Coolant leak and other minor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coolant leak and other minor problem

Hello to all,

I was on a school trip the early part of the week and came home to find coolant on the garage floor. My question is what are common known sources of a problem like this? At first I thought it could be my water pump, but I just had the water pump replaced in November. Also, I wondered if it could simply be a hose, but would the hoses not be replaced when doing the water pump with the timing belt and such? The car has around a 108,000, and it is an 07 KBP Type-S.

Now the other problem/question. While I was out of town, I had my windows re tinted. When I went to start the car the battery was completely dead, but started right up when I jumped it off. I noticed that it was requesting my NAV password, so this is indication that the battery was unplugged. So, number one, why in the world would my battery be unplugged to change the tint? Could it being unplugged have anything to do with it being dead when I tried to start it? Lastly, why was I asked for the NAV code and not both Radio and NAV? I know before I have had to do both codes before, but what circumstance means that only the NAV code is needed?

I know these two topics are unrelated, but I did not feel it was necessary to create two separate threads. I appreciate any help you can provide me with!

P.S. I am attaching a photo of the the coolant on the floor. It was around the middle left side of the engine. Probably 10 inches or so away from the front left tire.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
As for the codes, sometimes when I disconnect batter to reset the ECU, it only asks me for 1 of the codes. This seems to be normal. The coolant can be a hairline crack you don't see, start the car and look for it actually leaking. Look at the overflow tank, overflow tank cap, the actual radiator cap, the little bleed valve at the bottom of the radiator may be loose. That is enough to visibly see a leak happening.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
If the battery is low on charge it can starve the electrical system of power. Trying to start the car probably gave enough battery to the radio but not the nav hence needing to re-enter the codes. I'd honestly look into changing out the battery!

The coolant leak could be from a number of places. You can try looking under the car at the radiator and such. I'd fill the coolant in the mean time just to make sure that it doesn't run low and cause other issues!

Coolant hoses aren't replaced during the 105K service most of the time.