Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Response to CPO

[QUOTE=rockstar143;14036219]...I'm glad to hear of your happy ending, but I'm not sure how this story ties in with the large sum of us suffering from a defective dash.

Sorry my response was concerning comments made about CPO. I inspected my 06 dash today and yes I see possible cracks coming out around the right side airbag. Looks like a big square discoloration right now. Hoping to find 303 at the boat store tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Sutitan
Hey Guys, thought id give you an update on my dash. Im a firm believer that im in probably the top 10% of worst dashes in the country, so if anyone wants an idea of how far this cracking really goes, check it out. thumbnails are clickable incase you want to check out the cracks in a bit more detail

May be somebody's thought of this already, but I just had an idea for that dash.
Plastidip might be a good solution
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
you: gotcha!
Bruce, the problem is that the dash will continue to expand and contract...I tried a DIY to put some silicone in the cracks and it would look ok when hot, but then when cold, it would contract and open back up.

Dashmat!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I am in Texas and mine has no cracks as of right now, but there are slight "lines" around the airbag...
Just in case, where is that link for the dash claim or litigation or whatever?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

Hey Guys...I have an '05...original offer from Acura was $465+tax out of pocket to fix mine (not quite as bad as Bruce's, but 10 cracks total)...I've been fighting it, and calling/emailing corporate, and they have finally agreed to replace it no cost to me! (Never thought that would happen). My appointment is set for next monday, I will let you know how it goes. If you're trying to get yours fixed, don't give up...Acura knows this is thier issue, and it is not fair to make the owners of a luxury car, that have already paid a premium to own it foot the bill!
ducati748R (09-20-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 AM

^^^that's great to know, thanks for sharing.
So with more diligence, they would pay for it, huh...I may revisit this at some point.

The class action suit is on the previous page.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chaddfaulk
Hey Guys...I have an '05...original offer from Acura was $465+tax out of pocket to fix mine (not quite as bad as Bruce's, but 10 cracks total)...I've been fighting it, and calling/emailing corporate, and they have finally agreed to replace it no cost to me! (Never thought that would happen). My appointment is set for next monday, I will let you know how it goes. If you're trying to get yours fixed, don't give up...Acura knows this is thier issue, and it is not fair to make the owners of a luxury car, that have already paid a premium to own it foot the bill!

That's great news! So which dealer are you going to? Is there a specific person to contact or that's been helpful? Mine is starting to develop more cracks and it's embarrassing on a car with only 35k in otherwise fantastic condition that's been well maintained since new...

I would love them to replace it on their dime, but I could handle ~$465. But at $1000+ it isn't gonna happen. Thanks again for the info!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM

...if you'll pay the $500, you might have a better chance they'll do the rest as goodwill replacement. That guy above had to fight HARD and I guarantee you it probably had to get approved at the corporate level. Technically, the dealerships get paid for the work regardless...but I guarantee it's not as good in the Company's eyes if it's paid for by corporate.
ducati748R (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Just went back to the dealership to start the process to hopefully maybe get some sort of help. Id probably give in at 300$ out of pocket. At any rate, im ready for the new dash when it comes. my windshield is now tinted (80%, but it blocks a ton of UV and has a bit of heat rejection), and im all stocked up on 303. Might get a custom fit windshield cover if I change it as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Highly recommend getting a covercraft one from autobarn. I love mine...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
That's awesome. I just bought a dash cover instead of going to the dealer. Hopefully this lawsuit takes off quickly
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to contact President of Acura North America

I just started getting cracks in the dash of my 05 TL about a month ago. Typical customer service circus trying to get the corporation to take ownership of the problem as Acura really should. So far have gone from "we won't help you" which ironically came right after I gave the dealership a low survey score after they had not called me back in 3 weeks. Went back to corporate customer service & told them how poorly the dealership had handled things & they escalated it to a "case manager" who has been a pretty decent guy. He found out that I own 2 hondas & an acura now & have owned 2 hondas previous to now, so he got me the "loyal customer" deal of them paying all but $800 for the repair. I told him I really didn't think that was what it should be. He said if I had used the dealership for my service I could have gotten a better deal because that would have shown more loyalty... their logic is absolutely ironclad, huh?... I have 2 weeks to decide whether to take the deal so I contacted the lawyer about the class action suit tonight. On the phone with the case manager today, I thought to ask how I can contact the top guy at Acura North America, so here it is:

