Does Your TL Squeak/Creak/Click/Pop Like an Old House

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does Your TL Squeak/Creak/Click/Pop Like an Old House

Hi guys, as the winter months have come upon us I have noticed something with my TL; here is my situation;

I have a 2008 TL which is only a little over a year old with about 15k miles on it; I've noticed over the last few months, especially since the colder weather has hit in the northeast here that everyday when ever I'm out driving my TL there are these terribly loud creaks, clicking, and popping sound throughout different areas of the car while I drive along; it happens on any kind of road, even smoothly paved interstate or highways that don't have any road imperfections, I'll just get these loud popping/clicking sounds like plastic pieces behind body panels, the ceiling, dash, etc are popping in and out of place

A few days ago, I was driving on the highway and there was a terrible loud pop from behind my head on the pillar where the seatbelt attaches into the side of the car; it scared the shit out of me so bad that I nearly lost control of the car

I swear to God that my only 1 year old TL sounds like a 150 year old house that creaks and makes sounds while you walk through it and even on its own

Has anyone else experienced this with their TL? I have never had this in a car before; I had a 2006 TL before this and that TL never did any of this; I even at one time owned cheap shitty shit chevy's and even they never made these kinds of creaking/clicking/popping noises

I mean it isn't like something in particular is loose because this is happening all over the car, in parts of the roof, dash, seats, pillars, rear deck, back seats, etc

any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
The TL is known for rattles and creaks. No surprise there! The creaks and pops could be from the doors. The weather stripping dries up and can cause the door to creak and pop. You are still under the bumper to bumper warranty, get it fixed at the dealership.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 79 trans am that has less rattles.Turn up the tunes.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Mine does it too, mostly when cold. Using rubber protector on the weather strips in the doors will eliminate about 75% of the noises. It's just the car flexing and as the rubber parts get older they make noise especially when you have a relatively stiff door and the rest of the car flexing.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
its because our car is 97% plastic.... Sarcasm. Its the car flexing like IHC says and when things are cold they want to be tight. Every car I've been in besides a new Mercedes, new BMW and a higher end car has done this. GMC trunks do it really bad, this one denali I was in was the worst. One problem that also contributes to this is the fact that our car is all snapped in. Door panels, body kit, engine pieces, headliner, all trim.