dash fade

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by pinito
I am so tired of the lack of customer service displayed by corporate Acura. My dealership is fine but once you kick it up, forget it. Next year, I will be trading or selling the TL.

Before you jump ship .. check out other brands ... customer service is an issue you see all over ... VW is supposedly horrible too.. mind you I have not seen that.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Before you jump ship .. check out other brands ... customer service is an issue you see all over ... VW is supposedly horrible too.. mind you I have not seen that.
When I do, it will be for the Lexus GS300 AWD.

Will likely do so in about six months (too much going on now) - may sell first and buy when 07 GS is out (no more first year cars for me!) or I may keep TL until the 07 GS comes out and trade it in.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Yup that was put by my wife since she does not like the leather smell (Zaino's leather in a Bottle). Though it's empty and ran out of all it's juice and I just keep it there for her. Do not know what scent it was.

It was either Vanilla or Jasmine Mist. Those are some damn good air fresheners
Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by adam12hicks
One application of the Maguiars NXT Tech Protectant from AutoZone made it look like absolute new, with no nasty oily shine like armor all, etc. It's a really nice satin finish that doesn't attract dust.

I can't imagine anything doing a better job, and this did it in one pass.

But if you like unneccessary work, have at it!

Adam
Just got a bottle last night at the store after reading your post and taking your recommendation. Stuff works great! Highly recommend.

Maguiars NXT Tech Protecectant.....works wonders! Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Im sorry Jogan but @ the dice.....
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
Im sorry Jogan but @ the dice.....
to you for lauhing.

Anybody know what it says?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adam12hicks
My dash was looking HORRIBLE. You could see the outline from the airbag, it was all white, I was very upset. I used the new NXT Tech Protectant and it looks as good or better than new. It's held up well too.

I'm absolutely sold on the stuff!

Adam
I too was getting some serious fadding going on even with using 303.
I tried the Maguiars NXT Tech yesterday evening, so far so good, it seems to have evened out the areas around the airbag, the white patchy areas have all gone away, if it stays looking good I will switch to the Maguiars and hopefully it will be something less I have to worry about.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Racer

I just picked up some Meguirs NXT product. My car is only 1 1/2 weeks old so I'm going to try some preventative treatment.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

No shine?

I passed on it in store cause it said something about shine - so I put it back.

It stays flat?

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Just got a bottle last night at the store after reading your post and taking your recommendation. Stuff works great! Highly recommend.

Maguiars NXT Tech Protecectant.....works wonders! Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
No shine?

It stays flat?
The reason I prefer flat finsh on the dash is that a gloss finish will reflect on the windshield which can be distracting while driving.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
smd
1st Gear

What a Joke!

I went to my dealer today to fix numerous issues, and spoke to them again about my ever fading dash. They said that Acura finally issued a TSB on the Dash Fade. Their big solution is to clean it off and spray the Honda Dash Cleaner on it that lasts for a few weeks. Pretty sad for a $ 35k car. Should never have sold my BMW................
Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TBone2004
No shine?

It stays flat?

If you wipe it on let it sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess you won't get a shine.
Even so I don't think we should have to do this for a car in this price range.
Maybe if enough people complain Acura will addresses this issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I came from 2 Infiniti's and their Customer Service was leaps and bounds ahead on Acura. Between poor cusotmer service and clearly cheap cost cutting interior this is my first and last Acura. Hell I'll takeka Hyundai over this crappy TL! This TL has so many quality issues, bad tires, head liner issues, fading and squeaky dash, buzzing rear deck, noisy center tail light, and on and on. Never seen such poor quality in a Japanese car, and I have owned numerous of them. My 87 Sentra for $6500 had better quality than this $32k Acura!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
I came from 2 Infiniti's and their Customer Service was leaps and bounds ahead on Acura. Between poor cusotmer service and clearly cheap cost cutting interior this is my first and last Acura. Hell I'll takeka Hyundai over this crappy TL! This TL has so many quality issues, bad tires, head liner issues, fading and squeaky dash, buzzing rear deck, noisy center tail light, and on and on. Never seen such poor quality in a Japanese car, and I have owned numerous of them. My 87 Sentra for $6500 had better quality than this $32k Acura!
AMEN!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Zaino Z-10 Conditioner Works For Me

I bought my Silver/Black Navi in April 2005 and first noticed the dash fade around August. After 8 weeks of procrastinating it was really starting to look terrible (milky/ashy surface described previously) - so I found this thread - read all entries to date and decided to try Zaino's Z-10 "Leather in A Bottle" conditioner. I treated the dash with a generous coat early October and followed it up 3 weeks later with a second. My dash looked great after the first coat and I noticed no additional fade before I applied the second. Currently the dash looks practically new.