Tetsuo Iwamura
President - Acura of North America
1919 Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90502

Maybe if this info spreads around & we fill his mailbox, we can take a step toward this issue getting the attention it deserves. My letter goes out tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Just an update...picked up my car yesterday...new dash installed, $0 out of pocket...When I got the offer from the dealer, and went to corporate, then got the same offer, basically I asked for my district managers boss's email, and wrote about a 1000 word email with pictures to them, which is when they called back and said they would replace it. It can be done with a little persistance! Hope this is helpful. I'm just glad to have my car back to normal!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ducati748R
That's great news! So which dealer are you going to? Is there a specific person to contact or that's been helpful? Mine is starting to develop more cracks and it's embarrassing on a car with only 35k in otherwise fantastic condition that's been well maintained since new...

I would love them to replace it on their dime, but I could handle ~$465. But at $1000+ it isn't gonna happen. Thanks again for the info!
My dealer is Courtesy Acura in Sanford, FL. To be honest, it isn't even the dealer that makes a difference, it is all about how your district case manager wants to handle it. For me, the $465 offer was without me doing anything but bringing it in...but as i'm finding out, it is different for everyone.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 AM

...which is where it's ridiculous. I guess I could see driving up to Sanford to get it done, but I'd likely have to stay overnight and that would be pushing a couple hundred bucks in gas/hotel stay and food...so it wouldn't be a "free repair" for me at that point.

I had them offer 1/2 price right off the bat. I wasn't willing to pay that for something that shouldn't have happened given how many precautions I took to ensure it wouldn't be a probelm for me. I'll do it when it's free.

As far as LOYALTY. Maybe they should track how much money I spend there in parts...I buy all my parts from them and am at the dealership a few times a month for that. Got my tires mounted and balanced there, and have owned nothing but Honda/Acura products since I was 17 years old (with some small exceptions). I enjoy working on the car myself and shouldn't come into play when deciding how to treat your loyal following customers.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Intermediate

no doubt...I'm suprised with that kind of loyalty that they aren't doing more for you (as they should for everyone).

It should be a cut and dry thing...Acura used faulty materials, and they really should be standing by thier "luxury" product, and fixing it. Everyone that bought an Acura paid a premium, and this is definately not the quality and service that I expected from a premium brand.

In my case, I am obviously happy with the outcome, but I still view it overall as a negative experience because of how much I had to fight to get it done. Had this happened, and they apologized and fixed it immediately, I would have told everyone I know about how awesome owning an Acura is, and how great thier service is and how much they stand by thier product. Instead, the whole experience definately has a negative undertone.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Well, I'm sure it's just a numbers game.
Cost of repair to Acura $1500 x units having the issue....going to be a HUGE number. So worth losing a few here and there and then paying to fix the REAL squeaky wheels...

Unfortunately, that's how claims work.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
My brother-in-law just bought a 2005 TL w/113k miles. He agreed to pay asking price ONLY if they had the dash replaced. The dealership agreed on this (quoted $1500 parts/labor). It had the dash cover on it, but it didnt look as good as some i have seen on here (Rockstar143).
rockstar143 (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Well, I'm sure it's just a numbers game.
Cost of repair to Acura $1500 x units having the issue....going to be a HUGE number. So worth losing a few here and there and then paying to fix the REAL squeaky wheels...

Unfortunately, that's how claims work.
Who you callin' a squeaky wheel!?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM

LOL...YOU, buddy!
Who cares though, you got the fkn oil!

05_NBP, you just made me blush. Thanks man.

