a newer 9th gen SI.
Really want a car which I can dump money into without having issues like this rusting or potential tranny problems
Old 01-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Yeah, dump that POS...
I dunno about you guys but this is catching my eye LOL

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Yeah I'm very weary about that. I feel like if I could go back, I'd go for a manual TL. Feels more better to keep it longer since clutches aren't too expensive to replace in comparison to auto.
Clutches have the potential to be be cheaper....but if driven hard and/or incorrectly can fail even sooner than an auto.
I had plans to buy another TL manual but thinking to looking at other cars as a Better platform for modding. Maybe an 8th FA5 SI or a newer 9th gen SI.
The TL for sure is not the easiest nor cheapest platform for modding.
Really want a car which I can dump money into without having issues like this rusting or potential tranny problems
Any car has the potential for rusting or tranny problems. All a matter of luck, maintenance, and how much it is abused.