A new thread mentioned that Acura might have released a service bulletin on the dash fade problem. Perhaps they will eventually get around to offering a repair/replacement. However - if this Zaino product continues to work as well as it has been... I'll take that over the squeaks and rattles a dash replacement will result in.

Recommend trying the Zaino product - it seems to work well. Will post again in several months with an update on durability.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
i know i'm the one who recommended zaino ...however
for me it started to work strange after several applications
may be i over applied it or something
it was starting to get blotchy all over the dash
it wasn't faded ... just very uneven
so i tried other things

i gave a second chance to NXT
if i wipe it off right away i get "milk" all over the dash in in a few hours
if i let it sit it's pretty damn shiny!
but wiping it after a day still didn't work well, as it tends to wipe off unevenly
again leaving me with the same look or worse as zaino
mind you i'm a perfectionist in many aspects of my life not just my car
i want my dash to be one color and not shiny

so here's a couple other things i've tried so far

Pro Honda (the one dealers are supposed to use)
well i don't know what they do with it
but the only way i can see that stuff being applied evenly is by soaking the dash in a tub full of it
it dries out to a fairly matte finish, but i found no way to make an even application
and i tried really hard

NUVinyl - very watery, leaves NO gloss whatsoever, as a matter of fact leaves such a dull looking surface you will start thinking about may be putting some gloss on
dries out on the spot
leaves you with fairly OEM looking dash in a bad meaning of OEM ...
you'll see all the blemishes again but it won't be as milky as before
which made me think that this may be an excellent stuff to remove all the other chemicals i've put on my dash

KIT protectant (yellow spray bottle with racing flags)
i think this one might have been a lucky guess
it's only been 3 days, but i've never seen my dash being so even, not even after the first zaino
i applied it right after NUvinyl, went on a bit hard , it was beading as if the surface was very water repellent (which i imagine it was) but this one could be wiped right off or could be left on, either way it gives some luster but no shine and definitely evens out the blemishes not just the milky veins

i'm going to see how it holds and post updates
all in all i've decided to find the right stuff
cause even if one day i decide to replace the dash i want to know how to keep it in a good shape
Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pinito
Well, so I took my car to Acura to talk to the DPSM about the dash fade. My appt was for 10. He was running late and said he would be in at 10:30. By 11 am he still was not there. The dealership's service manager was so embarrassed and couyld noit even get him on the phone. Have not gotten a call from the DPSM explaining the "blow-off" or apologizing.

Acura TLC my ass - more like Acura arrogance. I am writing a letter to ACS (worthless group but will get it out of my system).

I am so tired of the lack of customer service displayed by corporate Acura. My dealership is fine but once you kick it up, forget it. Next year, I will be trading or selling the TL.
Complained to ACS and got a call from Alan - yet again proving how WORTHLESS ACS is. In essence, he ignored the fact the DPSM blew off our scheduled meeting. He told me he was sorry the DPSM blew me off only after I pointed how it clearly shows a lack of care for the customer.

He went on to say that I had to put up with the fading until Acura develops a long term solution, in which case they will contact me. However, he was not aware of Acura working on a long-term solution.

ACS and their total luxury care is total BS.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

I want to keep this thread going///// I am calling tomorrow to complain not only about the dash fade, but the dealership that backed my car into a parked car during an oil change. Yes thats right, my car is in the body shop, thanks to my fantastic Orange County California Acura dealer. If Acura is overwhelmed with calls, maybe it will expedite the fix! Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Obey
I want to keep this thread going///// I am calling tomorrow to complain not only about the dash fade, but the dealership that backed my car into a parked car during an oil change. Yes thats right, my car is in the body shop, thanks to my fantastic Orange County California Acura dealer. If Acura is overwhelmed with calls, maybe it will expedite the fix! Thanks
Good luck, just be ready for the attitude and their normal "we're sorry but we are not going to do d*ck".
Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Intermediate

Unhappy Dash Fade

Originally Posted by Obey

Anything short of replacing the whole dash I don't see what else they can do!
I'm pretty upset too about a dash that's fadding on a $33,000 car but I'm not sure I want the Acura tech pulling the dash cover off and breaking or scratching other parts, not to mention the rattles after they have finished! The car will never be the same no matter how many times you take it back to the service department.
It's going to be interesting to see how Acura decides to handle this one.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
by the way NUVinyl as a "primer" and Kit as a conditioner is holding up good so far
better than any other stuff i tried
Old 01-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Racer

Hi guys- new to the board here with a couple dash-related questions...

Do you use the 303, etc. over the rubbery fine waffle surface that's over the top of the driver's side instrument panel?

Mine has some white spots on it that were there when I got the car and I haven't been able to get them off with water.

Also, the dealer's body shop made a small scuff mark in this area when they tried to remove it. Of course they said the spots were taken care of but the spots remain and now the scuff- not even where the spots were! It looks like someone swiped it with fine sandpaper. Almost unnoticeable- but still!

Anyone know how I might get rid of the spots and/or scuff?

Any advice on that would be appreciated!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

My dealer put leather conditioner on my dash to try and hide the spots (and a scuff mark that they called a defect), I noticed the spots a couple of days after the initial delivery, I brought the car back and they said "they would do whatever was necessary to make me happy", well their only offer was to replace the dash!

I talked to the service manager who said they were using Lexol Leather Conditioner on the dash.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, he did that

303 once every 3-4 months has kept my fade at bay. I've had my '05 TL since Sept '05 and 303 has done the job

Oh, and I use it over the entire dash, including that waffle mesh area.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

The regional Acura rep here recommended Turtle Wax "2001 Super Protectant" for the dash. I use it about every 90 days or so on my '04 TL, and the dash looks great.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CCogan
The regional Acura rep here recommended Turtle Wax "2001 Super Protectant" for the dash. I use it about every 90 days or so on my '04 TL, and the dash looks great.
I forgot to add that before I used the Turtle Wax 2001, my dash looked pretty bad.

I would try anything & everything before having my dash replaced! Believe me, they never go back together quite like new, and there will be a lot of squeaks and rattles. Just treat the dash occasionally with one of the products mentioned and accept the issue as an idiosyncracy of your TL. All vehicles have them.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
i still dont have anyh problems with the stuff the dealer sold me, that honda cleaner. as mentioned above by another member it is difficult to get an even application (and that is kind of annoying) but its been three months? since i came back from the dealer and have not had any more issues with the fading.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dash fade, what to do...

For those that haven't looked at the sticky on the main page that has a number of Acura Service Newsletters, here's the one that discusses the cause and fix for the "faded" dash.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B051200.PDF

There's a cleaning step that needs to be done, before applying a treatment or protectant, to remove the residue that makes the dash appear faded.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by JoganJani
to you for lauhing.

Anybody know what it says?
It says "I could've had a V8"
Old 02-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by subinf
i still dont have anyh problems with the stuff the dealer sold me, that honda cleaner. as mentioned above by another member it is difficult to get an even application (and that is kind of annoying) but its been three months? since i came back from the dealer and have not had any more issues with the fading.
I like your Mustang. I have a 66 convertible, as well as my Acura TL. I don't have any dash problems on my 40 year old Mustang! What get's me if how they sluff off their problems on the customer. As long as car is under warranty they should do the cleaning every time it is brought in for service. Also why is this still a problem on the 2006 TL? It should not take three years to fix an issue like this. It should have been rectified on the late 2004 TL's. As much as I like Honda reliability I am not happy with this situation.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
^
I love all Mustangs built before 1969, my girlfriends dad has a '66 and its beautiful. And no kidding about the dash fade on them, convt. parked in the sun still looks new x amount of years later.
Anyway, when I took my car in for some warranty work they took care of the dash, but blamed it on me for using an alcohol based product and poor upkeep. They used the Honda cleaner the first time and recommended that I buy it and continue to use when needed. I've done that and it has not been much of a problem, just so long as one area does not look darker than the other.

I do agree that by 2006 Acura should have gotten their shit together and figured out what type of material was causing the fade/dandruff/etc. In any event, hopefully the response in this thread has reduced the 'pain in the ass' factor to where we can drive without being distracted by the odd looking dash.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Advanced

my dash

I started using vinylex made by lexol when new. At first it did not seem to work, but after multiple applications it started to look better, now after a few more applications it looks great! Also now it seems like applications are only needed once a month or so. I apply it using a paper towel soaked with vinylex. Now the dash and the other vinyl parts have the same shine.