cracked dash!! need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cracked dash!! need help

i have an 05' GPS w/ 70k miles on it. my dash cracked right over the passenger airbag like most ive seen here on previous posts. The problem is that i took the vehicle to acura and they are only covering 50% leaving me with a difference of $859. the thing that upsets me is that acura is not being fair to all customers with the same problem. for instance the service manager explained that if i was the first owner of the vehicle i could of qualified from 70-85% coverage. but since im the third owner i only get 50%. which is good if i was the only person with this problem, but im not. acura knows that this is a factory defect and they dont want to consider it a recall bc it costs them alot of money. instead they deal with it as it happens to customers. now the way they save money is by making us pay partial payment of what it costs...and they get away with it even more bc ppl dont know, and they will just pay bc they think they are getting a good deal. i saw a post on here where a dealer replaced the dash for free. im really short on money now, can anyone suggest what i can do? it would help alot! thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
9th Gear

i called customer support from acura and explained my situation, and it seemed like they were going to be helpful andhelp me out. instead they transferred me to a lady who was a complete asshole and said that 50% is a great deal and that they will stand behind their decision...who can i ask for help regarding this..and why is it that if they change the dash for free for some that they can do the same for me?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by djmera
i called customer support from acura and explained my situation, and it seemed like they were going to be helpful andhelp me out. instead they transferred me to a lady who was a complete asshole and said that 50% is a great deal and that they will stand behind their decision...who can i ask for help regarding this..and why is it that if they change the dash for free for some that they can do the same for me?
Call back and tell them look, you worked hard to buy a great product and what you got was a car with a dashboard that cracked quickly. As well say look, I've had hondas before and you guys have treated me well, why are you giving me the turn around after being loyal? I just want things made right.

Be calm and cool and understanding, don't be forceful or try to be a smart guy on the phone. As well mention that it's over the airbag and that you are afraid of what may happen in an accident.

As far as your dealer goes, some dealers actually pay out of pocket for the repair if you've been a loyal customer. I spoke to a dealer's service manager about this issue and this was his words:

" If you've come to us for normal maintenance and we've seen that you haven't abused the car, we'll go out of our way to make things right. If you come to us out of the blue only after 1 oil change or something demanding a new dash, naturally we won't treat you like a customer who's come to us time and time again with a smile.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
9th Gear

ill give it a try again..but lets say they stand behind their decision and tell me thats the best they can do, can i go to small claims court and open a case against them? is there a possibility since there are so many cases of dashboards cracking on 04-06 TL's, that i might have a chance?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 04' TL.. My dashed started cracking over the airbag last year, since then, it has cracked in 2 other places. I took it in to Acura and I have to pay 30% of the cost while they cover 70%. I guess its different everywhere. WISH THEY WOULD JUST DO A RECALL..its THEIR FAULTS ANYWAY! Its a DEFECT! It also seems very unsafe to me, considering its cracked right where the airbag would deploy from. I am thinking of having it fixed and trading in for an Infiniti G35.. pissed OFF AT ACURA right now!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dash* ... Sorry for typos, I am at work and had to type fast lol
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel<3herTL
I have a 04' TL.. My dashed started cracking over the airbag last year, since then, it has cracked in 2 other places. I took it in to Acura and I have to pay 30% of the cost while they cover 70%. I guess its different everywhere. WISH THEY WOULD JUST DO A RECALL..its THEIR FAULTS ANYWAY! Its a DEFECT! It also seems very unsafe to me, considering its cracked right where the airbag would deploy from. I am thinking of having it fixed and trading in for an Infiniti G35.. pissed OFF AT ACURA right now!
I know your mad....but thats a down grade in interiors....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel<3herTL
I am thinking of having it fixed and trading in for an Infiniti G35.. pissed OFF AT ACURA right now!
Better be careful as the G35 has dash problems also.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
The day my dash cracks is the day I trade the car in. BEST of luck OP.