Car shuddering on acceleration...could use some help here

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Car shuddering on acceleration...could use some help here

Hi guys. 04 Had the wheels balanced to no avail. Slightly bent rim moved to back to no avail. Alignment done---(road test)...still not fixed.
Based upon doing a search I believe it could be an axle or something else.
Just how much does the dealership charge for an axle to replace ? I dont have the time or resources to do this myself. any replies would be appreciated. 04tl--115k. Car is perfect otherwise so I hope its nothing serious.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Drifting

edit..

road force balancing I had done as well...thats what I meant to say instead of road test
Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
would not be unusual at your miles for an axle/cv joints to be worn out
or ball joints or control arm bushings--inspect all
dont need dealer for this job- a good front end shop, private repair shop can do the axle in an hour

ck NAPA for prices, my gen2 axles are less than 100 each complete all new parts-not rebuilt unit

let a specialty shop ck it out for you
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to put axles in my 04 5at Tl at 119K. Mine was only vibrating during accerlation in gears 3 thru 5. They had no signs of being bad. ie no leakage or noise. Got NEW axles at my cost for $50 each. Fixed it right up.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Are you sure it's not transmission issues?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Drifting

thanks for replies. I dont think its tranny...I have a manual. Its only really prevalent during acceleration over 45MPH and especially going over hills.
I looked into getting axles from these guys
http://us.gsp.cn/main/ they have what I need. I called a local shop and he told me he wouldnt install those because they are "chinese crap" as he puts it. *sigh He has "his guy" who can get me them for 100 a piece and he will guarantee. Hes charging 135 labor per axle...so total job would be 470 plus tax. Not sure if thats good or not. If it is a CV joint---does the whole axle have to be done > ?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Drifting

I am aware that the passenger side axle on the MT tl is different thant the automatic one...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
thanks for replies. I dont think its tranny...I have a manual. Its only really prevalent during acceleration over 45MPH and especially going over hills.
I looked into getting axles from these guys
http://us.gsp.cn/main/ they have what I need. I called a local shop and he told me he wouldnt install those because they are "chinese crap" as he puts it. *sigh He has "his guy" who can get me them for 100 a piece and he will guarantee. Hes charging 135 labor per axle...so total job would be 470 plus tax. Not sure if thats good or not. If it is a CV joint---does the whole axle have to be done > ?
Sorry, missed that part. Could be an axle. Make sure the damper is not partially missing.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 AM
remedychild

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check your transmission mounts.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i'm having similar issues. got new tires, then road forced balanced. mostly fiixed the drift, but the vibration on acceleration and at 65 mph exists still. over the last winter noticed the infamous CV joint click/knock during hard Lt. turns but only when it was cold (after the car warmed up no more click on turns). by spring and summer the turning click was gone, the weather turned cooler and the click came back. the vibration on hard accelerations is only when the car is first being driven then goes away which i didn't realy notice until say this past spring/summer but attributed the subtle steering wheel vibration to the flat spot in my tires from sitting overnight.

dealer figured this all out for me after the road force balance. helps when you make nice with them. they test drove the car after it sat overnight once they RFB the day before. apparently they heard the click (i didn't mention it to them, to see if they would pick up on it and tell me). they tell me the inner CV joint and outer CV joint are wearing (they heard that lovely click, and i tell them about that, the acceleration vibration i tell them a bit about that, but againi didn't think anything of it since it wasn't consistent). the shop foreman was test driving the car much harder than i would ever drive the car to provoke the symptoms, and he confirmed what i had told them. boots are fine, but definitely have premature wearing on the front axle for whatever reason. i have an '05 M/T with less than 50K miles and i'm not that particularly hard on the car. they said it would be fine to drive on it but it will have to be replaced at some point (when the vibration becomes too annoying and the clicking on Lt. turns is consistently annoying-could be a year, could be in a few years, hard to say). i have no hard numbers, but they threw out $1K just for parts (assuming dealer mark up). i did some research for genuine acura OEM parts at wholesale you can get the Lt., Rt. and halfaxle for $636with shipping. They advised me NOT to go aftermarket parts on the drive axle because of the quality. yes, i've seen the aftermarket stuff selling between $50-100 per side and quite frankly i would be afraid to put in the aftermarket parts for fear of more issues.

my dealer, worked with me to get to the heart of the issues going on with my TL with great patience and understanding. they didn't pressure me to get the axle replaced, but they did tell me a straight forward honest answer. they said, just keep an eye on it and if anything changes, let them know and we'll see where we go from there, but its not a cheap fix. as much as some members hate on the dealer that i go to because of horrible experiences, which i can totally understand, i have a long standing service record with them since purchase in '05. yes it's pricey to go there for service, but i'll pay a little extra to be treated well and get a free loaner, knowing i'm not going to be taken advantage of as a female driver.