Dealer Charge for Rotors/Brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer Charge for Rotors/Brake pads?

Guys,

If you had your front rotors either turned down or replaced to get rid of shimmy.........may I ask exactly what they did, if you are happy and how much it cost?

If you had warranty, how did they fix it, by turning them to true them?

Did they have you buy all new brake pads etc?

I'm thinking a set of quality, non junk rotors and pads are my best bet even though I have some warranty left. (self done as I don't mind it)

Thanks in advance,

QuickRick
Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by QuickRick
Guys,

If you had your front rotors either turned down or replaced to get rid of shimmy.........may I ask exactly what they did, if you are happy and how much it cost?

If you had warranty, how did they fix it, by turning them to true them?

Did they have you buy all new brake pads etc?

I'm thinking a set of quality, non junk rotors and pads are my best bet even though I have some warranty left. (self done as I don't mind it)

Thanks in advance,

QuickRick
Hi Rick,
By turning rotors, what the dealer does is measure the rotor in different spots to see it's thickness. With warped rotors, some area's will be thicker than others. By using the data collected by measuring, they find the lowest point and literally shave down the rotor to match that point. However this cannot be done if the lowest point is thinner than the minimum specs of the rotor.

There isn't much of a warranty on brakes unless your car has less than 12K or is less than 12 months old from the factory. After that it is up to the dealer (in acura's case). However if you have a 3rd party maintenance plan (like BMW has it's plan), it is up to them how to proceed with fixing the issue.

I went the route of aftermarket brakes as my stockies warped at 40K. The dealer wanted about 180 dollars of labor plus parts (about 300 dollars) per axle for the car. I bought some Racing Brake Slotted rotors and Acura A-Spec pads (non-brembo brakes) and was ahead of the game. These rotors are amazing, they do dust slightly, but they stop on a dime like they should.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer and Brakes

CS,

Thanks for the pricing info...it is what I'm after. Also, I didn't realize the 12,000 mile rules for fixes on brakes.

I'm thinking that, yes, you can shave off the high spots but there is less heat mass and it will warp again in even less time.

New pads and rotors are the right way to go.

Thanks,

QR