Climate Control/Navi Buttons won't light up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Climate Control/Navi Buttons won't light up.

Hello all,

So I have been using Deathmetal's DIY for replacing all the interior button lights with LEDs. Last night when I was trying to put the bulbs in with the unit plugged in and the lights on, they all went out and I cant figure out what is causing it. All of the other button lights work fine, just the ones around the nav screen are out. I have tested the leds individually and they all work. If anyone knows what is causing this or what I could have blown I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance, and thanks to Deathmetal. Don't think I would have attempted this without his guide.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
You can always check a fuse.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All of these lights are powered with the underhood #4 small light fuse. I may be wrong on the number but I believe it is 4. And I have checked all fuses already anyway.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgasttr
Hello all,

So I have been using Deathmetal's DIY for replacing all the interior button lights with LEDs. Last night when I was trying to put the bulbs in with the unit plugged in and the lights on, they all went out and I cant figure out what is causing it. All of the other button lights work fine, just the ones around the nav screen are out. I have tested the leds individually and they all work. If anyone knows what is causing this or what I could have blown I would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance, and thanks to Deathmetal. Don't think I would have attempted this without his guide.
can you link me to the guide and where to order the bulbs? my DUAL and OFF buttons no longer light up
The following users liked this post:
jmd10259 (03-31-2020)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

G-100: DIY LED Interior Part VI: Front Passenger Door w/ RL Door-Handle LED!
G-100: DIY LED Interior Part X: Cupholder Illumination!
G-100: DIY LED Interior Part III: Steering Wheel LEDs (Audio and Cruise Modules)
G-100: DIY LED Interior Conversion, Part I: Map Light Console
G-100: DIY LED Interior Part VIII: Knee Panel Lights (VSA, Mirror, etc.)
G-100: DIY LED Interior Conversion, Part II: Rear Door Window Switch w/ Handle LEDs
G-100: DIY LED Interior Part VII: Front Driver Door w/ RL Door-Handle LED!
G-100: DIY LED Interior Conversion, Part V: Cluster Console (EASIEST OF THE BUNCH!)
G-100: DIY LED Interior Conversion, Part IV: Center Vents
G-100: DIY LED Interior Part IX: Heated Seat Switches

I think that's all of them
Tylormill3r (08-28-2023)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
climate control lights out on all buttons 2005 Acura tl

HelloI have a 05 tl and all the climate control buttons n the heated seat buttons don't light up at night or anytime they all work fine beside lighting up...if I Click defrost the orange circle light comes outI have checked every fuse all is good thereI bought the bulbs in replaced two and nothing change still didn't come on even when turning lights on ...it weird it's only them buttons for climate control era I think 8 buttonsWhat am I missing ..thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Teewalk200
HelloI have a 05 tl and all the climate control buttons n the heated seat buttons don't light up at night or anytime they all work fine beside lighting up...if I Click defrost the orange circle light comes outI have checked every fuse all is good thereI bought the bulbs in replaced two and nothing change still didn't come on even when turning lights on ...it weird it's only them buttons for climate control era I think 8 buttonsWhat am I missing ..thanks
are you sure the bulbs are on the correct way? there is a negative and positive side, so try switching the inserts. also you should check if its plugged in correctly.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
my climate lights stop working sometimes so i just hit it a little bit and they come back on , my civic si did the same thing
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply yes the bulbs are in the right way..I only tried replacing one to see if that worked and nothing happen...since all of them are out all together I'm thinking it's something else causing this..that's odd everyone is out for the heating n ac control area

I can't figure out what it could be if there is a fuse somewhere I'm missing or if the wires have an issue somehow
Old 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
10th Gear

I think I'm at a lose because I went over every fuse again and even took dash off and retired the bulbs and still no luck buttons won't light up..I'm still it's so fu thinking se because all lights are out including flasher button
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did u chec a fuse called a meter fuse located inside where all the fuses are? i was replacing my reverse lights with some led lights and i used a flathead to close the clamp thing a lil and it shocced alot of stuff. m windows wouldnt work, no lights on the dash, ac blew hot air. idk if thats the problem but try checcing that fuse.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You tried fuses outside in the engine bay and inside by driver foot?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Ya I went through a'll the fuses I even pulled each one out and put back in..I'm not sure what the deal is maybe I can replace each fuse one by one and see if some how a fuse Is bad.

