Detonation and snapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detonation and snapping noise

Hi guys, two different topics here.. First, when my car is cold, it seems to detonate something fierce. I only use 91 octane (it's the best we've got in KS), in fact I ran 2 tanks ago down basically empty (8mi left on fuel estimator) and filled it with Shell premium. Still did it, so I did this again (5mi left on estimator) and hit it with Pillips66 premium, still does it. Seems to be worse when cold, but feel like I hear it occasionally when driving around. Never does it at WOT, but at part throttle when it's lugging a little (like 30mph in 3rd (manual trans) just putting through neighborhood).

Should I put a can of octane boost in it? or can I somehow reset the fuel trims? My car came from Florida (at sea level) and is now in Kansas (1450ft), but if anything that should have richened things up. I'm suspecting that it's timing related..

Second deal, I hear most often in parking ramps, but when the car starts to move (fwd or reverse) I hear a snapping kind of noise, just one or two clicks. Doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight, or forward or backward. Is this a symptom of a failing motor mount? It's not a repeatable deal like a CV, just a coupe faint click click or single click, and then it's gone.

Thanks again for everything. You guys are great. Got an appointment this Thursday at dealer for trans fluid flush. 3rd gear rejects me about every 100th time. It's pretty frustrating, especially when I'm showing off my new hotrod.. I've read that GM synchromesh is better solution than the newer Honda stuff, but I figure it's under warranty, may as well let them have a record of the complaint.

TJ
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
What year and mileage on your car?
You may be hearing noise from a mis-adjusted exhaust/cat heat shield, esp. if you don't get the noise under WOT-- the heat shield was subject to a TSB, esp. for the early 3G TL. It might account for the snapping noise as well. Have the dealership check the heat shield while you're there.
The TSB should be in the 3G Garage TSB link and the heat shield was the subject of a number of threads here in '04-'05.

G/L, and welcome to AZ.