Combination switch problem? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Combination switch problem? Help!

Looking for some insight on a problem we are having with my friends Acura. It's on a 2005 Acura TL.Mostly stock.No funky wiring or accessories have been installed.Stock lighting,etc.
Symptoms:
1)Left turn signal blinks normal (4-5 Flashes), then blinks fast(like a bulb is burnt out), then stops flashing all together, but stays on DIM! at this point,both front+rear bulbs are on very dimly, and the indicator on instrument cluster is stuck on,also dim.
2)If headlights are switched on while turn signal indicator is on,L headlamp will shut off/flicker. and the R/Headlamp will toggle between Hi/Lo beam.
3)Hazard switch does not function while this issue is ongoing.But,once it "clears out" meaning that the dim indicator goes away, as if it all goes back to normal. The hazards will work properly.
4) Happened once: hazard switch turned on, and parking lights flashed in unison with hazard lights(both front parking+led tails)

My hypothesis: Bad Combination Switch/Turn signal switch assy.?
Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
MMkay.

WELL THEN. LOL

I'll look deeper into it and update back with a solution. Just in case it ever happens to anyone else.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lol sounds like added resistance has been added to certain circuits. these cool led lights are great and all, but ive seen my fair share of ghost problems...

tis why i prefer my stuff all stock. unless I know what I'm doing.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Project_CLean
Mostly stock.
What isn't stock? I've seen and passed on too many "Mostly rust-free" Chevelles to trust that word.

My first guess is that the flasher switch is toast. Don't know where it is on a TL. Also - you ought'a give a thread more than a couple hours for responses.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM
MMkay.

thanks for the thoughts.
eg5: No leds were added at all, again the car is pretty much stock and hasn't been messed with other than an Aftermarket CAI and painted wheels.Good idea though.
roof2006: The flasher being a problem wouldn't be a correct assumption with the rest of the symptoms I provided. Something like non working flashers or Hazard switch, or erratic flashing without any burned bulbs would cause me to think so.

For anyone that ever has this problem:
1)Unplug the battery.Let the electronics discharge overnight,specifically the MICU in these cars. This is the "brain" that controls most of the major electronic components in the TL.
*Touching both terminals together without the battery attached will drain the juice out of the electronic components faster*
2)The next step is something I did because of the problems we were having, my assumption was there was something wrong with the combination switch. So, I removed the upper and lower column covers. And unplugged the combination switch from the wiper switch, cleaned off the terminals and plugged it back in.
3)After buttoning everything back up, the problem persisted. So I decided it had to be a wiring/ground issue. I looked over the wiring under the fender liners to make sure nothing was torn. Then finally Removed the Front bumper Cover.
4) Surprise surprise, on this particular CAI, the hold down bracket for the CAI down near the end of the tube is actually bolted up to the grounding bracket for the front lighting.And the bracket had actually vibrated off, causing a Loose and much corroded connection to the frame.
5) Unplugged the battery again, unbolted the ground strap and bracket,scuffed the contact patch, and cleaned the junction with a toothbrush and CRC cleaner. Bolted everything back up.

VOILA! everything is back to normal.
So for anyone that incurs a problem with lighting or something similar to what happened above, definitely look into your grounds.

(FYI: The combination switch runs off the Wiper switch. It is in fact the Wiper Switch that has the control module for the combination switch.)

Last edited by Project_CLean; 04-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Project_CLean:
Armstrei (11-05-2013), jo-nathanpham (06-07-2014)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Good to know... Thx for the info!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
This EXACT thing is happening to me! Installed Inspire fogs and also decided to remove the resonator from the stock intake... Turn signal and lights decided to go on the fritz shortly after, went away, and came back just today.

Going to check this area out first, thanks so much!