Car shaking on acceleration at 45-70mph...FIXED !

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Car shaking on acceleration at 45-70mph...FIXED !

So like many of you I had the issue with my car shaking on acceleration--(usually above 45 MPH) .
Things I tried to fix
Road force balance...nope
Moving very slightly bent rim to back...nope
Taking off all rims and replacing them with all new rims.,,(temporary)..nope.

I had my mechanic look at everything--hubs, torque converter, axles, ball joints.
He couldn't find anything wrong.
After reading countless posts here I decided to just replace both front axles. I found a coupon online and got 2 GSP axles for about 110.00 from advance auto parts. Had a private mechanic who has worked on acuras put them in and POOF !
Problem solved. Car is now smooth as glass at any speed.
For the record the dealer wanted to charge me 480 in labor and 300 per axle.
I got everything done for about 410 total. Anyone having this issue, if the shaking happens on acceleration, replace your axles and stay away from the stealership.
The following users liked this post:
jvieira21 (03-18-2013)
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
well i just had the same thing done with my car (read the geico MBI thread for the full report).

except i did go the "stealership" as you guys so affectionately call them. i was able to get the Lt and Rt. axles replaced with OEM parts through my geico MBI coverage for $250 at the dealer (they even took care of all the phone calls and paperwork for me to file with geico). geico paid the rest. so happy now the car is driving the way its suppose to...

my only minor gripe is that somehow the car acquired a dent on the trink lid when it spent the night at the dealer. WTH?! so i'll be back there again for them to fix that. otherwise, the new axles fixed the click with turns (bad CV joint) and the annoying steering wheel vibration with accelerations and highway speeds (bad inner CV). the annoying thing about this is that there are less than 50K miles on the car. why did the axles wear so prematurely??
Old 11-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Drifting

good for you...

250 is a great deal but if you didn't have that insurance(most of us dont) it probably would have cost you closer to 750-1000. Hence--stealership
My car has 116K on it and I would say the axles were problematic a few hundred miles ago so its not too bad.
Lesson learned for me on this is to never have dealer do the work--unless its under warranty.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by SilverJ
250 is a great deal but if you didn't have that insurance(most of us dont) it probably would have cost you closer to 750-1000. Hence--stealership
My car has 116K on it and I would say the axles were problematic a few hundred miles ago so its not too bad.
Lesson learned for me on this is to never have dealer do the work--unless its under warranty.
i guess we pay for what we get. nonetheless, we now have cars that are driving the way we want them to, we just went about it in a different manner. so now we are both happy TL drivers again. i figure might as well share and put the experiences out there to help out other TL owners make decisions. glad to hear your TL is behaving after the fix.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Drifting

yep.

I have forgotten what a smooth ride this car is..loving it all over again.
Which really says something 6 years later. BTW..I notice you have the conti extrem tires---I do as well. They are awesome arent they ? They are my favorite tires ever for the TL. When trying to diagnose this problem I had the dealer throw on some OEM michelin tires from a TL type s...no comparison. Those tires run rough as hell compared to the conti extremes.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I have forgotten what a smooth ride this car is..loving it all over again.
Which really says something 6 years later. BTW..I notice you have the conti extrem tires---I do as well. They are awesome arent they ? They are my favorite tires ever for the TL. When trying to diagnose this problem I had the dealer throw on some OEM michelin tires from a TL type s...no comparison. Those tires run rough as hell compared to the conti extremes.
yeah i like them so far. dont' quite corner like the GY eagle gt's (which were initially great until my car ate them alive-the treadlife was horrible). i've had the toyo proxies 4 as well...loud, but handled well, snow not so much, rain good. all my vibration issues started after the conti's were installed, a road force balance and alignment...then it uncovered the freakin' bad axles. the test will be to survive the light snow crap we get here in the mid atlantic region.

i'm right there with you on the smooth ride. totally forgot what it was like not to have the steering wheel vibrate and handle like crap. its night and day with the new axles. i can actually enjoy my driving experience now. now just to get the dealer to fix the dent they put in my car...and all the drama should be done. really... all i want to do is do an oil change for the next "car thing." no more big things or drama. (knock on wood).
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Evening,

My name is Jameson. My question is was the vibration you felt around 1500k-2000k like when you were giving it gas and when you let off it went away cause mine is between that 45-65mph range and same rpm range. Like if i get it to 2000krpm then let it drop to 1500 and give it gas from there it vibrates all through the cabin. Now I already know my rims have slight bends in them i have had them balanced and aligned. I guess I ask all this is because you said you replaced the drive axles and it fixed it but I don't have any clicking noise or anything of that sort when i turn so how did you come about this remedy. Cause I just ordered the dynamic damper from acura thats stated in tsb thats supposedly suppose to suppress it.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
The outer axle joints usually click as they begin to go bad, you can drive a long time with them clicking without a vibration problem.
The inner axle CV joints usually start to vibrate when they begin
to go bad, the worse the joint wears out the worse the vibration gets.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am having this problem. I was told it was a bent rim. I'm skeptical due to moving the rim to back of the car having zero affect. I am replacing the rims, all four. I was going to anyways. But if that doesn't work, I will know why.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by xxfunkxx
Thanks for the info. I am having this problem. I was told it was a bent rim. I'm skeptical due to moving the rim to back of the car having zero affect. I am replacing the rims, all four. I was going to anyways. But if that doesn't work, I will know why.
The key is acceleration. If a vibration exists when coasting or at a sustained speed, it's balance, bent wheel, tire, etc, but if under acceleration, inner CV joints worn providing the motor mounts aren't completely shot changing the driveline angle.

Last edited by Turbonut; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 AM.