Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coins shoved in radio

04 TL
Non-navigation
140k miles

Bought this car 2 years ago. Shortly after buying it, I would experience the radio going out when I would hit bumps. (The noise sounded like a speaker being unplugged, kinda like a thump). One day I went over some train tracks and my radio never turned on again. Radio display stopped working too. Tried changing the fuse and it would blow. I noticed there is a dime or quarter lodged inside the casette deck. Is that a likely root of the problem? Start taking the radio out?

(Possibly related)
Months ago my headlights started turning on intermittently. One would come on, the other wouldn't. I'd turn them on and off again, and the opposite one would be on.
Even more recently, my tail lights stopped working. And the corner/marker lights no longer work. Along with my key fob which stopped working at the same time I noticed my tail lights weren't on, etc. I'm hoping these issues aren't related in some way. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Did you check ANY thing since you posted about the issue 1.5 years ago? https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-radio-965223/
Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM
6th Gear

Same thing happened to me with my 06 TL. My husband just removed the radio and shook them out. Poof. Done.
The following users liked this post:
glennjr15 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 04:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ColorfulAries
Same thing happened to me with my 06 TL. My husband just removed the radio and shook them out. Poof. Done.
UPDATE:
Pulled all the fuses on the panel and under the hood. Checked them and made sure they were in the correct places. Removed the radio which was a real fun time. Kept shaking out the radio, couldn't get some of the coins out. Took the back of the stereo apart and got the rest. Connected the radio back up, plugged the battery back in and nothing. No display on the radio whatsoever. Disconnected the battery again for a while, nothing. The fuse is good. The tail lights/fog lights are now working again. Still having trouble with the HID's (only one will turn one and it doesn't always come on).
Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 PM
10th Gear

Having issues troubleshooting the wiring for the audio. The Haynes manual schematic doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The climate controls are fine. But the radio shows no display and doesn't show any indication of turning on. Sorry if I'm not making sense, but there's a white wire that I think is supposed to stay hot and it isn't getting power. The Haynes schematic doesn't really specify what exactly it's for.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts

The A10 white wire that comes from under-dash fuse #5? It supplies power so the radio doesn't lose presets/memory/doesn't require code at startup. This wire also supplies power to the amplifier.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by peter6

The A10 white wire that comes from under-dash fuse #5? It supplies power so the radio doesn't lose presets/memory/doesn't require code at startup. This wire also supplies power to the amplifier.
I believe that's the one. I'll check it out further today. Thank you for the pictures, I appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM
10th Gear

This looks a little suspect to me, being there's that much rust above the amp.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
Any other indication this may be a flood car? I'd be pulling off more interior panels, looking at the seat rails, and pulling back the carpet to see if anymore signs that it is.

A little bit of surface rust here and there may be normal, especially in higher humidity areas. But...gobs of rust in multiple places not going to be a good sign and could possibly explain some of the other electrical oddities you are reporting.