Car was broken into. Now VSA + ! Warning light on. Car NOT in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car was broken into. Now VSA + ! Warning light on. Car NOT in limp mode

This is everything I can think of that could be useful information:

Car was broken into. Every feasable compartment was opened. Everything was gone through. Part of my trunk system was ripped out of the car. power cables for my sound system were cut along the door trim and at the battery. Fuse box under dash was tampered with. battery was disconnected for two days (before i noticed my car was broken into)

Drove it home from the scene of the burglary. Passenger Airbag warning light came on intermittently (NOT the weight sensor for the passenger's seat).

Codes were pulled. Checked out. And cleared (by apperently and acrua dealership. car was not in my posession at the time)

I had my car a few times during the repair process and had to replace my drivers rear brake pads. I think my caliper piston is not sliding because one of my brake pads was completely gone, where all others were fine (reason for the temp pad replacement until I have money to figure this problem out.)

Drove it a bit after brake job with no problem.

Back into the shop for a few days to replace rear interior door and do a detail.

Immediately leaving the shop (a week or so after replacing the brake pads) VSA and ! Warning light are on constantly.. and I cannot toggle on/off VSA as a result. I am not going into limp mode. I have 40% oil life and the car performs just fine.

Is it a crappy coincidence?

Could the break in have anything to do with it?

Or did I mess something up replacing the pads? (Again, driver's rear pads)

Or could it be the caliper piston not sliding?

I would suspect it being an issue with the brakes but since one of my pads was GONE (metal to metal) I assume the piston has not been sliding for a while now so the warning lights should have come on a long time ago?

Insight would be great. I need to know if I can push for the insurance to cover the issue since it happened presumably as a result of the break in and hopefully is not just an unfortunate coincidence

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
crap ! sorry to hear this...