Clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch pedal

I have a 2006 TL with 6MT

When I depress the clutch pedal it feels "crunchy", it doesn't go in smooth. Occasionally it will depress smoothly like it should but more often than not it has a strange awkward feel too it and it makes a weird squeaky, crunchy, creaky sound... its really annoying.

Is it my master cylinder?

I first started noticing it about last winter.... somedays its not there at all... other days... its really loud. It's worse in cold weather too.

Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
The noise you are hearing, I'm assuming you think it's coming from the clutch pedal/clutch master cylinder area? (As opposed to the trans itself). If that is the case, I've had quite a few of them in at work with the same noise (10 or 15 in the past two years). The fix that I've found that always works (haven't had a comeback yet), is to spray some white lithium grease where the pushrod goes into the cylinder.

This can be done easily by first removing the plastic trim piece under the drivers side of the dash. Then, with the can in hand, push the clutch pedal down with your other hand. Assuming the can you bought comes with the nice little tube insert, insert the tube into one (or both) of the little notches so it actually goes behind that and into the cylinder itself. Then let the pedal out and repeat the process one or two more times.

Note - put a rag underneath otherwise some may/will drip out onto your interior carpeting.

I personally do this to my 07 TL-S every six months as "preventive maintenance"

Hope this helps. And if you're wondering where you can get this, any auto parts store should carry it. At work of course we use Honda/Acura brand, but you can get something else that should work just as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Cruising in my

Thank you sir! I will definitely try that ASAP. Sounds easy enough... can't believe I waited this long to make a thread about it.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

No prob, glad I could be of assistance! If it doesn't work, or you run into any probs, feel free to contact me. Hope all works out for you
Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Cruising in my

I applied the white lithium grease the way you said by pressing the pedal all the way in then releasing it. I've sprayed it on about 3 separate occasions... the creaky noise and creaky feel of the clutch pedal is still the same.
What else could I do about it? Should I just bring it in to the dealer? Maybe I am not using enough grease.

I think I need to do the power steering recall... and I want to see if they will replace my drivers seat-belt assembly.... it rattles 100% of my drive every time and its annoying as hell!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Eh? -

I trust that you were spraying in correctly, and lubing up the pushrod enough. So it may just be that your's is "damaged" enough that no amount of lube will help. I'm assuming you're still within warranty, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway. This is assuming that the noise you described was even the same one I was talking about to begin with! But given your description, I'm pretty confident it was. So you may be in the market for a new clutch master cylinder (I've only replaced one, but it was on a TSX, for the noise/feel issue)

As for the rattle, the bulletin for that noise is not replacement of the seat belt assembly, but rather replacement of the trim pieces themselves. I can think of just one occasion that someone in the shop replaced the actual seatbelt assembly, but that may have been prior to the bulletin being released. But I can't remember for sure, so. They will probably just replace the trim, as that is what the bulletin calls for.

Add to that the power steering hose recall, and it sounds like you've got a few warranty repairs lined up!

On a side note: I will assume that they don't stock the trim peice, let alone the clutch master cylinder, therefore I'de recommend you ask for a rental and/or plan on leaving your car there overnight.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
I had a groaning/creaking from my '05 TL clutch pedal and the dealer replaced the master cylinder (I think that is what it was?). They said it was rare on the TL and much more common on the TSX.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Cruising in my

Made a service appointment for my TL for next Monday.

Going to get them to check out the clutch / clutch master cylinder
and my B-pillar rattle (drives me absolutely nutty)

keep you all posted.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem and i took the shifter bushings apart and cleaned them throughly, applied lithium grease to the clutch pedal mechanism then on the bushings... because they arent stock i replaced them with aluminum ones.... i put a grease on that once its sprayed and dries it turns into a thicker grease its called HHS2000 by wurth.... after all that the problem was gone. shifting is and was smooth and no more creaking n cracking when you step down on the pedal
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Cruising in my

Parts are on order. Work should be done by Thursday. All under warranty!

REPLACING CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER

And replacing the seat belt parts in the B-Pillar.

I'll post actual part numbers being replaced once I get the final invoice.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Cruising in my

Replaced Clutch Master Cylinder
1 46920-S7A-A03 M/C ASSY, CLUTCH
1 46942-S5A-003 SNAP PIN
3 08798-9008C BRAKE FLUID DOT3

0.8 HOURS

Replaced Slider Assy (Driver's seatbelt)
1 81460-SEP-A01 SHOULDER SLIDE AD

0.4 HOURS (and its still rattling... but less)

All under warranty
Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Excellent! I'm glad they took care of you. I'm sorry my fix didn't help you...guess yours was that far gone. But all is well now and that's what matters, so.