Can Dealer Adjust Fuel Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Dealer Adjust Fuel Gauge?

The overly conservative fuel gauges on our cars has already been discussed, but I am getting sort of tired of the level of error in mine. For example, my car is on "E" and the low level light is illuminating with 4 gallons remaining. That means I still actually have about a 1/4 tank of gasoline at that point! So I ran the car until the range was at zero and then drove another 20 miles. When I filled up I still had a 2 gallons remaining. I understand Honda's thinking in the need for a conservative system, however this is taking that too far.

My question is, as on my previous car, can the gauge be computer adjusted by the dealer? After six months of ownership this is really the only annoying part of the car.

Bob
Old 06-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I am pretty sure the fuel gage cannot be adjusted by the dealer or anyone else for that matter.

You are not the only one who is annoyed by this attempt to protect the people who don't know how to fill their tank when necessary.

You may have seen this already, but here is my information on the workings of the fuel tank and gage.

Originally Posted by Ron A
This info is excerpted from a very long thread I started about fuel tank capacities, etc. and is based on actual and precise testing

a. When the low fuel warning light comes on, if you are getting 25 mpg you can go 94 miles, but if you are only getting 20 mpg, you can only go 74 miles. Of course, other miles per gallon figures will result in different results. This means you have approximately 3.7 gallons remaining.

b. When “miles to empty” (2004TL) or “range” (2005TL) reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you can still go 57 miles at 25mpg, but only 45 miles at 20mpg. This means you have approximately 2.3 gallons remaining.

c. When filling the tank, if you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.

d. The tank will actually hold about 19 gallons, but it is not recommended to fill the tank to capacity, so stop at the first shutoff.

If you want to read the whole thread, go here http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71425
Old 06-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Ron,

I had seen your previous post and have used it to judge how far I can go on "E". One thing I have noticed on my 2005 is I have been unable to put 19 gallons in the tank and have had an overflow attempting to do so.

The bottom line of me is "E" should mean "E" (or very close to it)! I do not like playing the guessing game of how much fuel do I really have (a 1/4 tank is should not register as empty). And if I were to follow the guage, I would be filling the car every 240 miles.

My previous car was a Saab 9-5 and it offered adjustments for the fuel and temperature gauges, and just about anything else and that was from a car designed in the mid 1990s. This car should be the same.

Making a semi big deal of the fuel gauge is a very small part of this great car. Although it took me a few months to adjust to a stiffer suspension, I am overall 100% satified with the car.

Bob
Old 06-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Racer

Ironically, because the fuel gage is so inaccurate, i actually ran out of gas because I stopped paying attention to E a long time ago.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Is it really an inconvenience of filling the gas when it reaches E?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If everyone knows there are 4 (3.7) gallons left when the little light comes on and 2.something when the MTE reads 0, what's the big deal? You know how much gas you have at that point, so you should be able to figure out how much more you can drive before running out...

Or as someone wisely asked...

Originally Posted by cTLgo
To which I add, who cares how much is really left, just fill the damn tank...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meathead
Ironically, because the fuel gage is so inaccurate, i actually ran out of gas because I stopped paying attention to E a long time ago.

That IS ironic.

And I'm not even going to point out that your handle is appropriate (sorry man, I couldn't resist...but you did run out of gas )
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cTLgo
doesn't bother me but you know this forum everyone has some complaint or another. i bet if the E light was more liberal and only came on when there was 2 gallons left people would be complaining that the car did not warn them sooner. you can't satisfy everyone but just most people.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by caball88
doesn't bother me but you know this forum everyone has some complaint or another. i bet if the E light was more liberal and only came on when there was 2 gallons left people would be complaining that the car did not warn them sooner. you can't satisfy everyone but just most people.
i think you probably are correct. tl owners are the biggest complainers i have ever seen. i thought infiniti customers were bad but you would not believe what 3rd gen tl customers complain about. they are worse than rl owners. every other tl ro i get has some sort of bs complaint.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

what is the big deal? fill it up after the light comes on and you will be fine. I find this to be a stupid complaint.