Clutch..................

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Clutch..................

hey everyone so my clutch on my car has been slipping for a while now, and when i say a while i mean since last year. when i got the 3rd gear issue fixed with the acura dealer on feb 2010.my clutch was slipping i brought the car in like that. but the gears were all fine. till now ive noticed my 4th gear doesnt want to go in sometimes, i was also getting annoyed of the clutch slipping everytime i pressed on the gas. at first i didnt mind it at al since i drive slow and dont push the car, but there is those certain times where you have to press on the gas. so i ordered today a LUK clutch $200.00 life time warranty. SKU-08-047. has anybody replaced there clutch with LUK brand? i did once on my 95 celica and it was great. i really hope its a good oem replacment for my acura. anyway is there any possible way my clutch that has been slipping for such a long time was the one that damage my 4th gear?. also im getting the clutch installed with my mechanic ive worked with him for 5 years and he does amazing jobs. and my parents have dealed with him long time before i even started driving. hes charging me $250. so thats a total of $450, compared to the dealer $2100. thanks for any input. please let me know if i shouldve just one OEM or maybe exedy. thanks
Old 11-07-2011 | 06:44 AM

the OEM clutch is made by LUK
The following users liked this post:
**WhItE-aNgEl** (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011 | 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Clutches can only cause damage to transmissions (we're talking normal driving) when they fail to completely disengage because they either need to be adjusted (ours are self adjusting) or their control components are not allowing them to disengage completely between shifts (driver error notwithstanding). When this occurs, the synchronizers are placed under considerably more stress when trying to match gear/shaft speeds. This shortens their life prematurely and can easily cause difficulty in completing a shift.
Old 11-07-2011 | 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Should I replace the fly wheel as well?
Old 11-07-2011 | 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by **WhItE-aNgEl**
Should I replace the fly wheel as well?
The common parts to replace during a clutch job are the friction disk, the pressure plate, the flywheel (replace or resurface), the release bearing, and the pilot bearing. We cannot resurface our flywheels since they are dual mass units so replacing them is our path.
Old 11-07-2011 | 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

This is off topic. But my drive belt or accessory belt. The one thats the alternator etc. is worn out on some spots. I'm thinking of doing my timing belt this summer coming up but I know my drive belt / accessory whatever it's called is not gonna hold up till than. Will it be an issue if I replace this belt now? And is drive belt and accessory belt the same thing? Lol thanks
Old 11-07-2011 | 02:46 PM
Instructor

drive belt/ accesory belt/ serpentine belt are all names for the same thing. This is the belt that goes around the crank, power steering, alternator, etc. If you see it that is that belt. The other belt would be timing which you can't see without removing some pieces. You can replace that whenever it looks worn.