Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^better than the 1000 you were about to drop!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
just got my parts in...I noticed the flywheel has a HONDA stamp while my clutch set is made by LUK? I got them off acuraoemparts.com...isnt luk aftermarket?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomasv
just got my parts in...I noticed the flywheel has a HONDA stamp while my clutch set is made by LUK? I got them off acuraoemparts.com...isnt luk aftermarket?
LUK is the OEM supplier to Honda/Acura on the V6 manual; so no it is not aftermarket per sa; just they happen to manufacture it for honda (normally the 4 cylinders are Exedy/Daiken though as far as the brand)

btw my Clutchmaster's clutch is just a Sachs clutch
i would say there are like 3 main suppliers of clutches in the world really (who actually manufacture them (Daiken=Asia ;LUK=N.A.; Sachs=Europe)
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all...just got a new to me 2008 TL Type S. I absolutely love the car and have had a few of the issues noted here. I will be taking it in to have the transmission fixed as it is doing the dreaded "third gear popput"

I have noticed during downshifting, there is a bit of a shudder as the clutch is re-engaged. Talking to one of the techs...he mentioned my clutch is probably heading south and he also said it is not uncommon for Type-S clutches to give up the ghost at around 100,000km. The car currently has 57,000km and since I bought it used I have no idea how the previous driver was on the clutch.

My question is since the car is going in to have some tranny work to fix the third gear issue...would it make sense to replace the clutch as the same time?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by CrownTypeS
Hello all...just got a new to me 2008 TL Type S. I absolutely love the car and have had a few of the issues noted here. I will be taking it in to have the transmission fixed as it is doing the dreaded "third gear popput"

I have noticed during downshifting, there is a bit of a shudder as the clutch is re-engaged. Talking to one of the techs...he mentioned my clutch is probably heading south and he also said it is not uncommon for Type-S clutches to give up the ghost at around 100,000km. The car currently has 57,000km and since I bought it used I have no idea how the previous driver was on the clutch.

My question is since the car is going in to have some tranny work to fix the third gear issue...would it make sense to replace the clutch as the same time?
First, if you're getting some shuttering form the clutch on downshifts, you're probably not downshifting correctly. If this is what you're doing, you need to correct your procedure:
  • Remove foot from throttle.
  • Depress clutch pedal.
  • Shift into lower gear.
  • Slowly release clutch pedal.

The above method of downshifting causes significant wear on the pressure-creating components. This is not the proper way to downshift.

As to your question about replacing the clutch since they are going to be removing your transmission for the TSB, yes I would do this since like you said, you don't really know how the car was operated by its previous owner. May as well have it done now and then you will be starting off fresh.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by TLJAY
Changed my clutch at 101,000 now have 132k and throwout bearing is squeaking will say my guy didnt get it done right the first time.
That's why I'd only have this kind of work done at the stealership or a Honda/Acura specialty shop and ONLY using OEM parts. You want a mechanic with extensive experience at doing this kind of work on Honda & Acura vehicles. Because if something goes wrong ..................

When I had my timing belt / water pump job done a few months ago, the Honda mechanic who did the work said "When You've Done Over a Hundred Of These As I Have, You Know The Sequence and Properties of Every Last Part, Bolt, and Screw, Involved". Needless to say, he completed the job in about 4 hours and there's been no problems since.

Last edited by DMZ; 02-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^ I think the opposite. No one will care more about doing it right than yourself.

I've had dealerships do work that almost always ended up either with the same problem recurring or come back worse than it was to begin with. Unless it's something to support the warranty while the car is new (ie regular maintenance stuff), I stay away.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by DMZ
That's why I'd only have this kind of work done at the stealership or a Honda/Acura specialty shop and ONLY using OEM parts. You want a mechanic with extensive experience at doing this kind of work on Honda & Acura vehicles. Because if something goes wrong ..................

When I had my timing belt / water pump job done a few months ago, the Honda mechanic who did the work said "When You've Done Over a Hundred Of These As I Have, You Know The Sequence and Properties of Every Last Part, Bolt, and Screw, Involved". Needless to say, he completed the job in about 4 hours and there's been no problems since.

or you get the one, where they learn all the little shortcuts, and do not follow the procedure by the book instead, because they think they know the procedure too well
Old 02-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards getting the clutch replaced as it just seems to make more sense to get it done at the same time as the transmission work is being completed.

