DIY front bumper repaint? NBP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY front bumper repaint? NBP

Hey guys I am looking to repaint the front bumper on my NBP TL due to lots of tiny rock chips. My uncle has all of the equipment such as compressor and spray guns and what not since he used to paint cars about 25-30 years ago.

With that said I would like some insight on how it is done exactly since its been a while since he has done it and modern cars may require a different procedure.

I'm here to learn and would love a short description from those who have done this of the process including prepping, sanding, priming, applying the base coat and how to mix reducer, and how to apply clear coat.
Also how long to allow it to cure and time in between coats, etc.

Also where to buy the paint and other things needed to do this. I've searched online and can't seem to find the NBP paint.

Thanks a lot guys for your time and help.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
I have very little experience painting, but I do know that getting a good color match on a pearl color is difficult.

To do the bumper you'll probably have to blend it into the fenders. Need to use a flex agent too since the bumper is a plastic.

Alternative to blending is trying to tint the paint the right color to match. Tinting is usually less expensive, harder to do right and usually not that great.

To be honest if you can live with the rock chips that may be a better idea or get a shop to do it, estimates are usually free.

Only painting I did was black and out of a rattle can with a rattle can clear and flex agent. My car is white though, so color matching wasn't a concern at all and I used Spraymax 2k clear-coat in a rattle can as well.

All of the paints had different windows when they can be re-coated in. The flex agent I used (bulldog) required about 15 minutes between coats and then I think an hour or so prior to putting any paint on it.

The primer was like 15-20 minutes between coats.

My base coat was enamel had 1 hour on it max.

Black is also the most difficult color to paint. It'll show everything, the slightest imperfection, leaving too rough of scratch lines during your prep work, fisheyes, etc. will all show through black the most.

I do recall when I did it I did quite a bit of reading and was advised to spray it as follows (mine came out pretty good).

- Coat 1 --> Light misting of paint on your piece, should be able to see most of what is under it, could be referred to as a dusting.

- Coat 2 --> Another light coat of your piece, more coverage but you should still be able to see the color under the paint you're spraying

- Coat 3 --> 1st Medium coat, I just went for complete coverage to where I could no longer see the primer I had put on the piece

- Coat 4 --> I did another medium coat

- Coat 5 --> Can go a little heavy and get good coverage. Your paint is less likely to run due to the coats that were previously sprayed providing 'tac' for this coat. I still wouldn't go crazy though

I did the same process for each of the different paints, the bulldog, primer, basecoat (color) and clearcoat observing the re-coat windows for each and I sanded quite a bit before starting and after priming. The highest grit I used was wet-sanding at 600 after letting the primer set up before sanding. I only did 2 coats of the bulldog though and didn't hit the fiberglass grill piece I painted with bulldog since the primer was compatible with fiberglass. No primer on the emblems either, just scuffed with grey scotchbrite until water sheeted and then hit with bulldog, base and CC.

Here's the thread I did with some of the steps I used:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=Ebay+grill

Also some paints are easier to make run than others, for example bulldog runs like crazy if you overspray it. However the primer, enamel and clear coat I used I had no problems with runs. I actually re-painted one piece that I had dropped and it also was the only one I got a run on with the bulldog.

Honestly, repainting your entire bumper is not something you want to attempt to DIY if you're inexperienced with paint. Especially a black pearl color. If you spend all of that time prepping your bumper before painting it and the cost of materials, paint (pearls are expensive), clear coat, etc and then mess it up while you're spraying it...

Probably better off living with it or taking it to a good shop in your area.

There are just so many things to be concerned with when painting. I got orange peel on my pieces, pretty much unavoidable when using a rattle can like I did. You can get uneven thickness, particles landing in your paint, etc. etc. etc....

You do have a spray-gun though and in experienced hands it could get done right. Have access to a paint booth? I used one on base (I'm active duty military) when I painted those pieces.

Last edited by mzilvar; 08-22-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
Last note ... to get the paint you can go to a auto paint supply store and give them the color code for your car. They can then mix the paint for you to that color code.

If you're looking for 'OEM' paint there is no such thing. Paint can be made by any number of manufacturers such as PPG or others and they all go off the color code to make the color. Color code is in your door jam on a sticker, not sure exactly what it is for NBP.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfect. Thanks a lot man!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
good luck in getting it to match the fenders and hood. any 3 stage paint is hard to match the plastic bumper and metal parts. go to any auto paint store and give them the color code. they will mix it for. you are lucky since your uncle has all the equipment already. just buy a pint of the paint and give it to him.