I may one day revisit this if we end up with a leg to stand on and Acura finally makes good on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Well guys I am going to start this whole process today. I have 04 TL Base with 120,000 ~ 130,000 miles and dash started to crack back in July this year. I bought the car with about 90,000 miles 3 years ago. I knew about this problem and kept the dash clean and hydrated with Aero 303. I buy my parts thru myacura.com (honda e store?) and pick up at local Acura of Memphis dealership and install myself. My plan is to call the Corporate customer service and start the complaint there, then write multiple letters to President Iwamura and Corporate customer service. I will visit Acura of Memphis today or this week to see what they say or will do, from another guy on AcuraZine in 2009 had a thread that does not sound promising with Acura of Memphis helping even when the guy was buying a new 2010 TSX if they fixed his TL dash, he went to nashville to buy car and I think got dash fixed there to. I am going to send letters via snail mail, email and fax. I will be using this site, facebook, twitter and atlanta channel 3 news story as references(?). Wish me luck....
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM

I wish you luck buddy...keep us posted.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Instructor

rockstar143 I(we) appreciate your write up and find of the dashmat. It does look good, I personnally have never liked dashmats until I saw yours but i am still hesitant in getting one cause i really think i may push hard enough to get free dash. If i have to go dashmat way i may pm you for some extra little tips and what not, thanks again.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM

But of course, man. I can't take credit for the idea of putting one on, but I think I was the first to modify it to make it look more "OEM". PM AWAY!

Either way, let us know...if more people have success with a free repair, I'll probably sign up too...I was somewhat hesitant because of all the additional wiring I have going on under there from my mods, but in the end, a new dash would look BEST, obviously. I'd probably have them fix my multiplex unit (since I burned out the door light circuit) while they're in there...and maybe my lumbar support.

your avatar...no engine in bay when picture taken? I thought it looked like you were launching the car, but looks like gravel and ain't no way you'll get enough traction to lift the front off the ground. I grew up working on and around fox bodies.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Yeah i dont like dealers working on my car either and that should not matter when the dash rips like it does, Acura should own up. The avatar is with out engine and trans, that was how it was sittin when i pulled up to purchase it and i thought that looked cool. still working on that too. I used to work at ford dealership as a mechanic/tech. love fox bodies.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Just saw it this morning!

I guess after 8 years it was bound to happen
Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM
6th Gear

'06 TL w/ Cracked Dash

It started with a small 2" crack on the passenger side. After it grew to strech from the windshield to the glovebox, a second crack appeared on the other side of the airbag. I plan to call the dealership here in Orlando, but I am not very optimistic. Anyone have adivce on getting this fixed for free in the Orlando area? FYI, I bought the car new from Fountain Acura in late 2006 and currently have <80k miles.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Racer

Just got my dash replaced this past weekend. I paid just a hair under 300$. I was quoted above that but spoke to acura client relations and they brought it down a bit. In preperation, I had my windsheild tinted 70%, and I bought a sun shade. Im also making a habit of spraying it with 303 every 2-4 weeks. From what ive read up, plasticizers in the dash end up evaporating over time. 303 contains plasticizers and can help restore them in the dash. Plasticizers according to wikipedia is what gives the plastic their flexability. over time, they evaporate, and the plastics become more brittle. One thing I noticed before I brought in my dash for replacement was how firm the dash felt. Sure, it is foam backed, so it was a little springy, but the edges felt sharp, and the vinyl had very little give compared to the new one.

at any rate, im going to try to extend the life of my 2nd dash as long as possible. Im hoping to get alteast 6 years out of this thing before it starts again. Ill get pictures of the new dash later this week.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 PM

That's great news, and a great deal.
I'm not sure about the 303 as I was putting it on pretty religiously but hey, who knows. Maybe the new dash is a different formula that won't fall victim to this same issue.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Racer

I think ive read somewhere that you bought your car from someone else (not original owner). If thats the case, you never know how the dash was treated/protected before it got to your hands. Also, being in SoFL definitely doesnt help. I try to look at every TL i see's dash, and i see tons of 04-06 models with cracks.

I think in hot, sunny states, we have it particularly bad. I think the cold winters add additional stress. The heat, i believe, causes the dash to "vent" more, which causes the release of the plasticizers. Then add in the damage from the damage caused by the suns rays, which causes the plastic to break down. Then you have the pure expansion and contraction from night and day. As I mentioned, in Florida, this can be brutal. We get frost warnings consistently throughout the winter at night. But during day the day, the Florida heat doesnt back down. This causes thermal based stress cycles. the constant contraction and expansion eventually causes failure, typically at the passenger airbag, where it is intended to open in crashes.