As far as my technique goes while downshifting...I try to rev match as much as possible while downshifting, but I try not to use engine braking unless I am going down a major grade...I use the brakes to slow the car down...not my tranny. The shudder I felt is something I have never experienced in the 25+years of driving manual transmissions. I traded in a 2001 Honda Accord 4cyl w/5 speed manual on this car and while I understand there are some major differences between the cars...the Accord's tranny and shift engagement was always butter smooth.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards getting the clutch replaced as it just seems to make more sense to get it done at the same time as the transmission work is being completed.

As far as my technique goes while downshifting...I try to rev match as much as possible while downshifting, but I try not to use engine braking unless I am going down a major grade...I use the brakes to slow the car down...not my tranny. The shudder I felt is something I have never experienced in the 25+years of driving manual transmissions. I traded in a 2001 Honda Accord 4cyl w/5 speed manual on this car and while I understand there are some major differences between the cars...the Accord's tranny and shift engagement was always butter smooth.
If this is happening on a consistent basis, you probably do need a new clutch. Make sure the flywheel is inspected as well and consider having a new one of those installed, too. And don't forget the pilot and release bearings.

Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Racer

Got my new clutch put in and have about 300 miles on it... All seems ok...

Question: How would you know if your pressure plate was permanently damaged by improper installation?

My car seems jerky when I shift and my dad even made a comment about it.

Perhaps I am not shifting my car correctly... I see a post up above about how not to downshift...can anyone reply with the correct procedure for up and down shifting in the Acura TL?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
B A N N E D

Question: How would you know if your pressure plate was permanently damaged by improper installation?

Perhaps I am not shifting my car correctly..
. I see a post up above about how not to downshift...can anyone reply with the correct procedure for up and down shifting in the Acura TL?
sometimes that can be especially getting use to the new clutch; actually grabbing instead of just slipping some instead

btw did they replace the flywheel also?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps I am not shifting my car correctly... I see a post up above about how not to downshift...can anyone reply with the correct procedure for up and down shifting in the Acura TL?
"Question: How would you know if your pressure plate was permanently damaged by improper installation?"

This is pretty unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. You would experience shuttering (probably a lot of it), possibly slippage, and perhaps some noise.

"My car seems jerky when I shift and my dad even made a comment about it."

You've got new contact surfaces that need to be "married". The reasons why people have had problems and have even complained on this site about their difficulty with the TL clutch are several. The pedal has a relatively short travel and an even shorter takeup than similar cars (takeup is the distance the pedal travels from the point of initial engagement to full engagement). Couple this with the fact that initial engagement is most always set to occur pretty close to a fully depressed pedal; in other words, within two inches from the stop pad on the firewall. And lastly, the amount of takeup required from the point of initial engagement to the point where enough pressure is being exerted to move the car is short. This makes the clutch feel "touchy" and can easily lead to jerking, bucking, and stalling or a tendency to over-rev the engine from a stop. This will tend to be magnified with a new clutch assembly.

"Perhaps I am not shifting my car correctly... I see a post up above about how not to downshift...can anyone reply with the correct procedure for up and down shifting in the Acura TL?"

The correct way to upshift for normal driving is to let the transmission be the teacher. When learning, watch your tach so you'll get a feel for the correct RPM range to let the clutch out in the chosen higher gear. Don't quick shift (this increases synchronizer wear) and avoid skip shifting unless you know what you're doing. You'll know when you are doing it right because the transition will be so smooth, you won't even notice it and the shift into the higher gear will feel almost as though the transmission is pulling your shifter for you a little.

We've gone over downshifting so much and I get some heat from folks on this site because I advocate double clutching when doing this. In case you don't know the difference between rev-matching and double clutching, here's a quick definition.

Rev-matching is a technique where engine speed is increased during the shift in order to have the flywheel and pressure plate as near to the speed of the friction disk when the operator engages the clutch upon shift completion. This significantly reduces clutch wear, but does nothing to reduce synchronizer wear.

Double clutching is a technique that does the same thing as rev-matching but takes that technique a step further because the clutch components are engaged during the shift when the throttle is "blipped" in order to force the flywheel and pressure plate speed to match the transmission input shaft speed when the shift is completed. This not only significantly reduces clutch wear, but reduces synchronizer wear as well.

