Confused about Trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Confused about Trans fluid change

I just bough t 05 TL and it has 63k miles on it. I have had amsoil in my accord which was just a drain and fill and that made a huge difference in the way my accord shifted. I want to do the same for my TL but there is too much difference in opinion on 3x3 or just drain and fill. Can some one explain what would be the best way to go for my TL. I don’t know when it was changed last. i checked it and its not brown but its not really red like new fluid either. Also can i just jack up the car on one side loosen the bolt and drop the car to make it level? I don’t understand how you can use the jack stand to level the car. There is enough space under the car for my drain pan. Please help... i really would like to do it myself rather than taking it to a dealer to charge me 90 bucks for a drain and fill. Also Amsoil users did it make the shifts smoother? Anyone had any issues with using Amsoil synthetic fluid?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Regarding the 3x3 or 1x3 - In my opinion, money is the deciding factor. If you have the money to buy 9 quarts to do the 3x3, then this is a complete flush for that immediate satisfacation.

Another method is to do a 1x3 now, and a 1x3 during the next two *engine* oil change. The advantage here is that you can purchase the 9 quarts of ATF over the next approx 12 months.

I do a 1x3 ATF everytime I do an *engine* oil change. I am under the car already. I don't mind spending the extra dollars.

Regarding jacking up the car. I raise the car to remove the drain plug and then lower the car back down to the ground to allow the car to sit level. My drain pan, like yours, has enough clearance with the car lowered. After the drain finishes, I jack the car up again to replace the drain plug.

PLEASE USE JACK STANDS. I know that you said that it appears safe to reach under the car to reach the drain plug. But, please think about your mom, wife, children.... don't do that to them. It is not worth the risk. Please consider going to Sears to purchase some jack stands... they don't really cost much. But, *If you must* proceed, please place something very solid under the car before you get under it (or even close to it). Just make sure that what ever it is can support the car slamming down on it (lumber, tree trunck......*not* brick or stone because it will shatter upon impact).
Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for your help. I will get a jack stand to make sure the car doesnt fall off the jack while i am under it.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need two! It's OK, though, they only sell them in pairs.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
3X3 to get 80% of the fluid out. I would do this if you don't know the maintenance history.

I did a 1X3 because I changed the trans fluid every engine oil change with the stock fluid.

How often you change the fluid would determine whether you do a 1X3 or 3X3.

The other factor would be switching brands of fluid. I would do a 3X3 in that case.

I've run Amsoil ATD (not recommended for the TL by Amsoil) for a long time now. No problems at all and 50,000 miles is an easy OCI for it.