Can I remove these dents and scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
you can use scratch x. just wax after you use it.

repaint...speak to body shop...usually they repair the area, but need to blend the paint to the whole panel to match the car.

its probably rust. is the paint gone and its done to metal?
I guess around the edges of the dent, the metal is exposed. I didn't really notice them before. I also noticed some paint beading. Like if there was too much paint, it would bead into like a tear drop. Would that be a sign that the previous owner it that area repainted or is that common with Honda/Acura paint?

Speaking of wax, I get horrible streaking now. I used ONR wash, qd spray, then dried. Clayed, wiped off the lube, then used spray wax. I later on used qd spray to wipe something off, then I noticed I these nasty streaks. Usually qd spray just wipes off or evaporates cleanly. Is it the wax or maybe the colder weather?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by burntrat
I guess around the edges of the dent, the metal is exposed. I didn't really notice them before. I also noticed some paint beading. Like if there was too much paint, it would bead into like a tear drop. Would that be a sign that the previous owner it that area repainted or is that common with Honda/Acura paint?

Speaking of wax, I get horrible streaking now. I used ONR wash, qd spray, then dried. Clayed, wiped off the lube, then used spray wax. I later on used qd spray to wipe something off, then I noticed I these nasty streaks. Usually qd spray just wipes off or evaporates cleanly. Is it the wax or maybe the colder weather?
tear drops or beading is NOT normal. usually a bad paint job. have a body shop look at it.

the streaking...if you are doing this first thing in the AM or late evening...the moisture in the air and cold temps will cause this streaking (the product does not have a chance to evaporate, this is where a little bit of product goes a long way). i think i told you that some products do not like to be applied in cold temps (less than 50 degrees). if the car is in the sun so it is a little warmer than the air temp...it should wipe off no problem. you can spray and wipe when the sun is out (just not during the hot summers is all).
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
tear drops or beading is NOT normal. usually a bad paint job. have a body shop look at it.

the streaking...if you are doing this first thing in the AM or late evening...the moisture in the air and cold temps will cause this streaking (the product does not have a chance to evaporate, this is where a little bit of product goes a long way). i think i told you that some products do not like to be applied in cold temps (less than 50 degrees). if the car is in the sun so it is a little warmer than the air temp...it should wipe off no problem. you can spray and wipe when the sun is out (just not during the hot summers is all).
All these things are making me regret buying this TL.

So, I can just spray more qd spray and wipe off when it's a littler warmer? No need to re wax or anything?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
All these things are making me regret buying this TL.

So, I can just spray more qd spray and wipe off when it's a littler warmer? No need to re wax or anything?

no need to wax if you've already waxed (which i think you have multiple times). light spray with the qd wipe off. no need to rub your arm off. if you get the light streaks, get the dry side of a clean MF and then gently buff off (like practically no pressure). or just wait until the sun pops out and it should be fine. it sounds like you're more OCD then i am. if the car is clean...its clean. if you get dust or pollen, you can invest (or ask santa) to bring you a CA duster. i use this lightly before putting my car cover back on.

the rust colored spots...i'm gonna say its rust. you're not the only one with snowflakes in your clearcoat i'm sure there are others. those are the risks of buying used. i've had mine since new so it's been treated well and taken care of properly. my MDX after two yrs probably wasn't well taken car of (from a paint perspective). it looks better now than when i bought a few months ago. don't fret, just enjoy the car and when the funds come in you can decide if you want to get the paint flaws fixed.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Viewer beware...you're about to look at the dirtiest TL on this forum.
I know, I definitely need to clean it. I am learning the steps and obtaining the right supplies at the moment.
Is possible to get rid of these flaws myself (or by a professional). Or are these permanent and what can I do to prevent it from getting worse? I would prefer to do it myself if possible. I am new to the car world and enjoy learning new things (it just needs to be dumbed down for me).

This was on there before I purchased the car. I didn't think nails could do that to a car.

This is totally my fault. Noob can't seem to get distance down.

The size is about a nickel maybe? My guess is, it came from a door accidentally slamming into me in a parking lot or someone at work doesn't like me.

and this thing...I don't know what it is, but I call it the snowflake. It is about the size of a quarter. I think I have another somewhere, but I couldn't find it under all the dirt.

5. I forgot to take pictures of it, but the black rubber lining? around the sunroof seems to be fading/drying out. Is that more of a wash and wax question?

Appreciate any help. I really want to keep this car as long as I can. I want it running and lookin' gooood forever...

regarding the paint issue in the first pix, try rubber alcohol, i had the same issue like u and i wiped the area with rubbing alcohol and it worked like magic....most of them disappear...that moment i knew those weren't scratch...
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
burntrat...#5, the rubber around the sunroof...use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rubber...it will not only liven it up it will protect it, great stuff...