People will tell you that you don't need to do this because our transmissions are fully synchronized and they'd be right. However, synchronized manual transmissions have been around since 1929 (Cadillac) so they are not exactly new on the scene. Also, we all know about the problems Honda/Acura has been having with their third gear issue, so many in fact that they issued a TSB several years ago. My '04 manual with nearly 82,000 miles, has never had one hint of any of the problems reported on this site. No grinding, no popping out of gear, no difficulty in completing shifts.... not one problem whatsoever. So I ask you, who is right about this?

If you want to try a little experiment to feel the difference between a "normal" versus a double clutched downshift, do this. Get going and into second gear, then slow down to perhaps 5 MPH like you are going to downshift into first because of railroad tracks or perhaps a rough spot in the road. Now depress the clutch and shift into first gear (at 5 MPH). You'll notice a fair amount of resistance before the shifter goes into first gear. That's the synchronizers trying to match shaft speeds. There is wear going on when you do this. Now do this again but this time, do it with a double clutched downshift. If you do this correctly, there will be no resistance and your shifter will slip into first gear as though the car was stationary.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^great as always....I always enjoy learning from you.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Racer

Yea, thanks southern...that helped.

also, the flywheel was also replaced freism.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

People will tell you that you don't need to do this because our transmissions are fully synchronized and they'd be right.... No grinding, no popping out of gear, no difficulty in completing shifts.... not one problem whatsoever. So I ask you, who is right about this?
This. I've always made it a habit to double clutch when downshifting (but I dont downshift too often unless i'm coming up on moving traffic. Coming to a stop I usually stay in whichever gear until RPMs are just about idle).

Heel and toe double clutching is pretty interesting footwork.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ez12a
This. I've always made it a habit to double clutch when downshifting (but I dont downshift too often unless i'm coming up on moving traffic. Coming to a stop I usually stay in whichever gear until RPMs are just about idle).

Heel and toe double clutching is pretty interesting footwork.
I, also, don't always downshift. It really depends upon the situation at hand. But I virtually always double clutch my downshifts.

Now heel-and-toeing... that's a skill I never spent time to master. Good for those who have.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Just an update on the issues I have been having with my six speed manual transmission in my 2008 TL-S. I originally took the car into the dealership where I bought it to have the TSB performed for the infamous "third gear issue". I was told the after the TSB service was performed the car would not shift into reverse and that the reverse synchro was shot and needed to be replaced. Fast forward to today and I was notified that even after replacing the reverse gear synchro the car will still not shift into reverse. The dealership has had many techs look this over and I am at a loss as to what to do next. I havent even owned it for a month and it has spent 3/4's of that time sitting in their shop. I am loosing patience with this as what seemed like a relatively easy fix has blossomed into a nightmare. I have never experienced issues of this kind...especially with a high Japanese manufacturer such as Acura. I am seriously considering telling them to keep the dam car and give me my Accord back...so much for CPO...not even worth the paper it was written on for sure. I am so frustrated as they cannot even give me an answer as to what went wrong...all I know is that the car shifted just fine into reverse when I brought it in and now reverse has decided to go on a vacation. They are currently dismantling the transmission for the third time to see if they can find out why. What I am worried about is the long term longevity of the car....frustrated....any suggestions?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Just an update on the issues I have been having with my six speed manual transmission in my 2008 TL-S. I originally took the car into the dealership where I bought it to have the TSB performed for the infamous "third gear issue". I was told the after the TSB service was performed the car would not shift into reverse and that the reverse synchro was shot and needed to be replaced. Fast forward to today and I was notified that even after replacing the reverse gear synchro the car will still not shift into reverse. The dealership has had many techs look this over and I am at a loss as to what to do next. I havent even owned it for a month and it has spent 3/4's of that time sitting in their shop. I am loosing patience with this as what seemed like a relatively easy fix has blossomed into a nightmare. I have never experienced issues of this kind...especially with a high Japanese manufacturer such as Acura. I am seriously considering telling them to keep the dam car and give me my Accord back...so much for CPO...not even worth the paper it was written on for sure. I am so frustrated as they cannot even give me an answer as to what went wrong...all I know is that the car shifted just fine into reverse when I brought it in and now reverse has decided to go on a vacation. They are currently dismantling the transmission for the third time to see if they can find out why. What I am worried about is the long term longevity of the car....frustrated....any suggestions?
This is why I went with a fluid change. Nothing against the techs but I just don't trust anyone unless I know them personally. I can see maybe messing up once but after that, it's incompetence.

