Car Farting! I'm Serious!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Car Farting! I'm Serious!

Recently my 04 TL has developed a bad case of gas. If I drive on the highway for about 5 minutes and come to a hard stop, after a few seconds of stopping the car will make a high-pitched fart sound (very brief) from the front, passenger side area. As well if I pull into a parking lot and someone slam's the passenger side door, the car makes the noise; however it only does it once. I think it may be the A/C compressor, but I'd like some advice from you guys.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Is that before or after you eat some tacos?

But on the serious note, lol, if you put in park and someone slams the door, and it makes that noise, it may be the rubber valves in your trunk which releases the cabin air.. if you pull off the carpet cover on the left side of your trunk, you will see it, i believe there 3 rubber flaps that allow for the air to escape.. so one maybe kinda sticky, making a farting noise... assuming when you are coming to a hard stop the air is shifted, same with the slammed door.. This is just a weird, random guess... The farting noise is usually made by air shifting fast thru a tiny opening...

Also check your power steering fluid.. any bubbles?

And where is the noise coming from?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Is that before or after you eat some tacos?

But on the serious note, lol, if you put in park and someone slams the door, and it makes that noise, it may be the rubber valves in your trunk which releases the cabin air.. if you pull off the carpet cover on the left side of your trunk, you will see it, i believe there 3 rubber flaps that allow for the air to escape.. so one maybe kinda sticky, making a farting noise... assuming when you are coming to a hard stop the air is shifted, same with the slammed door.. This is just a weird, random guess... The farting noise is usually made by air shifting fast thru a tiny opening...

Also check your power steering fluid.. any bubbles?

And where is the noise coming from?

if theres bubbles, tha means its bad?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Zigma
if theres bubbles, tha means its bad?
Yes, there could be an air leak, and the air is trapped in the canister/hose, so when you are turning your steering wheel, you'll hear a wooshing bubbling vibrating noise...

To get rid of it, I'd replace the power steer fluid, just in case, and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, and hold for 1 sec, and then all the way to the right, hold for 1 sec.. The system itself should get rid of the air bubbles... I'm sure there is a detailed explanation in the 3G Garage.

I had this problem in my 2G TL. Check your hoses...

Aj, sorry for hijacking!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
Yes, there could be an air leak, and the air is trapped in the canister/hose, so when you are turning your steering wheel, you'll hear a wooshing bubbling vibrating noise...

To get rid of it, I'd replace the power steer fluid, just in case, and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, and hold for 1 sec, and then all the way to the right, hold for 1 sec.. The system itself should get rid of the air bubbles... I'm sure there is a detailed explanation in the 3G Garage.

I had this problem in my 2G TL. Check your hoses...

Aj, sorry for hijacking!
I will check soon, i think i saw some bubbles, not sure. If so, I'll get it changed, np! thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

no bubbles in the PS canister, but like I said before it happens when the front passenger door is slammed, and it's coming from that area by the front wheel. the same thing happens if I make a hard stop!

Also no taco bell for me, it's like a drive thru laxative store!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Does it ever do it when hitting bumps in the road ? I am trying to figure out if the jolt of slamming the door or sudden braking is causing it. If so, then hitting a small bump in the road would too.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Does it ever do it when hitting bumps in the road ? I am trying to figure out if the jolt of slamming the door or sudden braking is causing it. If so, then hitting a small bump in the road would too.
large bumps and medium bumps do it but every so often, not the smaller things like road imperfections.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Just to let you know that I have been thinking about this. But, My first thought did not pan-out.

I was thinking that it was a vacuum motor (diapham) used in the air cond ducting. Older cars used vacuum lines going to a rubber diapham (aka, vacuum motor) that would move the divertor vanes (doors) within the AC ducting to direct/route the air flow.

As cars woulld get older, these diaphams would become sticky. So, vaccum would be applied, but it was not until a bump would jar it loose did they move.

I checked the TL Service Manual. Our TL do not use these vacuum motors. The TL uses actual electrical motors.

So, back to square one for me in looking for a cause.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts