Climate buttons went dark

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Climate buttons went dark

All but one worked before.
I don't know exactly when they went out, but I think today. All the buttons work, they just don't light,well some do. Thee "auto" on pass side is lit. And all but the cancel in the mid. All the fuses seem good, idkwtf happened.
​​​​​​I read some other stuff but it's a little unclear. New bulbs (I've been wanting led anyway, good excuse to do it) , or are the actual units malfunctioning?

I removed the console trim to vinyl it, and added type s tails this week. Idk if that makes a difference.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few of mine went out when I added a grom box to the factory radio. My recommendation is to replace all of the bulbs while you're there, maybe even radio bulbs. Supposedly the bulbs are super sensitive to movement etc. and pop easily.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Bulbs are extremely sensitive to movement. It's highly likely that removing the aluminum trims would cause the filament inside the bulbs to break. Super common issue with the TL. I always warn others when removing things like the navigation screen, steering wheel ect, just replace all the bulbs, because chances are some aren't going to work. Here's my suggestion to you, replace them ALL when you have the climate control unit out, including the hazard switch.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Cold Business

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Bulbs are extremely sensitive to movement. It's highly likely that removing the aluminum trims would cause the filament inside the bulbs to break. Super common issue with the TL. I always warn others when removing things like the navigation screen, steering wheel ect, just replace all the bulbs, because chances are some aren't going to work. Here's my suggestion to you, replace them ALL when you have the climate control unit out, including the hazard switch.

I plan to replace them with blue and white leds, but I need to know if somehow the bulbs all blew at one time, or if something burned out. I mean, I've banged on the dash before I fixed my clock , go over harsh bumps, all that. And gently pulling the console trim somehow blows all one side and all but one on the other??
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by SocomM4
I plan to replace them with blue and white leds, but I need to know if somehow the bulbs all blew at one time, or if something burned out. I mean, I've banged on the dash before I fixed my clock , go over harsh bumps, all that. And gently pulling the console trim somehow blows all one side and all but one on the other??
Some of the bulbs run on the same circuit. It's like Christmas lights, when you have 1 bad bulb, a section goes out. My trick is keeping the lights on while you remove things. You have a greater chance of not having a bulb go out. I like the LED idea, HOWEVER, not every interior light is powered by a a wedge bulb. The radio is ALL led on a circuit board. Besides, if you only do the climate control, it will stand out when compared to the rest of the interior lights. It's best to do the entire interior over to LED. You could follow the DIY on swapping the LED's on the radio, or pay someone that can do it. Other wise use the brightest OEM bulb which is 35156-SEP-A52. I used these bulbs on the entire interior, which already made a night and day difference on the interior, especially around the steering wheel.

Name:  20170129_125949_zpswt4bxgfr.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  114.6 KB
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Cold Business

Seems like if I did go led, that'd be a good start.

idk which to do. The Honda ones are pretty expensive no?

need someone around sac that wouldn't mind helping with this.

I went out and changed the led boards in my type s tails , to the boards in my red tails, just to be sure it didn't have anything to do with it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
The Honda ones are not too bad a price in America, I think most are around $3.50 each. Here in Canada they charge $10 per bulb...

The cheaper route would be to buy the bulbs in bulk on ebay (look up 14v 60mA and 14v 40mA) and replace the bulb part on the OEM bulb base.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by SocomM4
Seems like if I did go led, that'd be a good start.

idk which to do. The Honda ones are pretty expensive no?

need someone around sac that wouldn't mind helping with this.

I went out and changed the led boards in my type s tails , to the boards in my red tails, just to be sure it didn't have anything to do with it.
Nothing wrong with going over to LED. It will stand out compared to the rest of the interior, which is why I said to do the entire interior. Things like your radio, window switches garage door buttons are integrated LED lights. You won't be able to change those unless you're good with removing them off the circuit board and installing new ones. That's if you want them to match the LED's. Option 2 is, using the OEM bulb that I mentioned (provided the part number) and use that instead. They aren't crazy expensive on average about $3.50 a bulb. I know places like EBAY have LED's for cheaper but not sure about the quality of them.

Here are a few links to the brightest OEM bulb.
Bulb (14V 60MA) | Genuine Acura | 35156-SEP-A52 : Genuine Acura Parts For Less | OEM Acura Parts
https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...6-sep-a52.html
Acura BULB (14V 60MA) | OEM Part Number 35156-SEP-A52
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...QtYXV0b21hdGlj
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 761 Posts
LED is the way to go. Only downside to them is that you can not dim them like the OEM ones. Other than that, I loved mine in my old car when I had them. I have to contact the seller for some Red LED's for my Type S now so I can change them this summer.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Cold Business

So , anyone know off hand how many go in the perimeter buttons around the navigation screen? Might as well do all of them. Climate and nav controls.

​​​​​​To anyone with led around the nav, I'd there any downsides? Does it bug you at night?

I hope it's just the bulbs.

Appreciate all the help guys.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 761 Posts
3 per side of the nav screen and 4 for the buttons below it. acuraoemparts shows all the bulbs if you look for them.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
The bulb burn out and worst of all the Navi model has more button. My TL-S has 3 out and those are rear defroster, front defroster and mode for passenger side. I already got the replacement bulb but I still await more burn out so I can replace all of them together in 1 shot. FIY OEM bulb cost around $50 for all the button.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Cold Business

As stated above, this is a decent amount of work the first time you do it.
But is still fairly easy.

1. Order your lights. I have nav, so I got 20 white, 10 blue dual smd with resistors for 18 bucks. No reason not to have extras.

(Also, you might as well pick up a complete led swap(15$) for the other lights inside and outside the car. I like seller "partsam" on amazon. All the lights needed for domes reverse license doors trunk glove console and whatever else is included. Amazon is awesome, and if 1 light doesn't work, and you tell them that, they refund your money, and give you a free month of prime. And replacements.Free same day, or next day is awesommme too)

2. Order a trim removal kit.
I got my 4 piece set for 6 bucks, and they work amazingly well.
3. Do it.

I did my trunk release, Vsa, sunroof, heated seats, trip and brightness stuff around the cluster, Hazard , climate and nav controls all at the same time. 4 hours total with my 2 year old driving me crazy. While deep cleaning all the parts to like new before reinstalling.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE GLOVE BOX, OR LOWER DRIVER TRIM.

Theres a few great videos on the procedure all over, it's about ten screws and some common sense.

NOTE:
Since you aren't removing the glove and driver trim, you'll see 2 clips holding the shifter bezel/cubby in, directly in view on each side. Use your tool to pop one out, then pull the bezel about a half inch to clear the clip, repeat on other side, and it will slide right out. (I unscrewed my shifter knob to give more clearance after shifting to Low gear)

Then 4 screws hold the radio and upper display/nav.
Replace all 12 on the nav, an plug just the nav plugs back in and turn on the parking lights to see if you got the polarity correct. Which ever ones don't light. Remove and turn 180 degrees. Recheck. Once everything is good, pop it all back together. Don't be like me and forget to plug in the fm antenna and power port. It's lame.

Now, some buttons , the led is mounted in the side, and not the rear (almost all are). These leds can be reoriented
to shine 90° so you get a uniform light pattern and no hot spots.
Put the light in, make sure it's lighting, then use a marker to put a dot on the back in the direction you need it to shine. Remove it.
Use tweezers or a needle to gently unwind the terminals on the base. Gently grab the mini board and twist it a little back and forth to break the tiny bit of glue holding it in place. Gently pull the led out about 1/8th" and bend the led and the exposed terminals over. Gently press it back down to the base, and rewind the terminals. Bam
Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Cold Business

Mods please change title to "LED Nav and climate contol light Replacement"
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM
Cold Business

Sorry about the pic, best I could get.