Demand a new replacement tranny.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Some other folks on this site have reported the same problem with reverse after having the TSB performed. Really a sad state of affairs. I do hope they get this taken care of to your satisfaction.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks to all who have responded.

The reason I took it to the dealer was the fact that the car is still under full warranty and I thought...I guess somewhat naively...that would be the best option. I had read through the forums regarding issues the 3rd gen TL has had and honestly there was nothing other than the 3rd gear issue so I knew going into the purchase that my car most likely would exhibit the same behavior as the majority of other forum members. I thought it would be a relatively easy fix. I am regretting not trying the fluid as recommended by so many people, but I wasnt convinced that the fluid could actually cure a mechanical issue.

So I am left with my TL-S sitting in a shop, unable to engage reverse. I basically told the manager of the dealership how unhappy I was with the situation and left them with three options. First was to fix the dam car PROPERLY. Second was to order me a brand new not rebuilt transmission. Third was to get ready to buy this dam car back from me. I am about to release the hounds on em. Dont get me wrong...they are being more than accomodating and I am not paying a dime for any of this but I am tired of not being able to drive my sweet machine.

Overall this has been a very stressful experience as I was just starting to get used to the car and I fell in absolute love with it...it really is a great machine. I will find out more tomorrow morning...wish me luck.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Do you at least have a loaner while they hold your ride hostage?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Do you at least have a loaner while they hold your ride hostage?

Yes....they gave me a 2010 CSX which I drove the bag off of until today when I finally got my car back.

I picked up the car today after having the third gear issue repaired and a new clutch as well. The car is an absolute dream now. The shift feel is much improved and no issues engaging 3rd gear or reverse. I am happy with the job done even though I had some issues with reverse gear not engaging after the dealership first took the tranny apart but that has since been fixed. Apparently the issue with reverse gear had to do with installing the reverse syncho improperly. It is tapered on one end and if it is installed backwards, reverse will not engage. I recommend anyone who has had issues with reverse after performing the "3rd Gear TSB" to make absolutely sure the reverse syncho is installed correctly.

It feels like a brand new car.

Gotta go...there is a road that needs to be driven

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When they change the clutch, do they need to drain the tranny, or just drop the tranny?

I need to know if I should be providing new GM Synchromesh for the service?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
信是寶

West Chester Acura dealer said around $2k for the job, I have 132k miles on her and clutch is still working fine.

On a side note, I stopped downshifting at around 50k, since it is cheaper and a diy for brakes/rotors, unlike the clutch job.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
West Chester Acura dealer said around $2k for the job, I have 132k miles on her and clutch is still working fine.

On a side note, I stopped downshifting at around 50k, since it is cheaper and a diy for brakes/rotors, unlike the clutch job.
When one downshifts correctly, this is not necessary. In fact, when done correctly, downshifting produces significantly less clutch wear (virtually none, actually) than moving from a dead stop.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
he said he had a fleet vehicle. most ppl dont know how to drive properly. they probably FUCKED that shit up!

mine went out early as well. i replaced mine at 35,000 on 11/05/2010.
probably a combination of previous owner, and test drivers and myself learning how to drive this car....Ive been driving manuals for at least 5 years now...but this car is way different in terms of clutch feel.
im used to american clutches, i did not understand the concept of why this clutch grabbed so low.
Uhm idk what you are talking about grabbing low.... my clutch I bearly press to shift. I only press it in when starting the car besides that is a light press and your golden. What it sounds like is that you drive how a lot of people do hold the clutch till the car starts going to about 10 mph
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Advanced

You guys keep paying for new flywheels. Are you not able to resurface the flywheel? I've rarely seen a flywheel that needed to be replaced on the first clutch replacement.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Damian0216
Uhm idk what you are talking about grabbing low.... my clutch I bearly press to shift. I only press it in when starting the car besides that is a light press and your golden. What it sounds like is that you drive how a lot of people do hold the clutch till the car starts going to about 10 mph
It is normal for the TL's clutch to begin initial engagement close to the stop pad on the firewall (within 2" is not abnormal). It's the way the system was designed.

