Clunking noise when driving over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I'm thinking about de-modding. Haha. Seriously. It's got low miles. I can get some money for it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
HEY

so i got new shocks / struts on my car and the dealer said that noise is probably because of the new shocks. Do our shocks have a two mode system or something because he was saying that there's one for comfort and one for sport mode so I don't know. He said the dampers on there were brand new so i might feel the "knock" for a while. To me that makes barely any sense. Was wondering what you guys thought because I did notice on other threads that people observed the "knock" after putting in new shocks.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Drifting

I have fairly new koni's and I have suspected them before but I still don't know what is making the noise. Mostly little bumps make the noise but if I can get the whole front end ( left and right side) to joust up and down together, the noise is dramatic.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cray159
I have a 2005 Acura TL with about 55k on it. I've recently got my alignment done about a month ago (not sure if that has anything to do with it). But I've noticed over the past couple of weeks when I drive over a bump I hear a clunking type noise over the passenger front wheel area (and seems to be only coming from that side)

I was just wondering if you guys had any idea what it could be?
Had a similar issues may be the control arm
Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Have the exact same problem. I had 3 culprits: Mount, ball joint, tie rod. I know all three have to be changed. I changed today the front and side mount, problem is still here. I know its one of the others. Will have them replaced next week and report back.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Still in for results from others -
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by polish_pat
Have the exact same problem. I had 3 culprits: Mount, ball joint, tie rod. I know all three have to be changed. I changed today the front and side mount, problem is still here. I know its one of the others. Will have them replaced next week and report back.
i already replaced all 3 about 8k miles ago. front, rear and side. If there is another, it didnt get replaced.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 PM
私を知らない

Thud noise finally gone.

Bumping this..

I experienced this same noise. Had excessive wear on tire, that thudding noise and car would pull to left even after 2 wheel alignments. You can hear the thud when turning left and right really quick and on certain bumps. This noise was heard 95% of the time with car under load while trouble shooting.

Dealer replaced:
Tie rods (Inner & Outter) - didnt fix it
Steering column - didn't fix it
U joint - didn't fix it

I replaced:
Compliance bushing - didn't fix it, but fixed the handling issue

What fixed it:
New steering rack

Car drives and tracks straight now, even with mismatched tires because I didn't want to spend money and ruin another set.

Car still needs a rear bushing on the control arm (torn) but still drives perfect.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Drifting

What year is your car? I have never heard a clunking noise from a rack and pinion. My car has only 76k miles and it rattles on the right and the left. I think konis rattle. Ihave had the ball joints inspected and I replaced the sway bar links, and I have inspected the upper ball joint and it is tight. And still I get noise. It's got to be my konis and they are pretty new. If you Google koni rattle, you will see others that say the same thing. Unfortunately I cannot work on my car for a while. I'm moving. So the rattle is the last thing I am messing with.

Originally Posted by xtcxjigga
Bumping this..

I experienced this same noise. Had excessive wear on tire, that thudding noise and car would pull to left even after 2 wheel alignments. You can hear the thud when turning left and right really quick and on certain bumps. This noise was heard 95% of the time with car under load while trouble shooting.

Dealer replaced:
Tie rods (Inner & Outter) - didnt fix it
Steering column - didn't fix it
U joint - didn't fix it

I replaced:
Compliance bushing - didn't fix it, but fixed the handling issue

What fixed it:
New steering rack

Car drives and tracks straight now, even with mismatched tires because I didn't want to spend money and ruin another set.

Car still needs a rear bushing on the control arm (torn) but still drives perfect.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:03 PM
私を知らない

I got a 08 TL-S. Still stock. If it was a rattle, I would put it off, but the thud/clunk was chewing up tires and kept pulling to the left even after 2 alignments.

I have a friend that has konis on, he never mentioned about that rattle. Best way is to try to reproduce that noise while parked, if possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Drifting

right. great theory. Thats why your dealer replaced a few things before going to the rack and pinion. They couldnt find it either. Anyway the only way to replicate it is by going over bumps and compressing the spring and shock. Anyway, im not replacing the rack. Thats not the problem with my car. by the way.. most people on azine that have konis , also have this clunk/rattle. But its not normal to suspect new shocks are bad, that why no one suspects them and they cant figure out where its coming from. btw, ihc replaced his rack and still has a clunk. he has konis too

Originally Posted by xtcxjigga
I got a 08 TL-S. Still stock. If it was a rattle, I would put it off, but the thud/clunk was chewing up tires and kept pulling to the left even after 2 alignments.

I have a friend that has konis on, he never mentioned about that rattle. Best way is to try to reproduce that noise while parked, if possible.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-07-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Drifting

anyway before i replace these konis, i will likely replace the upper and lower arm with a new ball joint and bushings since it needs bushings anyway.. but i doubt that is the issue. the lower arm is pretty cheap on ebay and it has new bushings already in it. So i just gotta get a ball joint and then swap the arm. I got both upper arms already from acura at wholesale. Then i will just work on 1 side, drivers, and fix/ find the problem then do the passenger side..

btw.. my car drives very straight with no unusual wear on tires.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-07-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:53 AM
5th Gear

Hi, I read a lot in this forum but this is my first post here. A year ago I bought a used 08 TL types-S. Car had lots of suspension problems, the front lower control arms both were replaced (the left one was much worse then the right one), got 4 new wheels, and replaced all 4 shocks(the rear left was leaking). So far, even tho there was some improvement, the car still has clunking noise and little shaky over bumpy road.

Wanted to see if any of you guys 'Chad05TL' or 'LockDots' or someone else had any success with solving this problem considering you changed few parts already.

The clunking noise is driving me crazy, especially in the back, that I was very close to buy all the rear suspension parts (control arms lower, upper, trailing, sway bar links and knuckle bushing) but I'm afraid that even that might not be solving problem eventually.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Since november I moved, so I have not done anything on the car, but I have noticed the front and rear both sound similar in the noise it makes. I doubt the lower bolts are loose or even the top mounts are loose. I did however order 2 of those Monroe OE shocks for the rear since they are cheaper than the front. I think for starters, provided the lower bolts are tight, I am going to remove the rear shocks and compress the springs and check for play or noise on the top end of the shocks. There are a certain number of washers and a sleeve for the rubber grommets, and I want to make sure none of that is loose without the pressure of the spring. If that is even possible.. I am not for sure until I look at it. See it only makes noise when there is a quick transfer of pressure or weight. It doesnt make noise on every bounce.. just sharp load changes like a small bumpy road. So, I am thinking that maybe the shock mounting hardware may have some gaps in there and it is noticeable when it jiggles over bumps. So, I ordered another install kit from Koni just to make sure I have enough washers. There are 2 plastic washers that com in the kit as well. So i also asked them what they are trying to tell me in the instructions. Like #2 is X'd off. And there is A and B. And it means that if you look closely at our dust cap, it it flat. It is not recessed. So, it means if yours is flat, then follow the A setup. And that means, ADD the extra washer as shown at the top. And Washer #1 is installed in both A or B. Washer #1 goes under the cap. So, I MAY have some noise for not having all the washers on.. We shall See... Then lastly, if everything STILL looks ok, and washers in the right place, and everything tight, I want to compare the top of the koni rod to the monroe OE rod. I remember the top of the koni's had a little weld spot. I didn't like the way it looked when I installed it, but I installed them anyway. So I just want to compare the shocks and see if the monroe OE shocks looks any more professionally done at the top of the rod, compared to the Koni. As a last resort, I may install the Monroes if I cannot find anything wrong with the way I installed the Koni's. The monroes were only $120 I think. So I have 3 things to check. Lower mounting bolt, upper shock washers, and a new shock if it comes to that. I may do 1 rear shock this coming weekend. They are in shipping now.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Update

I removed the drivers rear shock and replaced it. And it did not solve the fix the noise problem. I have a rubber mallet and I banged around on all the control arms, and nothing seemed loose. I tried to jiggle the tire of course but I cannot replicate suspension noises with my bare hands. The upper control arm was an adjustable arm that I installed a few years ago, so I put the oem one back on about 6 months ago, and still that did not fix the noise. And the only ball joint on the rear is on the upper control arm. I also have new sway bar end links.. that too did not fix the noise..

So, I think I am going to buy a "Steelman ChassisEar".

Last edited by Chad05TL; 03-26-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear

Control Arms

Hey Everyone, sorry to post this question on here but This is the closest thread I could find on the topic and I can't wait the 15 "trial days" for this group as it is urgent. Recently noticed some vibration in my 2007 TL at highway speeds and upon visual inspection a mechanic told me my front lower control arms need to be replaced. I suspect it may actually be the lower bushings as I can visible see that the rubber is torn and my left control arm is sitting all the way down on the frame. My right lower control arm is almost sitting center but bushing rubber is torn there as well. So my question is: how do you know if your control arms need to be replaced or just the bushings? And can I replace one control arm with replacing the other front one (financial tight unfortunately). New to suspension problems so any insight would be helpful?

Thanks again, Alex
Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Unless the control arm is damaged/bent, you can have the bushings replaced individually without replacing the whole LCA if you prefer. Typically, the compliance bushings (large donut bushings) take the brunt of the punishment and require replacement much earlier than the other two on the LCA. I pressed out the compliance bushings on my '07 TL-S @ 120k miles, but left the other two bushings alone on each arm because they were still in good shape.

You can replace one LCA at a time or its bushing(s) if money is tight, but you definitely need to get that left LCA remedied quickly before it causes any serious damage to your subframe.

Last edited by AMTMJ; 03-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Drifting

I suspect bushings on mine too. And my car has only about 800095 miles.
Btw, I bought one of those WirelessEar devices. Suppose to be delivered by Friday.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for shedding some light on this guys, its appreciated. Do any of you happen to know any good, fair priced mechanic shops in the GTA that work on Acura/Honda ?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 AM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I had a clunking in the rear while going over certain bumps at lower speeds. Got under the car last night and did a thorough inspection of the suspension bits and it turns out my driver side sway bar link was shot. Passenger side was lose but not making noise yet. Everything else looks good still and feels tight (06 - 82k miles). I bought a pair of rear sway links from the Honda dealer and swapped them out and it appears to have cured my rear end clunking. Every car is different though so just my $.02.

I thought I had a similar clunk in the front but everything seems to be good up front. I'll keep an ear out for front end noises
Old 06-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
Did it sort of sound like metal was snapping into place or out of place? Like something was stuck and then became unstuck. I hear the same thing - but only when turning the wheel over a bump - other shortly after hitting a bump - not all the time though.
Hey I have the same problem on my 2013 TL. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Yeah, those hardly look good. They're torn pretty badly, and those are only the visible tears. Mine didn't look as bad as yours, but the car handles much better after replacing them. Might not be the cause of your clunk, but I'd still replace them.
I may end up replacing the front compliance bushings.. Something still clunks after replacing sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, lower ball joints, upper ball joint and verifying all bolts are tight for shock mounts and brake caliper.. wild stuff!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Drifting

Koni rattles

If anyone has rattles and cannot find it, and If you have Koni's, I would consider removing them. I had rattling in the front and rear. I found the front rattle this morning.. I swapped out the Koni shock on the front drivers side, and the rattle is gone. The Koni's have been rattling ever since new. like 4 years! insane. I had Koni's on the rear too at one time. In the process of isolating rattles, the rear koni's were also removed. So I am on Kyb+ eibach..
Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have that issue also! damn right front clunking, replaced lower control arm compliance bushing, motor mounts, tranny mounts. I will be replacing sway bar links next week with MOOGS and i have the sway bar bushings but apparntly DIY is hella hard on it so i hope its just the sway bar links thats causing it. MY sound is when i go over bumps, i can feel the clunk around the middle of the floor under my feet.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Swaybar links are pretty quick and easy to replace. Not that is helped my clunking noise though. And by the way, my rattle is still gone. It was the koni shocks. Bad since new.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by nvasion
i have that issue also! damn right front clunking, replaced lower control arm compliance bushing, motor mounts, tranny mounts. I will be replacing sway bar links next week with MOOGS and i have the sway bar bushings but apparntly DIY is hella hard on it so i hope its just the sway bar links thats causing it. MY sound is when i go over bumps, i can feel the clunk around the middle of the floor under my feet.
I have the exact symptoms....clunk over bumps in front and in the middle of the floor. Dealer thinks sway bar end links. Everything looks good...no leaks, tears, splits. How difficult is DYI replacing sway bar end links and does it require an alignment after?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok im new to this forum but i purchased a 04 base TL 6MT, and when i go into 1st gear it makes a popping noise from the Front passenger side, and when i come down from going over a speed bump it makes a pop/clunk noise also.
*Side Note*
I have bad rotors, steering shakes when braking from 60+mph
Fresh yokohama tires
152k miles
All stock. 3rd Owner
Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quantum7
I have the exact symptoms....clunk over bumps in front and in the middle of the floor. Dealer thinks sway bar end links. Everything looks good...no leaks, tears, splits. How difficult is DYI replacing sway bar end links and does it require an alignment after?
nope you wont need alignment after. looks like only 2 nuts to take the link off but i tried last week and the top nut on both sides is so stuck in there.... and there isnt much room to work with.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Drifting

I never heard of a rattle in the middle of the floor. I wonder if a rear motor mount could make that noise? If it was the motor mount, I hear that if you press on the brake and give it a small amount gas, the engine will move more than normal. Other than that, I do not know what the middle floor noise could be. I have never crawled up under that far to see what is there. All I can think of is a rear transmission mount on my old camaro! haha Anyway, here is the rear motor mount

On other topics: I threw my Koni's in the trash. I can't sell shocks that make noise.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello People,

WE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE INFAMOUS RIGHT FRONT CLUNKING NOISE...... IT IS THE PASSENGER SIDE ENGINE MOUNT NEST TO THE BELT DRIVE SYSTEM. AND THANKS TO "EricTheCarGuy.com" for finding it for us...

I want to let everyone know I bought a 2005 Acura TL for my sons first car. It had several noises with one of them being the right front clunking noise, actually an abrupt hard slam only during bumps. After spending $3200 at 2 different garages and replacing all 4 strut asemblies, strut mounts, both right and left upper and lower control arms w/ all new busings, sway bar and both right and left sway links, both left and right ball joints... basically all 4 corners have new suspension... we still had the clunking noise and neither garage new how to fix it.

I did about 2 hrs of research on Google, ran into this forum and saw the link in a post (I put the link above). Walaa, Eric the car guy found the problem and did so before replacing any parts. I have to say, I wish Eric lived in my town. He is a very thorough and talented mechanic... not just a parts replacer.
The following users liked this post:
LoveMyTL-S (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by at3grli1
Hello People,

WE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE INFAMOUS RIGHT FRONT CLUNKING NOISE...... IT IS THE PASSENGER SIDE ENGINE MOUNT NEST TO THE BELT DRIVE SYSTEM. AND THANKS TO "EricTheCarGuy.com" for finding it for us... https://youtu.be/scFbb43fwqk

I want to let everyone know I bought a 2005 Acura TL for my sons first car. It had several noises with one of them being the right front clunking noise, actually an abrupt hard slam only during bumps. After spending $3200 at 2 different garages and replacing all 4 strut asemblies, strut mounts, both right and left upper and lower control arms w/ all new busings, sway bar and both right and left sway links, both left and right ball joints... basically all 4 corners have new suspension... we still had the clunking noise and neither garage new how to fix it.

I did about 2 hrs of research on Google, ran into this forum and saw the link in a post (I put the link above). Walaa, Eric the car guy found the problem and did so before replacing any parts. I have to say, I wish Eric lived in my town. He is a very thorough and talented mechanic... not just a parts replacer.
Yep! I had the same problem too. My clunking noise came from that exact passenger side so i went and took the motor mount off and that thing was in two pieces! I immediately got it replaced with OEM and that solved the issue. No more clunking while going into 1st and no more when going over speed bumps.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Instructor

my clunking was the strut mount nut was loose.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

I have a 03 CL Type S and I have the same issue and i've been trying to run down. clunks, bumping sounds when i go over small bumps.. like driving down a dirt road hitting small bumps and pot holes. bumps so small that it shouldnt be making such a banging sound. I've basically changed the entire front end and still have the noise. replaced struts- kept old springs and hardware, replaced upper swing arm, lower control arm, sway bar links, all new ball joints, tie rod end, struts and all 3 motor mounts... front, passenger and rear. still have the clunking noise going over bumps.. spent hundreds trying to fix it... although my motor mounts were bad it still makes me feel like it has major issues when going over bumps.

only thing i can think of to do... and from all my reading here on acurazine, is to change the strut mounts. someone on here said their steering racki was their issue... whatever that is?. I just want to fix it. i got my mom a 2002 acura TL and it rides like a cadillac. mine should be just as good... has to be something i'm missing?

Last edited by dashaint; 02-28-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Clunking noise

I’ve had the same problem and when I brake sometimes also and I found out it was my lower control arm bushings were shot. Check there also.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

Rattling in front right on small bumps

Originally Posted by Chynna
I have a 2004 TL and I have been experiencing a thumping or like something is loose from the right front tire. And it is only when I go over bumps (small or big). I am curious to know what it is and if it'll cost a lot.
Maybe someone has experienced the same dilemma.
FYI - it has 100K miles on it.
I've had the same issue forever with my 04 TL but it's much worse now after replacing both control arns & bushings, strut, stabilizer links and both ball joints. I can't tell if it's brake pads rattling, engine mounts or axle but after wiggling everything sndb tapping all over with a rubber mallet and listening I think it's my axle so I'm not sure if it's even safe to drive....any feedback is much appreciated
Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 AM
10th Gear

I'm trying replacing the sway bar bushings next week. only $12.50 for both. If that don't do it, then the strut mounts. after that only thing left is steering rack.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2005 RL that had the clunking over bumps..It was actually 2 different things...both motor mounts were gone and a transmission mount..Also check your sway bar links..make sure they are tight..mine were replaced and I still had the noise..Had them tightened and now all quite
Old 02-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally diagnosed my front bumping/noise problem. It was a broken front motor mount. Just got car back today and all is hunky-dory ! BTW, called my local Acura dealer and they wanted $302.00. Ordered one from RA $27.00 plus shipping, hope it lasts !! B

This is my broken MM
Old 02-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by nvasion
nope you wont need alignment after. looks like only 2 nuts to take the link off but i tried last week and the top nut on both sides is so stuck in there.... and there isnt much room to work with.
Mine was sway bar end links after all. Picked up a set from Rock Auto. Getting old set off was a bitch with a ton of rust but now the ride is much better.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Update, after about a week or so, the same bumping noise was back !! WTF....well it turned out that my right MM was broken. Ordered from Amazon, $22 delivered, installed and everything's good - no more bumping. My mechanic said to go ahead and order the tranny mount.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise when driving over bumps?