Challenging AC problem... Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Challenging AC problem... Help Me!

Hello my fellow TL owners. I have a '08 TL that I just purchased a couple months ago, love the car but the AC doesn't work. I have replaced the compressor, condensor, and had Acura do an evac and recharge, so the pressures are correct, but when I turn on the ac the compressor never turns on. I have found that the ECM module sends a ground through the compressor relay when it should turn on but it doesn't do this. If I jump the ground at the ECM I can make the compressor come on, which tells me the connections are ok and the compressor is working. The strange part is when I force the compressor on, the low side pressure is running around 40-45 psi and high side can go to 250 psi until the fan kicks on then it drops to around 100 psi, which I think is normal, but the air in the cabin is not cold, it actually gets hot. I have the setting on low and AC light is on but air is hot. WTF! I am confused about this one. I took to Acura and they couldn't find it, wanted to start with changing the fuse box in the engine bay, if that didn't work then climate control module, and then ECM. So they are just guessing at this point. I brought it home to troubleshoot myself as I was afraid of the amount of money I was going to sink into this AC problem....

Has anyone here experienced similar issues? I looked on here and saw alot of compressor or clutch problems but I ruled that out since all mechanical parts are new. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys/gals.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have any problems with your blower motor? Does it run in all speeds? If not then you need to start there because if there is a problem in the blower motor circuit the a/c compressor will not run/turn on
Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Been busy, but quick reply, the high head pressure is the result of the fan not energizing as the fans should run when compressor energized. Feel the hoses by the firewall to see if low side cold, high warm/hot. If all indications are correct, pressures etc, then the problem is not directly related to the a/c system, but blend doors or even a heater control valve.
Did they check the A/C pressure switch circuit?

There is a self diagnostic that can be run:
Turn the ignition on. While holding the off button, press the recirculation button five times within 10 seconds. release the off button and the self diagnostic will begin.
if there is any problem in the system, the temperature indicator will light up the segment, equal to A through S coressponding to the error.
If no problems detected, the segments will not illuminate.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it's making the air hot maybe your compressor is wired backwards and u turned it into a heat pump?