As for the rest of your post, I don't understand what you are trying to convey.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
You guys keep paying for new flywheels. Are you not able to resurface the flywheel? I've rarely seen a flywheel that needed to be replaced on the first clutch replacement.
Our flywheels are dual mass units. If I am not mistaken, I don't think resurfacing is recommended but I am open to correction with this.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch Is Slipping

I have a 2004 TL 6speed MT. Lately I've noticed that the transmission has been slipping at low rpms My TL has 157,000 miles on it. I bought it pre- owned with 30,000 miles. The clutch has never been replaced. Question is should i be expecting to change the flywheel as well. I change the MT transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Ive noticed before that I have depressed the clutch and the car didn't want to go in to gear is that air? should I bleed the line first or just look to spend this money. I have no lost of power though, the only thing is when I accelerate just little slips when i depress the gas at times.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jamel Laval
I have a 2004 TL 6speed MT. Lately I've noticed that the transmission has been slipping at low rpms My TL has 157,000 miles on it. I bought it pre- owned with 30,000 miles. The clutch has never been replaced. Question is should i be expecting to change the flywheel as well. I change the MT transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Ive noticed before that I have depressed the clutch and the car didn't want to go in to gear is that air? should I bleed the line first or just look to spend this money. I have no lost of power though, the only thing is when I accelerate just little slips when i depress the gas at times.
Well first off, manual transmissions do slip. They're either in gear or not so you have 100% power delivery to the drive wheels or you don't. A slipping clutch is very simple to diagnose. You should know immediately if it is slipping. A simple test is to find a hill where you can accelerate up to, say, 35 MPH in third gear then go full throttle while climbing the hill. If engine speed suddenly increases out of sync with wheel speed with the clutch fully engaged, the clutch is slipping.

If you are having trouble getting the transmission into gear, then yes you might have low levels of fluid or a failing master cylinder.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Oops, I meant "Well first off, manual transmissions do not slip" not "Well first off, manual transmissions do slip". A typo slip on my part.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
"Question: How would you know if your pressure plate was permanently damaged by improper installation?"

This is pretty unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. You would experience shuttering (probably a lot of it), possibly slippage, and perhaps some noise.

"My car seems jerky when I shift and my dad even made a comment about it."

You've got new contact surfaces that need to be "married". The reasons why people have had problems and have even complained on this site about their difficulty with the TL clutch are several. The pedal has a relatively short travel and an even shorter takeup than similar cars (takeup is the distance the pedal travels from the point of initial engagement to full engagement). Couple this with the fact that initial engagement is most always set to occur pretty close to a fully depressed pedal; in other words, within two inches from the stop pad on the firewall. And lastly, the amount of takeup required from the point of initial engagement to the point where enough pressure is being exerted to move the car is short. This makes the clutch feel "touchy" and can easily lead to jerking, bucking, and stalling or a tendency to over-rev the engine from a stop. This will tend to be magnified with a new clutch assembly.

"Perhaps I am not shifting my car correctly... I see a post up above about how not to downshift...can anyone reply with the correct procedure for up and down shifting in the Acura TL?"

The correct way to upshift for normal driving is to let the transmission be the teacher. When learning, watch your tach so you'll get a feel for the correct RPM range to let the clutch out in the chosen higher gear. Don't quick shift (this increases synchronizer wear) and avoid skip shifting unless you know what you're doing. You'll know when you are doing it right because the transition will be so smooth, you won't even notice it and the shift into the higher gear will feel almost as though the transmission is pulling your shifter for you a little.

We've gone over downshifting so much and I get some heat from folks on this site because I advocate double clutching when doing this. In case you don't know the difference between rev-matching and double clutching, here's a quick definition.

Rev-matching is a technique where engine speed is increased during the shift in order to have the flywheel and pressure plate as near to the speed of the friction disk when the operator engages the clutch upon shift completion. This significantly reduces clutch wear, but does nothing to reduce synchronizer wear.

Double clutching is a technique that does the same thing as rev-matching but takes that technique a step further because the clutch components are engaged during the shift when the throttle is "blipped" in order to force the flywheel and pressure plate speed to match the transmission input shaft speed when the shift is completed. This not only significantly reduces clutch wear, but reduces synchronizer wear as well.

People will tell you that you don't need to do this because our transmissions are fully synchronized and they'd be right. However, synchronized manual transmissions have been around since 1929 (Cadillac) so they are not exactly new on the scene. Also, we all know about the problems Honda/Acura has been having with their third gear issue, so many in fact that they issued a TSB several years ago. My '04 manual with nearly 82,000 miles, has never had one hint of any of the problems reported on this site. No grinding, no popping out of gear, no difficulty in completing shifts.... not one problem whatsoever. So I ask you, who is right about this?

