Door pocket and passenger seat rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door pocket and passenger seat rattles!

I've got two very annoying rattles in my car and I think I've pinpointed where they are coming from. If anyone has any experience getting rid of these, please help cause they're driving me nuts!

1) DOOR POCKET
My passenger door pocket rattles almost all the time. It was hard to narrow down exactly where it was coming from, but I stuck a camera tripod in it and pushed down and the rattle went away, so I figure it's coming from the pocket. It seems to be on the loose side as it sometimes will open up by itself, so maybe there's something in the hinge area that's rattling around. I tried spraying WD40 in there and it didn't help.

2) PASSENGER SEAT
There's something INSIDE my passenger seat that rattles! Sometimes when no passenger is in the car, I hear this rattling and I was able to make it stop by simply putting my hand on the passenger seat and pushing down a little bit. So something right under the surface of the seat is making noises...maybe the heating element?

If anyone's had any experience with these two rattles and how to fix them please chime in!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My passenger pocket rattles to. I think it vibrates against something. I just leave it open and it stopped for now. When I have time I will fix what is causing it.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Do you know exactly what is causing it? If I could pinpoint what part of the pocket is making the noise, I'll go fix it right away.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
5th Gear

"2) PASSENGER SEAT
There's something INSIDE my passenger seat that rattles! Sometimes when no passenger is in the car, I hear this rattling and I was able to make it stop by simply putting my hand on the passenger seat and pushing down a little bit. So something right under the surface of the seat is making noises...maybe the heating element?"

I had the same problem till I found the following thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...Passenger+Seat

Fixed my problems!

Mike
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgs24
"2) PASSENGER SEAT
There's something INSIDE my passenger seat that rattles! Sometimes when no passenger is in the car, I hear this rattling and I was able to make it stop by simply putting my hand on the passenger seat and pushing down a little bit. So something right under the surface of the seat is making noises...maybe the heating element?"

I had the same problem till I found the following thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...Passenger+Seat

Fixed my problems!

Mike
I don't think it's the same rattle. Mine doesn't occur when someone is in the seat, only when it's empty. And it seems as though it is right below the surface of the leather. If I push my hand on the surface of the seat (with only a couple pounts of force) the rattle stops. That's why I think it's actually INSIDE the seat somehow. But I could be wrong. I'll check out that link you posted and see if that might be the culprit somehow.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I also did the "felt under the seat rail" fix as in the link previously provided and it fixed the rattle. Mine was exactly as you describe yours. Only when the seat was empty, hand on the seat stopped it.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear

I had my dealer do the "felt on the seat rail" fix because I couldn't get the two bolts off. Apparently there's a TSB on this issue. Most of the seat rattles are gone now, but occassionally I still hear a clicking sound just as you described...like it's coming from *inside* the seat. If I press on the rear left of the seat bottom the sound goes away. Maybe they didn't put enough felt? Maybe it's a second rattle...I'm going to have them look next time I go in.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
side pocket rattle fix

I had this problem intermittently but one time i drop off my car for service and got 06 loaner. I felt the pocket on the 06 and sure enough it fit real tight and snug to the door...so pulled it out and examine i notice it has a thick piece of felt inside right under the snap in part...sorry if the description is kinda bad but i am sure you know what i am talking about...after the felt...the side sun glassed holder fit tight to the pocket..no more looose...no more rattle...and as far as passenger seat rattle...check the sun roof first because for months i thought it was something coming from the passenger side...it was driving me nuit...finally i found out it was the sun roof...when opened..no rattle...rattle bad when closed....also...look at the lower end of the seat belt...where the seat belt insert in...seat belt holster??? it might run again the center console..try a piece of felt between the seatbelt holster and the certer console..might fix...
Old 02-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Instructor

It is the pass. seat hardward UNDER the seat. The rail needs to be replaced. That's what they did to mine
Old 02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Sounds like using felt is the answer to fix a lot of these rattles. Question for y'all with felt: Where did you get it? And does it have a sticky side to it or is it just plain old felt materail? If it's just the material, what did you use to make sure it stayed in place?
Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Racer

i thik you can get them from walmart

or hobby lobby they exist in your state...for me i just asked the service advisor for a big piece...they say "acura ordered the felt in big rolls because of all the rattles the TL has" and he qoute "TL has 2 times the problem as the TSX..great news ehhhh???...anyways...yeah i am gonna ask for another piece to fix some of my rattles that them claim they never heard
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by millerrh
Sounds like using felt is the answer to fix a lot of these rattles. Question for y'all with felt: Where did you get it? And does it have a sticky side to it or is it just plain old felt materail? If it's just the material, what did you use to make sure it stayed in place?
I used thick felt circles with adhesive backing. They are about 1/2" to 3/4" diameter, 1/8" thick and are brown. They are meant to stick on the bottom of furniture to keep it from scratching floors. I think I got hem at home depot a long time ago. They were what was "at hand" in the garage back in Jume when I fixed mine.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 AM
3rd Gear

Got my felt from Michael's Arts & Crafts. 20 cents for a large square. No sticky side. I offered it to the dealer but they insisted on using their own which has a sticky side...probably the same stuff they used on the passenger door pocket which interestingly was already applied when I bought the car.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by millerrh
I don't think it's the same rattle. Mine doesn't occur when someone is in the seat, only when it's empty. And it seems as though it is right below the surface of the leather. If I push my hand on the surface of the seat (with only a couple pounts of force) the rattle stops. That's why I think it's actually INSIDE the seat somehow. But I could be wrong. I'll check out that link you posted and see if that might be the culprit somehow.
I had an identical problem few month ago. My fix was to get a piece of felt, undo the front right seat bolt, place between the seat and the metal floor, tighten it and that did the trick. This took about 5 minutes to do, try it before taking drastic measures. Good luck
Old 02-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by unagisan
Got my felt from Michael's Arts & Crafts. 20 cents for a large square. No sticky side. I offered it to the dealer but they insisted on using their own which has a sticky side...probably the same stuff they used on the passenger door pocket which interestingly was already applied when I bought the car.
Where on the passenger door was that stuff applied? I'm having a hard time pinpointing exactly what about the door pocket is rattling. If you can post a picture of where to put the felt, it would be awesome.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought I was saved from the door pocket rattle, while I was reading this thread a few days ago. But low and behold, it started rattling today. Quiet a bit at that too. =/

Anyone pinpoint a solution yet?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Racer

the felt should be put right underneath the snap on clips...which the side facing towards the back of the car..this part rubbing against the plastic part on the door that is holding them...i can find a pix later
Old 02-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Yeah, if you could post pics, that would be AWESOME. This rattling is driving me insane and I'm not sure what you're talking about from your description.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Racer

Well my car is at the dealer for the sun roof rattle....this is one crazy rattle for me...most of the time i would have to drive my car with the sun roof open because it drives me crazy...anyways...let me go into more basic of the structure of the door pocket..1st question is do you know that part of the door pocket come out (detachable) when u pull on them toward the front of the door..i think...but they come out...should be 4 clips or hooks that hold them in place with the door...once you have the section seperated from the door...it look like a square box...on top of it it a soft rubber should be right above the clips or right under the clips or hooks (which also under the soft rubber) , apply felt right here..
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Oh, I had no idea that part slides out and seperates from the door. I just bought some felt today, so I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the description...hopefully that will fix it.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Instructor

I'm not really seeing how the pockets come out... can you sketch a picture or post a photo at all?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Racer

just pull it straight out...the hooks not holding them that tight....i think you pull it toward the front of the car....or toward to outside of the car...dont worry..nothing gonna break if you pull it the wrong way...those are just regular snap on hook ...just slide it out....feel the little pocket..i see that you are in austin..i am all my way to austin tomorrow..give me ur # maybe i'll call you tomorrow to give u better instruction...cause i still dont have my car with me...anyone else willing to help??..i'll try to take some pic tomorrow ...