dash fade

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaMike
Elmer,

I certainly can understand your frustrations. And since several people report the same problem with the dash, I am sure that reinforces your frustration. But it is really unfair, even cruel, to dash the excitement a soon-to-be-owner deserves to enjoy. Maybe it is better to channel that energy into solutions you can offer Johniya.

No, the TL is not a perfect car. I have some noted idiocyncracies of the TL that drive me nuts...but I still love my TL. That said, I would never rain on the parade of a new owner. How would you feel if you just plopped down the cash, obviously excited in anticipation, then you seek information from other enthusiasts, and you get a reply that in essence, tells you that you made a mistake? I would hope we can be more supportive to other new TL owners than shoot them down. You are dispacing your frustration on someone who doesn't deserve it.

You have done some homework on the dash...now follow up and report back before shunning others. I noticed some fade on my dash and I found a solution that is making me happy with the results. I posted on the board as a solution to try.

'nuf said.
I don't believe Johniya has purchased his TL YET and since he has not, and this thread has caught his eye, which it should have, I have advised him of another vehicle he may look into purchasing instead.
This dash issue added to other things that Acura has failed to live up to plus the way Acura customer service talked to me and others on this website had led me to never buy another Acura ever.
Thus, I only think its fair to offer to help others out with information and suggestions based on personal experience just as you would ask for references for a doctor from friends and whatnot.
Don't let your love of the TL tell other people what they should and should not tell others.
True, the Tl is not a perfect car, no car is, but when you have legitimate issues with quality, you should get a better response than "Never heard of the problem, you are the first to complain of dash fade" GIVE ME A BREAK
Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Elmer,

I don't doubt you have problems with your TL. Sharing your problems and telling him to go buy another car are very different things. I do discuss my concerns with my TL, and yes I do love it. You, obviously do not love yours, but don't deny others their chance to enjoy the car. If you are not enjoying yours, can no one else enjoy either?

You might have better said "I plan to get an IS350". Maybe you should...you decide for yourself, not what others tell you.

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
I don't believe Johniya has purchased his TL YET and since he has not, and this thread has caught his eye, which it should have, I have advised him of another vehicle he may look into purchasing instead.
This dash issue added to other things that Acura has failed to live up to plus the way Acura customer service talked to me and others on this website had led me to never buy another Acura ever.
Thus, I only think its fair to offer to help others out with information and suggestions based on personal experience just as you would ask for references for a doctor from friends and whatnot.
Don't let your love of the TL tell other people what they should and should not tell others.
True, the Tl is not a perfect car, no car is, but when you have legitimate issues with quality, you should get a better response than "Never heard of the problem, you are the first to complain of dash fade" GIVE ME A BREAK
Old 09-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaMike
Elmer,

I don't doubt you have problems with your TL. Sharing your problems and telling him to go buy another car are very different things. I do discuss my concerns with my TL, and yes I do love it. You, obviously do not love yours, but don't deny others their chance to enjoy the car. If you are not enjoying yours, can no one else enjoy either?

You might have better said "I plan to get an IS350". Maybe you should...you decide for yourself, not what others tell you.
There comes a point where the problem is so widespread that there is no doubt Johniya would experience the dash fade. Don't get me wrong, I love high class things and when I purchased the TL the patterned dash was one of the most attractive details of the interior. However, the milky white faded dash of today makes be wish I had knew back then what I know now. The motor trend long term update mentions the ugly look of the dash in their 04, since it has not been fixed in 05s, I say Johniya should look elsewhere unless it is fixed in 06. But I'm not holding my breath on it.
Good luck Johniya.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:41 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you, ElmerHiggins.