If you want to try a little experiment to feel the difference between a "normal" versus a double clutched downshift, do this. Get going and into second gear, then slow down to perhaps 5 MPH like you are going to downshift into first because of railroad tracks or perhaps a rough spot in the road. Now depress the clutch and shift into first gear (at 5 MPH). You'll notice a fair amount of resistance before the shifter goes into first gear. That's the synchronizers trying to match shaft speeds. There is wear going on when you do this. Now do this again but this time, do it with a double clutched downshift. If you do this correctly, there will be no resistance and your shifter will slip into first gear as though the car was stationary.
I know this is old and you'll probably never see this, but thank you. This explaination was brilliant and I have felt this, noticed the difference, and wondered.... You told me. Perfect. Thank you. All your other posts in this thread, I couldn't agree more. Thank you.

I'm considering getting my CMC replaced. I'm curious your thoughts on that. I purchased the car 7 months ago, at 117,000 miles from the original owner. As far as I know original clutch assembly and all. My clutch seems totally fine, in all areas except the fact that there seems to be a slipping at high revs when shifting quickly (the clutch isn't grabbing).... Logically this could be the clutch telling you "replace me!" Also, when testing how it grabs elsewise, 45mph in 5th, punch the Clutch pedal under WOT.... the Clutch does not grab and the engine hits the Rev limiter. Also, this last winter (in MN, when it was 0 degrees or so) my clutch peddle stuck to the floor. I don't think it's the Clutch needing replacement, but maybe? I'm still leaning towards the CMC Replacement due to the TSB? Possibly proper greasing, but I doubt this will be a permanent fix, perhaps a couple weeks at best.... The engagement is still normal as just so as you described, which I LOVE about this car. I've driven a fair amount of MT for kids my age, 23, and a fair variety of cars as well (C5 Z06 putting down 500+hp, 2010 Jetta, 04 Mazda 6 V6, 89 F-150 w/warped clutch, 89 Porsche 944S2, 2011 Carrera 4S, 2011 Ford Focus ST, 2011 Ford Fiesta ST, 06 TL.... I'm sure I'm forgetting haha). And this TL took me 2 week to master.... All the other cars it took 1 or 2 runs through the gearbox haha.
Anyway, if you or anyone sees this, I would appreciate your thoughts on my symptoms and potential fixes....
Old 04-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The OEM clutch and pressure plate (they only come as a set) are ~$300. There is a special Honda/Acura tool that preloads the pressure plate, if you do not have the tool the plate will become prenamently damaged. Ususally you can special order the special tools from Honda/Acura.
Hey man. I was under the impression that new clutches already come pre-loaded. Second, there's an easier way of doing things, in a shop anyway. All you have to do is take the PP, the flywheel, put the former on top of the latter w/o the friction disc in between. Put it on the press, depress the pedals until the little springs start moving. Take a screwdriver and rotate the whole mechanism counterclockwise. Hold it in place, release the press - your pressure plate is loaded.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by plguciopl
My 05 TL has 75000 miles, and I start to notice that clutch starts to slip at high rpms. I was wondering if anyone attempted to replace clutch by themselves without going to the dealership, is it same as any other car, or do I need special tools? I read that best clutch to get is OEM, what do they go for? I have replaced clutches previously and it wasn't that bad. What I'm afraid of is that cars I fixed were no more that $10000, TL is bit more expensive, I do not want to get myself into a one week project.
I called the dealer today and it is 5700.00 to replace the clutch and flywheel if needed.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by benmroz3
I called the dealer today and it is 5700.00 to replace the clutch and flywheel if needed.
Lol, you can get another 3G 6MT for that much.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post16818575

Go there and do the Ghetto-Ukrainian/Brother technique with least amount of tools and space needed. Wont need to remove the tranny, just move it over.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

And that's why you never, ever, go to the stealership
The following 2 users liked this post by twokexlv6coupe:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2022), DMZ (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:34 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

That's why they call 'em stealerships!

The whole job from an independent shop shouldn't run more than about $1200-$1500. You can get the LUK (OEM) clutch kit and flywheel from rockauto for under $500. Add about $600-$700 for labor. Consider replacing the rear main oil seal at this age too since everything will be opened up.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-26-2022)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How long does this job take?

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement