Car drifts to the left

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car drifts to the left

I have a 2004 Acura TL (A/T) that drifts to the left. I have recently replaced the tires and it's gotten a lot better; however, the problem is still there. The issue is more prominant when when braking. I have talked to a mechanic and he's telling me that the suspension might have been set back on the LF and that the factory toe adjustment on the car will not correct the pull. He's advised me to get an adjustable upper ball joint.

Any input on this issue is much appreciated.

BTW, my old tires had uneven tread wear on them too. I'm worried that my new ones will experience the same issue.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Typhoon!
I have a 2004 Acura TL (A/T) that drifts to the left. I have recently replaced the tires and it's gotten a lot better; however, the problem is still there. The issue is more prominant when when braking. I have talked to a mechanic and he's telling me that the suspension might have been set back on the LF and that the factory toe adjustment on the car will not correct the pull. He's advised me to get an adjustable upper ball joint.

BTW, my old tires had uneven tread wear on them too. I'm worried that my new ones will experience the same issue.
First thing, get the alignment checked and then report back. Any time (IMHO) you get new tires, you should have the car aligned...

These cars are prone to have the rear toe go out of spec on a regular basis (yearly) and the rear camber usually sits at the maximum negative spec (-1.5 degrees).

In the meantime, are you the original owner? Has the car ever been in an accident?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
First thing, get the alignment checked and then report back. Any time (IMHO) you get new tires, you should have the car aligned...

These cars are prone to have the rear toe go out of spec on a regular basis (yearly) and the rear camber usually sits at the maximum negative spec (-1.5 degrees).

In the meantime, are you the original owner? Has the car ever been in an accident?
I'm not the original owner. I did get a CARFAX report before I bought it and also took it to the dealership for a full inspection.

Does it have anything to do with the compliance bushings? since my front wheels track to the left and Acura once told me those are ripping.

Also, if I did the alignment with no success, would I need to redo it after other suspension repair?

Last edited by Typhoon!; 10-15-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I'm not the original owner. I did get a CARFAX report before I bought it and also took it to the dealership for a full inspection....
Full inspection? Did that include putting it on the rack and checking the alignment? I doubt it. Get it aligned.

Does it have anything to do with the compliance bushings? since my front wheels track to the left and Acura once told me those are ripping....
Maybe....Get it aligned first...

Also, if I did the alignment with no success, would I need to redo it after other suspension repair?
First things first, get it aligned....

Oh, did I mention the first basic thing you should do is have the alignment checked and then work from there??

Also, I'd recommend going to Firestone and buying their lifetime alignment deal.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 10-15-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

^ Alright! I'll do the alignment and will report back. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

How were the original tires worn?

If your mechanic is right, I would get to the root of the problem which is a bent component. Adding an adjustable ball joint is just masking the real problem.

Just for the heck of it, you might want to inspect the LF brake to make sure nothing is hanging up. This is unlikely but if it's sticking, it will show obvious signs of overheating.