Does my car have power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does my car have power steering?

Obviously it does But, I swear, at low speeds, it doesn't feel like it. The steering is very stiff, and takes a considerable amount of effort. I've never felt a car newer than a 1985 model year feel as stiff. I don't mind it. In fact, I kind of like it. But, if it's not supposed to be like that, I'd like to get it fixed for free

Possible power steering issue? Do these cars have speed-variable power steering like most modern cars? Maybe there's an issue with it in my car?

2006 TL 6MT
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Do you have any whining when turning or first starting your car in the morning?

Open your reservior where your power steering is and see if you have any bubbling issues.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Nope. No whining. No grinding. No noises at all, in fact. At first I thought it was just the nature of the car. But, the effort required seems a little excessive. I'll check the power steering fluid and the fuses when I get home from work. I figured I'd ask first in case it was normal. I'm guessing not?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The steering is even heavier in a 2007/2008 TL Type S
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
We have power assist steering and yes it is variable assist. More boost at lower speeds than at high.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The steering is even heavier in a 2007/2008 TL Type S
Hmm, so you're saying the low-speed stiffness is normal?

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
We have power assist steering and yes it is variable assist. More boost at lower speeds than at high.
That's just the thing. In my car it seems opposite. I've driven many cars that can be steered with one finger at a stand-still but tighten up greatly at speed. This car doesn't seem to vary the assist at all.

------

I couldn't find a fuse in the manual that was labeled power steering, which is odd, since I would think the assist would be computer controlled in some way. Off to check the PS fluid level.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jsh139
Hmm, so you're saying the low-speed stiffness is normal?

That's just the thing. In my car it seems opposite. I've driven many cars that can be steered with one finger at a stand-still but tighten up greatly at speed. This car doesn't seem to vary the assist at all.

------

I couldn't find a fuse in the manual that was labeled power steering, which is odd, since I would think the assist would be computer controlled in some way. Off to check the PS fluid level.
Those days have been gone a long time for performance-oriented machinery and thankfully so. Believe me, you do not want that much assist because it comes at the price of less to no road feel.

If you can get the opportunity, try to drive another TL as a comparison. See if there is a difference in your mind to what you are experiencing.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Those days have been gone a long time for performance-oriented machinery and thankfully so. Believe me, you do not want that much assist because it comes at the price of less to no road feel.

If you can get the opportunity, try to drive another TL as a comparison. See if there is a difference in your mind to what you are experiencing.
Oh, I agree. More road feel > softer steering. As I know no one else with a 6-spd TL (or any TL for that matter) I'm just going to sit on this until I take it to the dealer to have them fix a few other tiny things.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsh139
Obviously it does But, I swear, at low speeds, it doesn't feel like it. The steering is very stiff, and takes a considerable amount of effort. I've never felt a car newer than a 1985 model year feel as stiff. I don't mind it. In fact, I kind of like it. But, if it's not supposed to be like that, I'd like to get it fixed for free

Possible power steering issue? Do these cars have speed-variable power steering like most modern cars? Maybe there's an issue with it in my car?

2006 TL 6MT
Sup man? I'm bringing my car to the dealership Thursday to get my power steering pump replaced. The guy asked me if it was tough to turn when backing up or just getting going and hell yeah it is. It's a fricken workout to turn the wheel sometimes but that will be resolved soon. My guess would be the pump.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP -

Assuming you've had the P/S hose recall done, AND that the tech replaced the o-ring, your pump is probably just taking a crap. It's not all that uncommon; we stock P/S pumps, and did even before the recall came out (and not just for the noise/bubble issues, before we knew about the o-rings).

And for some reason, the 6MTs seem to have more issues then the autos. If it is your pump, and you're in warranty (I know you're an 06, but not sure of the mileage so), then it shouldn't be a prob to have it replaced for no cost.

Bottom line is it should still be "pretty effortless" to turn at low speeds. There will be some effort, but there shouldn't be a lot or anything like that. So if you're getting a gym quality workout just trying to turn when stopped, take it in
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 218TL
Sup man? I'm bringing my car to the dealership Thursday to get my power steering pump replaced. The guy asked me if it was tough to turn when backing up or just getting going and hell yeah it is. It's a fricken workout to turn the wheel sometimes but that will be resolved soon. My guess would be the pump.
Good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by acuratech239
To the OP -

Assuming you've had the P/S hose recall done, AND that the tech replaced the o-ring, your pump is probably just taking a crap. It's not all that uncommon; we stock P/S pumps, and did even before the recall came out (and not just for the noise/bubble issues, before we knew about the o-rings).

And for some reason, the 6MTs seem to have more issues then the autos. If it is your pump, and you're in warranty (I know you're an 06, but not sure of the mileage so), then it shouldn't be a prob to have it replaced for no cost.

Bottom line is it should still be "pretty effortless" to turn at low speeds. There will be some effort, but there shouldn't be a lot or anything like that. So if you're getting a gym quality workout just trying to turn when stopped, take it in
Yep, my car's still under warranty. The recall was performed (from looking at the Acura owner link site). This seals the deal. I'll be taking it in. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Good info folks. I've been following this issue and I believe it's common.

I've got a 2006 AT TL, and during ultra-low speed, tight turning (think: 3 pt turn in a two lane street) the steering effort becomes significant. Interestingly enough, if the car is still/parked, the effort always feels normal.

Had a long talk with a service tech. He said he's experienced this on numerous 3g TL's and his theory is that the ECU, for whatever reason, does not provide enough throttle during ultra-low-speed turns in order to get enough fluid pumping so that the steering is light. We agreed that the pump was not blown, because it was capable of turning the wheels easily at a complete standstill, where significant hydraulic assist is also required.

After this I decided to:

1) Reset my ECU (search to learn how to do this)
2) Use nothing but 93 octane (my previous owner had used mid-grade from time to time, I would use 91)

Results: After 500+ mi of ECU training, stiff steering only happens half as often, and only in the tightest and lowest-speed turns. A PS pump replacement may help, but it would provide a very marginal improvement IMO.

I often wonder whether (non-stock) tire gripiness or different specs on the recalled PS hose interacted with the ECU to cause this stiff steering, and of course there are many other things in general which could cause it (not in my case). These include underinflated or misaligned tires, damaged pump/rack, and bad/low fluid.

I'm new here.. this is really a helpful place, esp during my research on this issue! Thanks to all.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
Do you have any whining when turning or first starting your car in the morning?

Open your reservior where your power steering is and see if you have any bubbling issues.
I do, does this mean I need the power steering pump replaced? Is there any documentation on the power steering recall?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

My car has the same problem. No whine or anything, just really tight/stiff steering at low speeds.

Any solution for this? anyone know the specific cause to this problem?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by linky33
I do, does this mean I need the power steering pump replaced? Is there any documentation on the power steering recall?
Here ya go:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-016.pdf
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Intermediate

I also noticed the tight/stiff steering at low speeds only happens after the car is warmed up. When I first start the car up in the mornings, the steering is normal. Any reason for this?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the hose recall done.. and a p/s pump replaced

Then the steering got stiff when parking - to the point where it was difficult to turn.. power steering pump was replaced

Then it did it again.. power steering pump was replaced

Then it did it again along with making noise while turning at low speeds.. power steering pump replaced.. along with the entire rack, all low/high lines, fluid reserve tank, but then noise continued

So they replaced a tensioner.. made it worse.. so they replaced the belt and another tensioner.. still had the noise.. then they flushed the tranny fluid.. noise is gone.. for now!

I have 6MT as well.. your p/s pump is probably shot sir!

After all of the above my steering is extremely tight now; it seems a tad heavy during low speed/parking, but my car is 5 years old so i'm sure I was probably adjusted to the sloppy/worn feeling of things - now it feels brand new!

Last edited by timmahh; 06-02-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rollaaa
I also noticed the tight/stiff steering at low speeds only happens after the car is warmed up. When I first start the car up in the mornings, the steering is normal. Any reason for this?
Same here. I believe this is because the ECU keeps the RPMs slightly above idle speed during the first couple minutes after a cold start in order to warm the engine up. This in turn provides more power to the PS pump, and bam, normal low-speed steering... for awhile.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
P/S recall was because of a possible fire hazard: just a hose and maybe that o-ring. I don't think it had anything to do with noise or efficiency.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asbestos
Same here. I believe this is because the ECU keeps the RPMs slightly above idle speed during the first couple minutes after a cold start in order to warm the engine up. This in turn provides more power to the PS pump, and bam, normal low-speed steering... for awhile.

I tried resetting my ECU, still have the same problem. How do you "train" the ECU?

Is there a way to reprogram the ECU to idle higher so the steering is normal?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I have a 6MT. Took the car to the dealer TWICE for steering pump issues. After the second visit there is no whining, no knocking, no noise but still very hard to turn the wheel at very low speeds.

I don't know WTF they did but seems like they fix one thing and mess up another. Luckily it was all under warranty
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rollaaa
I tried resetting my ECU, still have the same problem. How do you "train" the ECU?

Is there a way to reprogram the ECU to idle higher so the steering is normal?
To train it, just drive normally. It learns your habits and the car's characteristics and then adapts for ideal smoothness/efficiency.

AFAIK you cannot manually increase the idle speed on these 3g's. I guess the thinking is that if you're needing to do that, other issues should be fixed first.

As an update, I have hypothesized a possible cure. There is a "power steering pressure switch" which lies between the pump and rack. It detects when the line pressure is particularly high (parking) and tells the ECU. The ECU will then increase the RPM's accordingly for smooth steering.

This sensor is located on the pass. side near the wheel well, in the area of the recalled PS hose. The area is notorious for extreme heat, which degrades sensors over time (and incurred the recall). I was talking to a tech about this idea, and he thought it was reasonable, and also noted that the sensor has a binary on or off operation, so maybe it's still working, but just switching at the wrong point.

Here is the part. I have one and will install it soon and keep all posted. If this is a cure I'll prob start a new thread...
Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
A Black TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When i first bought the car and pulled out of the dealer, and went home and u can hear a winning noise coming from teh engine.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

@Asbestos
Did you ever install the "power steering pressure switch"? If so, did it improve the PS support of the TL when parking?