But when I read about the fuses I wouldnt think one fuse would only control them lights but yet let radio lights work..I wonder if a wire is bad
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some of my ac control buttons are out too,what if i just wanna stick with the oem color do i still need to do the soldering as well?i haven't really taken it apart yet so I dont know if those stock bulbs are soldered as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM
10th Gear

i have tested all the fuses with multimeter reader and every fuse is good and still the ac and heat buttons dont like up along with the flasher lights button..not sure how all the buttons on both sides are out and yet the radio buttons work...i have try to replace bullbs and after replacing two bulbs it didnt change anything still not working what else could be the issue..
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I just now encountered the same issue. Was installing red LEDs and they came on, I had to test it before I was finished with the install because they have polarity so no other way to test and see if u r right.. so I don't know, the ligbts came on, I handled.it a minute or 2 then they flicked once and off they went and I can't get it back on. I found a bad fuse at the foot, but still not coming back on. I pulled every fuse under the hood and checked, no problem. Checked all fuses at foot, and no problem. I checked to see if the bulbs burned out but 2 are working.. didn't check all of them, but that shouldn't matter. I even disconnected my battery and didn't help. The weird thing is that the navi display comes on and works, and the dual green light still works, and the upper display works, and the button on the navi work fine, its just the red background lights are all out. GREAT! I love it when everything comes to a screeching halt as if this conversation is not a big enough project already.

I am wondering if the navi screen has a hidden fuse somewhere.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I only had 4 leds in it when it flicked and when out. All the rest were still factory bulbs. So, only 4 bulbs and something happened. So, I put the factory bulbs back in it, and still nothing. And I even checked for a 2nd time all the fuses in the foot area with a continuity meter and all are fine.
Weird thing that all 3 sides are out and I had only touched 1 side. All the rest of the bulbs were factory at this time. So, if all went out, then they must be on the same circuit. So, I'm thinking there is either a mother bulb that has to be working but is not, or something on the navi board is fried, or one of the "button modules" is dead. But as I said, the Dual green light works, and the navigation screen itself works, and the recycle air light works, and all the functions of the buttons work. It's just the Red colored bulbs that are out. NICE! Time for a new car.. haha
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Hi all,
ok, so it's not just me going crazy apparently. My climate control backlights went out as well today. Everything works, functions, the "Dual" button green light, the rear front defrost/defog button orange lights work as well. Only the back lights of all the climate buttons are out.
Mine is a 05 TL non-navi. So what happened: I had the defrost button back light, and the driver side seat warmer light out for a while and was driving me crazy. Today was the day when I tore it apart and to replace them. Well, it's been a frustrating experience, to say the least. After tearing all the panels apart and getting to the head unit (only certain kind of person can put in all this effort to replace a BULB), replacing the bulb (it's one bulb for both defrost buttons), plugged it in to check before I put everything back together. Well, THESE buttons lit up, but most of the others on the climate control module were dead.
I ran to the dealership and shelled out a ton to get all the bulbs. Found the part numbers here:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...ll&vinsrch=yes

Yes, on the site are MUCH cheaper than at a dealership but I couldn't wait till they arrive with the car torn apart. Anyway, replaced everything, plugged it in and it lit up.... for a few seconds... then all went dark! ALL climate control back lights are now not lighting up.

I checked the fuses, inside and in the engine compartment, all good. Gave the damn thing a few good smacks, to no avail. I even opened up the climate control unit down to the board. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

An interesting observation: while I had things apart after all lights went out, when I turned on the parking lights or headlights, the back lights of the buttons didn't come on, but the orange light of the defrost buttons and the green light of the Dual button started flickering. That was when I had the Hazards button and the seat warmers unplugged.

After spending much more time than I actually have today, I gave up and put it all back together. The flickering is gone, thankfully, but the back lights are still dead. Extremely annoying.

And to top it all off, when I put it all together, the PASSENGER side seat warmer was now dead! Seriously! What the ....

Anyone have any idea what in the world is going on?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Cruisin'

UPDATE: Finally got it fixed. I did buy a used climate control unit from ebay pretty cheaply. It came about the same as having to buy all bulbs from the dealership.

Anyway, one of the bulbs on the new unit was also out, or at least died when I plugged it in. Thankfully I had a spare.

My suspicion is that if you turn the parking lights on without having all switches and cables plugged in (specifically the seat heater switches), then light bulbs go to meet their maker.

POSSIBLE REASON/SOLUTION: I had other troubles that made me unplug the radio and climate controls multiple times since then, but I made sure all was plugged in before I tested anything. Happy to report, no dead bulbs since.

Now, on to the steering wheel button bulbs...
Old 01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
2022 MDX Advance

Originally Posted by NoTrace
UPDATE: Finally got it fixed. I did buy a used climate control unit from ebay pretty cheaply. It came about the same as having to buy all bulbs from the dealership.

Anyway, one of the bulbs on the new unit was also out, or at least died when I plugged it in. Thankfully I had a spare.

My suspicion is that if you turn the parking lights on without having all switches and cables plugged in (specifically the seat heater switches), then light bulbs go to meet their maker.

POSSIBLE REASON/SOLUTION: I had other troubles that made me unplug the radio and climate controls multiple times since then, but I made sure all was plugged in before I tested anything. Happy to report, no dead bulbs since.

Now, on to the steering wheel button bulbs...
I am experiencing the same issues. I found the climate control for the driver and passenger modules on ebay and am about to order them. How did you get the bottom row of buttons under the navi screen to light up? Were those out for you also? Is this controlled by the climate control modules?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

K_Squared, mine is a non-navi, so I'm not sure about the buttons you are referring to.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

The climate control lights on my 05 TL/nav have always been dimmer than the ones below it (radio buttons). I even took it to the dealer way back when and they pooh poohed it. They just said to turn it brighter. In the last few weeks the all went out completely. This is not a project that I feel comfortable tackling by myself so am wondering if anyone ever figured out if one could change a fuse and get it to work. If so, which one? In my case I have not touched any of the electronics so I didn't short anything out. Just wondering before I contact the dealer about it. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

Driver side climate control buttons won't light up

After I installed my interior lights this happened. My interior lights are wired to the cigarette lighter in the center console. don't know if something touched or what
2005 Acura TL base model
Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

That is exactly how mine looks only with Navi. It all happened after my ex installed the blue LED lights and pulled off the center council. NOW the steering wheel and left door lights don't work. I have gotten really good at memorizing the location of buttons! lol
Originally Posted by Joseph Jones
After I installed my interior lights this happened. My interior lights are wired to the cigarette lighter in the center console. don't know if something touched or what
2005 Acura TL base model
Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Did u fix the problem

Originally Posted by Mgasttr
Hello all,

Hello..I'm new to this but I did the same thing was changing the bulbs with leds and now all the navi lights won't work.. I think something sorted out but number 4 fuse was good well looks good anyways...my question is there another fuse somewhere behind the radio like a inline fuse or did I just burnt out the board in the screen.. I'm lost can u help me please
Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Im bumping this because I'm in the same boat. Replacing nav lights that burnt out and all was going good and now none of them work. Fuses good. Bulbs are good. Did anyone find a reason or solution?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Passing on my own experience: I went to replace the bulbs on the NAV and AC buttons with LEDS. Lazy and didn't disconnect battery. Shorted out one while it was plugged in and lost all of the ones around the NAV display. The issue was I blew the FET transistor that controls the dimming function. So it was either replace the transistor or get a new NAV (the transistor is mounted in the NAV circuit board). Didn't want to do either so I tapped the bulb power to the light in the center console arm rest. Got it to work with some wire and minimal soldering. Replacing the side buttons would not work (for me) as they had nothing to do with the problem. Hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BillMFD3
Passing on my own experience: I went to replace the bulbs on the NAV and AC buttons with LEDS. Lazy and didn't disconnect battery. Shorted out one while it was plugged in and lost all of the ones around the NAV display. The issue was I blew the FET transistor that controls the dimming function. So it was either replace the transistor or get a new NAV (the transistor is mounted in the NAV circuit board). Didn't want to do either so I tapped the bulb power to the light in the center console arm rest. Got it to work with some wire and minimal soldering. Replacing the side buttons would not work (for me) as they had nothing to do with the problem. Hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck.
I have no issues fixing the problem if I know exactly where it is. I can't trace issues on boards. Do you know which transistor it is?

Also could you elaborate on what you did to bypass the issue?

Thanks for replying. You're the first person I've seen across MANY posts with an actual answer to what the cause is.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

I ran a wire from c2 to the 12v side of the light inside the center console bottom section behind the cup holder
Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BillMFD3

I ran a wire from c2 to the 12v side of the light inside the center console bottom section behind the cup holder
C2 on the wiring harness? Thanks again
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM
3rd Gear

Climate control lights

I was installing an aftermarket radio and after doing so I realized a lot of my lights on the climate control panel don’t work, the button themselves work but only around three of them have the background light. Also the passenger heated seat button light stopped working but lights up the orange circle indicating that it on. I’m not sure if I pinched a cable or something while putting the things back together, if so what cable could it possibly be.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
If only some of lights don't work, and you didn't touch the bulbs, then I suspect bulbs. They get weaker over time, and additional stress from you removing panels may cause filament to break. If you want, swap the bulbs. Just don't be surprised if working bulbs don't work anymore
gbratini (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by peter6
If only some of lights don't work, and you didn't touch the bulbs, then I suspect bulbs. They get weaker over time, and additional stress from you removing panels may cause filament to break. If you want, swap the bulbs. Just don't be surprised if working bulbs don't work anymore

thank you i guess I try this
Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by peter6
sorry to bother again is there a website that has the bulbs, I tried using the website linked above but it lists bulbs and I’m not sure what it what it also shows different bulbs for different parts of the radio, any insights on that
Old 12-17-2019, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

Help!

it would be great if you do a tutorial of this I’ve seen a lot of people with the same problem and no concrete solution. If we could get a picture of the wires you tapped into or a YouTube video it would be amazing. Thanks man !!!

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts
Bump.

Used car came with some LED interior bulbs, which do flicker if pressed into service more than a few seconds. Most climate control backlights are out.

I'm seeing a trend here. Looks like LEDs ***may*** introduce problems to a delicate system.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Bump

After i replaced 1 light bulb ( the fan speed ). now all the lights on the left, right side and bottom of the navi screen doesnt light up. The button are functional. Fuse #4 under hoid is good. Please help.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by THTL
After i replaced 1 light bulb ( the fan speed ). now all the lights on the left, right side and bottom of the navi screen doesnt light up. The button are functional. Fuse #4 under hoid is good. Please help.
From what I've seen and experienced there is no fix. Something on the pcb board inside the navigation has fried. I tried dissecting mine and finding the faulty component to no avail. The only thing I knew to do was get another unit and that's what I did.

Lesson learned though, I'll never replace bulbs without pulling the harness or battery power.

Wish I had better news. Good luck.
THTL (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzy13
From what I've seen and experienced there is no fix. Something on the pcb board inside the navigation has fried. I tried dissecting mine and finding the faulty component to no avail. The only thing I knew to do was get another unit and that's what I did.

Lesson learned though, I'll never replace bulbs without pulling the harness or battery power.

Wish I had better news. Good luck.
what did you replaced?
Old 01-18-2021, 04:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by THTL
what did you replaced?
Navigation display.
THTL (01-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Climate Control/Navi Buttons won't light up.