So my plan to protect my new dash is based on what I wrote above. Prevent the loss of plasticizers with the uses of 303. Prevent damage from sun rays with the tinted windshield,sunshade, and 303 (SPF 40). Prevent extreme thermal cycling by blocking out sun from heating interior (just got my car tinted, + sunshade). Will it work. I can only hope. Is my above assessment correct? Maybe, but its pure speculation, and i have no data to back any of it up.

Ill let you guys know when my dash fails again
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

So mine went from 0 cracks to 700000 cracks in a span of about a week. What's the best starting place to see about getting it fixed? Do I go to the dealer first or is there some corporate hotline I can call?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by elenaran
So mine went from 0 cracks to 700000 cracks in a span of about a week. What's the best starting place to see about getting it fixed? Do I go to the dealer first or is there some corporate hotline I can call?
Could you post some pictures? 0 to 700000, or even 0 to multiple cracks is extremely uncommon. Your dash was perfectly fine a month or two ago? If you have any pictures from earlier this year vs up to today, id be very interested to see. I know not alot of people photograph their dash, but occasionally the dash sneakers into photos.

As far as getting it repaired. Go to the dealer and tell you want to replace your dash, and that you are curious if it can be done under goodwill. They will take your name and number and call you back in about 72 hours. Being an original owner, or someone who has purchased multiple honda/acura vehicles helps. When they do call you back with an offer, you can try contact Acura Client Care to possibly improve the offer. They are very quick and responsive on their twitter. I got a call shortly after, and told them my case and what I wanted. Maybe I shot myself in the foot by saying it would be an easier pill to swallow if the cost was under 300 (my OTD cost was 298.88), but they helped, and reduced the price.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Sutitan

I think in hot, sunny states, we have it particularly bad. I think the cold winters add additional stress. The heat, i believe, causes the dash to "vent" more, which causes the release of the plasticizers. Then add in the damage from the damage caused by the suns rays, which causes the plastic to break down. Then you have the pure expansion and contraction from night and day. As I mentioned, in Florida, this can be brutal. We get frost warnings consistently throughout the winter at night. But during day the day, the Florida heat doesnt back down. This causes thermal based stress cycles. the constant contraction and expansion eventually causes failure, typically at the passenger airbag, where it is intended to open in crashes.

Ill let you guys know when my dash fails again
I like your analysis and thought process. As I posted a few months ago, I think humidity is a consideration as well - obviously something you have plenty of in the SE US and TX, where I feel like majority of the issues have occurred. We have a lot of CA posters on the board, but I don't see many of them talking about their dashes having issues. Just a thought...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM

...true, previous owner was my stepdad and he didn't likely put much on it in the first 5 years.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another one here with a nickel size crack right at the corner of center speaker. Mine is an 06
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Cruisin'

guess i will bring it back again... started with a 1" crack behind the center speaker, heard some cracking noises this morning on the way to work... and what the f**k, it is now all the way to the windshield. I am the 3rd owner, just purchased the car about 2 months ago and the TL currently has 58k miles, oh, and it is a 05. I live on the east coast, closest Acura dealer is in Alexandria, VA...has anyone had any luck around this area with getting their dash fixed?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I brought it to my dealer when I got another small service done and they said they have never seen anything like that before
Old 12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
HASTA LA VICTORIA'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justblazin
guess i will bring it back again... started with a 1" crack behind the center speaker, heard some cracking noises this morning on the way to work... and what the f**k, it is now all the way to the windshield. I am the 3rd owner, just purchased the car about 2 months ago and the TL currently has 58k miles, oh, and it is a 05. I live on the east coast, closest Acura dealer is in Alexandria, VA...has anyone had any luck around this area with getting their dash fixed?
Psh.. Im a third owner too on my 04 TL. My dash has more cracks than a dried lake floor. smh.. I havent even bothered to take it to Acura Stealership since Im the third owner.. I wonder if they would do anything or just going to waste my time.. Good Luck
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well guys I am getting mine done.. Acura Corp is covering most I just have to pay $280. Also addition to that I am getting all the backlit bulbs from the dash including the heated seat switches ones on the console replaced. Of course that will be additional cost on 1/2 hour labor and bulbs. I figure I get all this done since they have to take apart almost everything. I had VSA and one of the heated switch bulbs out.

Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL