car randomly won't start - weird sequence of events

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023 | 06:33 PM
Instructor

car randomly won't start - weird sequence of events

Here is the whole story.

Car started exhibiting a dead battery behavior - starter would try to crank the flywheel with a lot difficulties, the lights would deem on the dashboard and the car won't start. I jump started it without any problem, tried to trickle charge the battery after I was done driving, but next morning it was the same story. I got a new battery, swapped it and it was all good for a ride or two.

Then it won't start again. This time it will not even try to turn the engine, the lights stayed on without dimming on the dashboard. I tried to jump start it and the same result. The guy outside said he heard some clicks, but I didn't hear anything.

So I figured the starter is dead. Solenoid or relay, or just fried. Mechanic said it happens sometimes when the battery is dead as well. New starter went in and it was ok for a ride or two. Then back to not starting at all with the same symptoms - no sound of the starter at all on start, lights are solidly on. It would start maybe after 5+ fails eventually like there was no problem. Then it would not start again.

Now I know it was not a starter. I tried different keys and even inserting the key one way or another thinking maybe it's immobilizer. But the green key light on the dashboard is not flashing - comes on and goes off when it start or when it doesn't. Maybe ignition lock has a loose contact? Maybe clutch sensor (TL6MT)?

Another thing that was troubling me was the fact that I had none of the behavior before i swapped the battery. So I'm thinking maybe I half-assed the batter connection - I tried to be quick not to lock out navi/audio. But then I realized the mechanic that swapped the starter had to get the battery out.

Anyway - I disconnected the battery, cleaned it all thoroughly and tightened it as much as I could fearing I will strip the bolts.

Same thing. Maybe it starts more often then before, but still here and there it won't do anything. Starts with a push and a clutch drop with no problem by the way. And runs fine otherwise.

Any ideas what I can check/do? I'm out of ideas.
Old 02-21-2023 | 09:05 AM
Racer

I would check all the battery cable connections related to both positive and negative; i.e. to the chassis ground, starter, fusebox, etc, make sure there's a solid connection, cables are in good condition, etc.

Sounds like a bad cable connection somewhere.
Old 02-21-2023 | 09:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe
I would check all the battery cable connections related to both positive and negative; i.e. to the chassis ground, starter, fusebox, etc, make sure there's a solid connection, cables are in good condition, etc.

Sounds like a bad cable connection somewhere.
i tightened the ground connection on the negative cable, but didn't follow the positive. i wonder if it makes sense to replace the positive and negative cables.