I'm planning to purchase my TL tomorrow Sep. 14, 05 afternoon.
I have talk to the New England Acura Service Chief Manager yesterday through the dealer. The manager told me that they never get any official complaint about dash fading yet. Also she(the manager) took a look of our forum then she saying that the product people use may cause the fading.
well since she says that she garantees if any fading happens that she will take care of it (don't know how however)

When the IS350 will come out? is that going to be very soon?
I have to sell my FX35 to get another car yet I guess IS350 will drink up the premium gas as my FX does....If so...I won't even going to concern about it...Since the major reason I'm getting TL as a gas saver yet still somewhat luxurious.
I spend $600~$700/mon for the gas with my current vehicle ...and it just killing me.

well Thank you again ElmerHiggins and I really appreciated with your advisory.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by johniya
Thank you, ElmerHiggins.

I'm planning to purchase my TL tomorrow Sep. 14, 05 afternoon.
I have talk to the New England Acura Service Chief Manager yesterday through the dealer. The manager told me that they never get any official complaint about dash fading yet. Also she(the manager) took a look of our forum then she saying that the product people use may cause the fading.
well since she says that she garantees if any fading happens that she will take care of it (don't know how however)

When the IS350 will come out? is that going to be very soon?
I have to sell my FX35 to get another car yet I guess IS350 will drink up the premium gas as my FX does....If so...I won't even going to concern about it...Since the major reason I'm getting TL as a gas saver yet still somewhat luxurious.
I spend $600~$700/mon for the gas with my current vehicle ...and it just killing me.

well Thank you again ElmerHiggins and I really appreciated with your advisory.
Product causes fade - right there is a warning sign. I use water to clean and 303 to maintain. My friend uses nothing and it still faded. As for fixing it, they'll repalce it and it will fade agin. I would look elsewhere as well.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Racer

Johniya:

There goes Acura's blame it on the customer or anything not to take responsibility mode of operation. My dash turned milky white and I HAD NOT PUT ONE SINGLE CHEMICAL ON IT. Not even wiped it. Congrats in advance on the purchase. If you are worried about gas I would check out the IS 250 instead, due out soon. I only mentioned the IS 350 since it will be a TL killer on the track no doubt. IS 250 should give you better mileage than a TL though.

Nevertheless, the TL is a great car caught up in a company that refuses to better itself by treating their customers like they paid $30K+ for their vehicle. Good luck again.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear

Dealer Response To Dash Fade

All,

Dropped the car off this morning for some concerns, a wheel replacement (girlfriend decided to kiss a curb within the first week), and I also mentioned the dash fade issue.

The service advisor told me that others have complained about it, and until Acura decides to do something about it, there is nothing they can do. I talked to the tech that came out to get the car, and he said that they are actually taking the cars somewhere and having the dash dyed. Uh, no thanks.

I just told them thanks, please note it on my service receipt so that I have a record of it, and that I would continue to try and take care of it myself. They offered to put a "sealent" on it, but I said no thanks. I probably should have let them, considering then they cant blame it on the "chemicals" that Im using (Meguiars), but oh well. Maybe next visit.

Sorry, no solutions. Just wanted y'all to know what they are saying here in Tucson.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear

Hello every TL owners who may be suffering from dash fading and the future TL owners who will be suffering for the same issue...

As I posted earlier I went to the dealership (Biggest Dealership in New England) to sign a contract; however, I made stop to the parking lot just before I step into the dealership, The front parking lot and the back parking lot of the service department.
After I checked all around there was only one thing left in my mind… “Run! Run away from here”
I really want to let all the TL buyers who is planning to purchase the TL that the DASH FADING will bring you very serious level of problems in near future.
I have looked into about 15~16 TLs windshield just for today, include all the TLs parked on the street, and the parking lot of the dealership. I noticed most of them have serious color fading on their dash surface except the brand new one, yet even the demo car in the dealership also has the fading.
Unless you are the blind, anybody can tell that the TL’s dash color fading is serious problem.

I told the dealer that I will come back, if 2006 TL comes out with better dash material.

I feel terribly sorry who purchased the TL without knowing the fact and wish ACURA will recall your lovely TL.

Until this issue solved, as well the rattling problem, I will keep drive my FX35.

I'll keep come back until you post any positive update.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johniya
Hello every TL owners who may be suffering from dash fading and the future TL owners who will be suffering for the same issue...

As I posted earlier I went to the dealership (Biggest Dealership in New England) to sign a contract; however, I made stop to the parking lot just before I step into the dealership, The front parking lot and the back parking lot of the service department.
After I checked all around there was only one thing left in my mind… “Run! Run away from here”
I really want to let all the TL buyers who is planning to purchase the TL that the DASH FADING will bring you very serious level of problems in near future.
I have looked into about 15~16 TLs windshield just for today, include all the TLs parked on the street, and the parking lot of the dealership. I noticed most of them have serious color fading on their dash surface except the brand new one, yet even the demo car in the dealership also has the fading.
Unless you are the blind, anybody can tell that the TL’s dash color fading is serious problem.

I told the dealer that I will come back, if 2006 TL comes out with better dash material.

I feel terribly sorry who purchased the TL without knowing the fact and wish ACURA will recall your lovely TL.

Until this issue solved, as well the rattling problem, I will keep drive my FX35.

I'll keep come back until you post any positive update.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION! and this is precisely what I was making sure you were absolutely aware of!

You are lucky, you knew about this before hand, I can only wish I had knew this before purchasing the car.

Now please do us a favor and call Acura and tell them why you didn't buy and maybe if will register in their minds that they can push people who already bought around but it will affect their new sales. Maybe, just maybe, they will change their response to this situation.

Again good choice, I really hope they fix it for 2006 so that you can get one without having to worry about fading.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the FX and make sure you check out the new IS, I just received a preview invitation from my local dealer so put in a call to your local dealer and ask them for permission and details on their UNVEILING OF THE TL KILLER.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
CJB
Intermediate

I wonder how many TL owners don't have dash fade? My dash is fine,no fade at all.I purchased the car in April of this year and have 9,000 miles on it.
I applied 303 about 1 month after purchasing it and haven't had to reapply any so far.
My car is parked in a open air lot all day while I'm at work, it gets sun blasted all day.
Still have no fade, makes me wonder.
CJB
Old 09-15-2005, 03:54 PM
9th Gear

where do you buy the 303?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
At the risk of stirring the pot and pissing people off....

I realize that some of you definitely have fade and milky spots so I am not pointing this at you.

But, the dash of my TL has never had the same sheen as the black vinyl on the tops of the door panels or like the steering wheel center. The dashboard (non dimpled area) has always been a matte charcoal black. The color is very even (I use simple cleaning and 303). I have always believed this to be because the dash is specifically made of a matte finish material. The only part of the dash that has the same sheen is the small strip way up where the windshield meets the dash. That is easily noticed to be different material.

So I guess what I am saying is that if your dash is even in color but just a bit "charcoal matte" compared to the door panel tops, then I think it is by design and intentional in attempts to minimize glare. I would say that if this is the condition some are referring to as fading then they are wrong. To like or not like it is an entirely different subject.

If your dash is uneven and has serious gray spots then that is just plain wrong and you should complain.

How many are complaining about the "matte" nature of the dash vs how many really have bad dashes like Elmer.

Let the flaming begin.....
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
jfp
Intermediate

sorry I did it

Just got back from the dealership with my new dash. VERY diappointed. The dash still has the marks and indentions in them as my old dash did. This one has a new set of marks and lines. Also some of the trim pieces that fit so nicely before now have gaps. One piece ( under and to the right of the steering wheel) fell off whie I was driving. the plastic clips were deformed.

Overall I am sorry I did it. The only good thing is it is slightly darker than the first one, but who knows how long that will last.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Racer

Anyone else with dash replacement experience? So far I have seen one great one and, unfortunately, heard about the poor one they did for jfp.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
I slow down for COPS

I have some white spots and an airbag outline on mine too.

Just called the dealer and they told me to stop by and they have a "special" cleaner that will take care of that problem.

I will report as soon as I will visit them. Hopefully, it will not be just a temp solution.

Mark.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Instructor

By recommendation I used the Meguiars NXT Tech protectant. Purchased at Auto Zone. Dash now looks great.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rventu
By recommendation I used the Meguiars NXT Tech protectant. Purchased at Auto Zone. Dash now looks great.
Did u clean the dash with anything before that?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by levyfresh
Did u clean the dash with anything before that?
Just wiped off the dash with a damp soft cloth first.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I slow down for COPS

I stopped by the dealer yesterday. They put their "magic" treatment on the dash and it looks good now. They did not want to tell me what they used, though. We will see how long the good look will last.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Team Anthracite Member

So they would rather have complaining customers bad mouthing Acura about fading dashes then to tell us what they used - they are so friggin stupid.

Please do let us know how it lasts and we can plan a break-in to acquire this magic treatment....

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
They did not want to tell me what they used, though.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:55 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by TBone2004
So they would rather have complaining customers bad mouthing Acura about fading dashes then to tell us what they used - they are so friggin stupid.

Please do let us know how it lasts and we can plan a break-in to acquire this magic treatment....
I just called them and talked to a different service advisor to see if he can tell me. I told them that I wanted to stop by and buy some of it for future issues. He said that it is not available at their parts dept. nor parts stores. They get it bulk from their supplier. He said to just stop by and they will take care of it for me or they would maybe give me a sample (I was the one who asked if they would).

I will let you know on how long their magic lasts.

Regards, Mark.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:59 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004

They most likely used something you would prefer they didn't. Or they don't want the secret to get out. Then they will loose the chance to make quick/easy money from Acura.

mark 3M bra man:
If you rub in an inconspicuous spot does any color come off? Keep us updated on how well it holds up.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Keep having thoughts of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

"What's the secret sauce at Bronco Burger..."

~Ketchup and Mayonnaise

Originally Posted by clsdave
They most likely used something you would prefer they didn't. Or they don't want the secret to get out. Then they will loose the chance to make quick/easy money from Acura.

mark 3M bra man:
If you rub in an inconspicuous spot does any color come off? Keep us updated on how well it holds up.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by clsdave
They most likely used something you would prefer they didn't.
That's my thinking. Yeah, lots of petroleum products or silicone in it. There are lots of products that are available to auto detailers that hard for us to get. Some times we want them and some times it is best to stay away.

My rule is "you will not put anything on my paint, leather or vinyl that you will not tell me what it is." Period. My dealer offers a wash and clean with oil changed and I pass. I don't want any crap on my dash or whatever they put on the car.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I stopped by the dealer yesterday. They put their "magic" treatment on the dash and it looks good now. They did not want to tell me what they used, though. We will see how long the good look will last.

i just got back from the dealer because of some defective paint and the service advisor told me they noticed my dash was covered in a white powder. told them it had been there since i bought the car. they cleaned it, however, with some stuff they have in the parts department. i didnt realize until i got home i should have bought some, called them back and said i can come down whenever to get it.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

I gotta admit all this talk about Dash Fade got me a little nervous about my next TL purchase. I called my service advisor and asked him point blank about this issue. He told me that he has a lot of TLs coming in with this issue but he has been most successful having folks stop using other products and putting on this “Magic” stuff from Acura. He also said that it is his hope that Acura will redo the dash material for the 06’s similar to the RLs since they don’t seem to have the issue. However I just got of the phone with Acura customer service and they really had nothing to say about the issue other than contact the dealer to find out what Acura has instructed them to do. So it looks like the “magic” stuff is the best solution other than replacing the dash.

I would really like to hear from more folks who have let Acura put this “magic” stuff on.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Racer

My dealer does not know of the stuff, I will ask another one but it will be a hassle to get this stuff put on and have to re-do it every so often for the life of the vehicle. I personally would no repurchase the vehicle had I known of the issue. With that said, enjoy your new ride!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Batman-JGII
I gotta admit all this talk about Dash Fade got me a little nervous about my next TL purchase. I called my service advisor and asked him point blank about this issue. He told me that he has a lot of TLs coming in with this issue but he has been most successful having folks stop using other products and putting on this “Magic” stuff from Acura. He also said that it is his hope that Acura will redo the dash material for the 06’s similar to the RLs since they don’t seem to have the issue. However I just got of the phone with Acura customer service and they really had nothing to say about the issue other than contact the dealer to find out what Acura has instructed them to do. So it looks like the “magic” stuff is the best solution other than replacing the dash.

I would really like to hear from more folks who have let Acura put this “magic” stuff on.

do you want to know the name of it or just whether or not it works. I got back from the dealer and my dash looks better than it ever did. i have not cleaned it since ive owned the car, though the dealer told me that if i did buy something different from what they used to stay away from products with alcohol in them, as that will affect the finish.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Racer

SUBINF, what is the name of the product?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Spy
Advanced

Is the dash fade only an ebony problem or does the camel/parchment interiors suffer as well?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by subinf
do you want to know the name of it or just whether or not it works. I got back from the dealer and my dash looks better than it ever did. i have not cleaned it since ive owned the car, though the dealer told me that if i did buy something different from what they used to stay away from products with alcohol in them, as that will affect the finish.
My service guy told me that he would give me a bottle of this stuff so I really just wanted to know the results. Your info is right on the money. Providing the name of the product for others on here wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Spy
Is the dash fade only an ebony problem or does the camel/parchment interiors suffer as well?
ALL
Old 09-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Racer

SUBINF, any update on product name??
Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by pinito
SUBINF, any update on product name??

yeah im picking up the cleaner on monday when i have my window regulator replaced. havent had time this week to get down there aside from the work that was done...ill post on monday night or tuesday sorry for the delay
Old 10-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Had the dash fade problem. All I used was Armor All Low Gloss and the thing looked as good as new. If I have to put that on once a month, I don't think it is anything to get upset over, compared to how often I have to clean my rims, I can deal with it.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JERU
Had the dash fade problem. All I used was Armor All Low Gloss and the thing looked as good as new. If I have to put that on once a month, I don't think it is anything to get upset over, compared to how often I have to clean my rims, I can deal with it.
I have tried to put product (303 and Vynilex) and even after application you can see the discoloration streaks. My fad is not a uniform fade. It is streaky, splotchy.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had the same problem and thought it was just me. I'm looking forward to trying the Zanio product as a remedy.

This forum has great value for us TL owners.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
My dealer does not know of the stuff, I will ask another one but it will be a hassle to get this stuff put on and have to re-do it every so often for the life of the vehicle. I personally would no repurchase the vehicle had I known of the issue. With that said, enjoy your new ride!
And I would purchase the TL again knowing about the problem. All cars have problems, and if that would be the only one: who cares, especially that it can be easily cured. It may be a temporary cure, but given that I can treat my dash everytime I wash my car, I will not ever see the milky stuff on it again.

In other words, I love the car and it would not stop me from buying it. I have seen bigger problems with brand new cars. And those were problems that could not be as easily cured (even on much more expensive cars).

My
Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Banned

I retreat my dash with 303 everytime I personally wash it. Sadly as it gets colder the frequency will drop so I'll have to do it on a whim.

Sucks, but at least it's something I can take care of, unlike the half a dozen rattles and fit and finish issues.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 PM
SSM 6MT

And I would purchase the TL again knowing about the problem. All cars have problems, and if that would be the only one: who cares, especially that it can be easily cured. It may be a temporary cure, but given that I can treat my dash everytime I wash my car, I will not ever see the milky stuff on it again.

In other words, I love the car and it would not stop me from buying it. I have seen bigger problems with brand new cars. And those were problems that could not be as easily cured (even on much more expensive cars).

My

Quick Reply: dash fade